Badgers chopped down by Gophers 37-15

Leckrone has been an amazing energy for the music program. He will be dearly missed. I agree, on the P.T. Barnum comparison.

I watch the Badgers every year and see some amazing things. Kids who aren't offered scholarships at the DI level coming in as walk-ons, and contributing to make the team better. I also see a huge list of kids from Wisconsin on the team. Home grown kids, who were Badger fans from the time they started following football. They're living their American dream, as a Badger.

Then I hear how the Badgers will never amount to a lot because they don't "hire" football players. They have high academic requirements, and don't sell out on them. Yet, despite all our "shortcomings" in Madison, and the knocks against our program, we stand #6 in the nation in winning programs since 2009. What the hell! That's a "bad program," a "loser?" Bull! The Badgers are a successful program, and the time is coming when they'll win that first national championship.

Give me kids who want to play at UW, and keep working on recruiting outside the state as well, because eventually it will all come together, and when it does, they'll carry that damned National Championship trophy home with pride, because they earned it by being a team where even those who don't go on to the NFL will have a future off the gridiron. I'll take Wisconsin any day.

NCAA DI best programs since 2009

What people forget is that Alvarez used the preferred walk on program to build his program from the start. My son went to the Badger football camp after his junior year in HS, and they ended up watching him his senior year. Because my son's school was fairly small, he wasn't offered a scholarship, but would be very welcome as a walk on. I wish now that I had advised him to do that, instead of going to another school, where he ended up blowing out his knee, and out of football.

Leckrone has been an amazing energy for the music program. He will be dearly missed. I agree, on the P.T. Barnum comparison.

I watch the Badgers every year and see some amazing things. Kids who aren't offered scholarships at the DI level coming in as walk-ons, and contributing to make the team better. I also see a huge list of kids from Wisconsin on the team. Home grown kids, who were Badger fans from the time they started following football. They're living their American dream, as a Badger.

Then I hear how the Badgers will never amount to a lot because they don't "hire" football players. They have high academic requirements, and don't sell out on them. Yet, despite all our "shortcomings" in Madison, and the knocks against our program, we stand #6 in the nation in winning programs since 2009. What the hell! That's a "bad program," a "loser?" Bull! The Badgers are a successful program, and the time is coming when they'll win that first national championship.

Give me kids who want to play at UW, and keep working on recruiting outside the state as well, because eventually it will all come together, and when it does, they'll carry that damned National Championship trophy home with pride, because they earned it by being a team where even those who don't go on to the NFL will have a future off the gridiron. I'll take Wisconsin any day.

NCAA DI best programs since 2009
I don’t think we will see a National Championship in my lifetime for many reasons

Recruiting is not going to change much. The state pool is weak, 38th in Power 5 offers and skill position kids are just not there with a couple of expectations (Gordon, Toon).

The budget is just average. We will not be able to attract a $5m+ HC and pay a staff with competitive compensation.

While we should compete for the West title every year it’s going to take a perfect storm to beat OSU, PSU, Michigan each year. And then to beat a SEC, ACC type in a playoff will be difficult

Is it a bad progam no. It’s 9-3 , 10-2 type of things fall right and if the cross over schedule is favorable like last year your occasional rank of 4rh or 5th is possible

I realize your reasoning is sound. No doubt about it. But it's that old story of David slewing Goliath. It does happen.

1954 Indiana State Basketball Champions, as chronicled in Hoosiers

Hebron HS, Illinois State Champs

But relating to Wisconsin, twice, so close to winning it all, both times against USC in the Rose Bowl. #1 vs #2. It was 1963, and I was there, and will never forget that game. It was close. Damned close. One more minute on the clock and I believe the Badgers would have won that mythical National Championship. 1963 Rose Bowl, National Championship game

It's coming Pack.... count on it. I remember, back in the 50s, how fans from around the NFL said that the Packers would be gone in a few years. Disbanded. They couldn't exist in the world of the big boys, they said. You can talk about revenue sharing and anything you want, no matter how you look at it, they are still there, and how it happened doesn't matter. What does matter is they are still there. Even as a kid, I bought stock because I believed, and guess what? We're still here.

I realize your reasoning is sound. No doubt about it. But it's that old story of David slewing Goliath. It does happen.

1954 Indiana State Basketball Champions, as chronicled in Hoosiers

Hebron HS, Illinois State Champs

But relating to Wisconsin, twice, so close to winning it all, both times against USC in the Rose Bowl. #1 vs #2. It was 1963, and I was there, and will never forget that game. It was close. Damned close. One more minute on the clock and I believe the Badgers would have won that mythical National Championship. 1963 Rose Bowl, National Championship game

It's coming Pack.... count on it. I remember, back in the 50s, how fans from around the NFL said that the Packers would be gone in a few years. Disbanded. They couldn't exist in the world of the big boys, they said. You can talk about revenue sharing and anything you want, no matter how you look at it, they are still there, and how it happened doesn't matter. What does matter is they are still there. Even as a kid, I bought stock because I believed, and guess what? We're still here.

The college landscape was so much different in 1963. More money involved, now we have a playoff system. I can't see it Not sure what you mean twice vs USC for a natty. The 63 game was the first #1 vs #2 in bowl history. As to GB, if there was not revenue sharing they would be a team in GB but it could not compete in the NFL as it is today

I don't really want to bag on Hornibrook because as 'Keg' said he's a great kid. Still, when you are the starting QB for a team that has top-10 type expectations most years it's fair to talk about what you see as limitations. The college game has changed to the point where the QB needs to have at least some reasonable ability to make a play on his own when things break down.

You also don't need to run a "spread" offense to at least force teams to play defense sideline to sideline to open up the inside running game a bit more. I've watched team after team stack the box with 7 players between the tackles and sometimes having them sneak a safety into the area as well with Rudolph calling inside runs play after play after play.

It would take a near miracle combination of things to go right for UW to win a NC. You'd have to have the Russell Wilson year offense along with the 2016/17 defense and you'd have a chance. I won't be holding my breath.

Lastly, recruiting will always be a little tricky for UW because of geography. Yes, BB was slightly better in Florida - he had about 15 recruits in his last 5 years from that state and PC has about 10 in his 5 seasons of recruiting. That said it's interesting that there really hasn't been a ton of impact players from Florida - either under BB or PC. A significant percentage of those FL players were only marginal in terms of impact.

One 7-5 year should not be a shock. If anyone thought 10-2 to begin year they had too many adult beverages. This team especially on defense was young with no depth. You had backup OL playing DL and lost your best DL for the season. Secondary was Dixon and nobody else. This is not OSU or Michigan and reload. Won’t ever be
You're right, anyone expecting this team to win 9 or 10 games this year was not paying attention to the youth/inexperience on the field this season. That being said, taking the ball out of Taylor's hands and putting it into Hornibrook's against the Gophers pretty much guaranteed a loss (they passed the ball more than they ran it).
BTW . . . I have a friend here in Dallas with a Doak Walker vote who told me this weekend that his vote is going to Taylor.

Reactions: TW
You're right, anyone expecting this team to win 9 or 10 games this year was not paying attention to the youth/inexperience on the field this season. That being said, taking the ball out of Taylor's hands and putting it into Hornibrook's against the Gophers pretty much guaranteed a loss (they passed the ball more than they ran it).
BTW . . . I have a friend here in Dallas with a Doak Walker vote who told me this weekend that his vote is going to Taylor.
Dallas, 'ey? I split my time between Cedar Park, Liberty Hill, and the RGV (Weslaco). Glad to hear about that Walker award vote heading towards Taylor. The guy is one of the best I've seen, and I've been watching them all since Alan Ameche.

Back