Free Agents and Player Releases in 2021

My feeling is GB will want a 4 yr deal rather than 5 yr deal.
It will come down to total guarantees and size of signing bonus
Yes and let me add I am sure there is discussion on cash flow and bonus payouts

Good article on Packers cap situation next year. Packers are projected to be nearly $25 million over next years salary cap. To sign draft picks and RFA's talking another 5-10 million in cap space so will need to clear 30-35 million off the cap. So even if you cut a bunch of guys and restructure deals it still will leave little to no money to bring back any of the Packers UFA's.

Some of the potential cuts that could be coming are pretty easy to identify.
Preston Smith - save $8M
Christian Kirksy - save $6M
Rick Wagner - save $4.25M
Dean Lowry - save $3.3M
Josh Jackson - save $1.3M
That’s ~$23M

Then an early extension for Davante Adams could create ~$6M additional cap space.
Adrian Amos could be a casualty as well, but I’m not ready to go there quite yet.
No doubt they will need to leave their normal comfort zone when it comes to contracts this off season

Preston Smith - save $8M

using packinatl's every-other-year theory about preston smith, next year will be a good one for him.

Preston Smith - save $8M
Christian Kirksy - save $6M
Rick Wagner - save $4.25M
Dean Lowry - save $3.3M
Josh Jackson - save $1.3M
That’s ~$23M

Then an early extension for Davante Adams could create ~$6M additional cap space.
Adrian Amos could be a casualty as well, but I’m not ready to go there quite yet.
No doubt they will need to leave their normal comfort zone when it comes to contracts this off season
Going to clear some cap space also as likely will convert Bak roster bonus to SB and Z. Smith will have money converted to a SB.

One big guy you can't go to is Rodgers has 30+ million cap number but if the team plans to move on from him after next year I doubt they want to push more dead cap money forward.

I figured they would tweak Bak’s contract.
Z? Maybe, but it’s year 3 of a 4 yr deal. You only do it if you plan on him staying beyond those 4 yrs. Jmho

Rodgers contract may get a small tweak, if some of that money is still guaranteed (I’d have to go look, but no time right now), because they would have to eat it anyway.
When becomes the secondary question.

I figured they would tweak Bak’s contract.
Z? Maybe, but it’s year 3 of a 4 yr deal. You only do it if you plan on him staying beyond those 4 yrs. Jmho

Rodgers contract may get a small tweak, if some of that money is still guaranteed (I’d have to go look, but no time right now), because they would have to eat it anyway.
When becomes the secondary question.
All of Rodgers guaranteed money has been paid out. Only dead money now is prorated SB and Restructure Bonus money.

Then they could still take part of next years money and convert to signing bonus to push it out over 3 yrs rather than just in one year.

not saying they will or should.
Just that it becomes an option

Then they could still take part of next years money and convert to signing bonus to push it out over 3 yrs rather than just in one year.

not saying they will or should.
Just that it becomes an option
To me it’s more is he willing to do it. Most extensions like that you have to sweeten the pot a little and they also have to be careful with cash out.

To me it’s more is he willing to do it. Most extensions like that you have to sweeten the pot a little and they also have to be careful with cash out.
Also if team is planning on moving on after 2021 You likely keep Rodgers as what he's at not to add to the dead cap hit after you move on.

Back