History Repeated/ From Here Now

Terranimal

Reaction score
They say if don't learn from the past, then history will repeat.

We didn't lose Adams to career ending injury like we did with Sharpe and Brooks, but this isn't the first time we have lost our prime weapon on Offense.

Go back to the 80's when society wasn't like it is now and probably still one of the greatest WRs Packers ever had and had we not traded him away, might have had all the records that even Adams might not have broken.

It was a long hiatus after Lofton until we would have another great when we drafted Sharpe. Sterling was another one if not for career ending injury might have had all the records. There was a couple of years where he out did the GOAT Jerry Rice.

Now as for history repeating, back with Sharpe and a young Favre, Favre Keyes on Sharpe and really the cupboards were empty in his early years until Wolf started filling it up with free agents and drafted players.

One of those was Robert Brooks. Unlike when Lofton was shipped out Would had a WR pipeline going. Brooks was next line and when he suffered a career injury there was Freeman in place. And so it went for years with the torch passed on..Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Adams.

Been seeing this day coming 4 years ago when we would lose Adams either to deteriorating or free agency or whatever. Have been saying we needed to draft another possible number 1 WR for years..

Now it has caught up w the Pack w cupboards basically bare again.

This is one of the most important drafts in team history imo, with Rodgers here for an unknown time and nearing retirement.

That said not only does Gutey need to hit on players but also not fall into being short sides on immediate time and not overall building this team for years to come.

Gutey's drafts have left a lot to be desired. He has to get this one right as this team is on the borderline of going backwards.

There's no doubt we have to draft some WRs. The question is will he get us the next Brooks/Freeman or will we be like the years in-between Lofton and Sharpe?

They say if don't learn from the past, then history will repeat.

We didn't lose Adams to career ending injury like we did with Sharpe and Brooks, but this isn't the first time we have lost our prime weapon on Offense.

Go back to the 80's when society wasn't like it is now and probably still one of the greatest WRs Packers ever had and had we not traded him away, might have had all the records that even Adams might not have broken.

It was a long hiatus after Lofton until we would have another great when we drafted Sharpe. Sterling was another one if not for career ending injury might have had all the records. There was a couple of years where he out did the GOAT Jerry Rice.

Now as for history repeating, back with Sharpe and a young Favre, Favre Keyes on Sharpe and really the cupboards were empty in his early years until Wolf started filling it up with free agents and drafted players.

One of those was Robert Brooks. Unlike when Lofton was shipped out Would had a WR pipeline going. Brooks was next line and when he suffered a career injury there was Freeman in place. And so it went for years with the torch passed on..Driver, Jennings, Nelson, and Adams.

Been seeing this day coming 4 years ago when we would lose Adams either to deteriorating or free agency or whatever. Have been saying we needed to draft another possible number 1 WR for years..

Now it has caught up w the Pack w cupboards basically bare again.

This is one of the most important drafts in team history imo, with Rodgers here for an unknown time and nearing retirement.

That said not only does Gutey need to hit on players but also not fall into being short sides on immediate time and not overall building this team for years to come.

Gutey's drafts have left a lot to be desired. He has to get this one right as this team is on the borderline of going backwards.

There's no doubt we have to draft some WRs. The question is will he get us the next Brooks/Freeman or will we be like the years in-between Lofton and Sharpe?
I don't think you can use the 80's or the Wolf era as any kind of a comparison Terranimal, I understand your point but the game and the league have evolved in salary cap and how things are structured that going back to those eras and then looking at now isn't really fair.

I think he needs to have a good B plus draft but the thought process he has to hit out of the park is a bit much IMHO.

I don't think you can use the 80's or the Wolf era as any kind of a comparison Terranimal, I understand your point but the game and the league have evolved in salary cap and how things are structured that going back to those eras and then looking at now isn't really fair.

I think he needs to have a good B plus draft but the thought process he has to hit out of the park is a bit much IMHO.
I get your point, and we hear it often about the different eras, which I wholeheartedly agree, but what I took from Terranimal's post was that the Packers need to start hitting on some WRs thr next few drafts. The bottom line, in my opinion, regardless of era, is that you need players. You need talent. This draft needs to hit and restock on the talent. That was my take away from the post.

Yes and No T, I think they need 2 WR in this draft but in a perfect world, this offense isn't built like the past two coaching staff either. You really can be successful running the ball and using the short passing game in their structure which to be blunt doesn't have to have an Adams type guy to work well.

Case in point look at the personal group in terms of talent vs GB that drove down the field for the game-winning FG, That wasn't a group of world beaters but they executed to perfection. Talent is important but the sheer amount of folks that tend to sidestep coaching, culture, and execution sometimes astound me.

The bottom line is you have to look at the whole picture and look at it this season and 3-5 seasons out. With that said I am not going to completely get bent unless they start drafting a guy from bumwater state in round 2.

GB will draft 2-3 WR's in this draft. Also after the draft will look to add maybe a cheap vet or two. Right now cap is issues.

But T I disagree with you on Gutes drafts not being good. Look at his first two rounds. He has done very well drafting in this first 2 rounds getting a lot of starters.

I get your point, and we hear it often about the different eras, which I wholeheartedly agree, but what I took from Terranimal's post was that the Packers need to start hitting on some WRs thr next few drafts. The bottom line, in my opinion, regardless of era, is that you need players. You need talent. This draft needs to hit and restock on the talent. That was my take away from the post.
Good to bring up the difference between drafting and hitting. Until last year, GB hadn’t used a prime pick on a WR since Adams. Then last year they traded up for Rodgers and used a prime pick on him but it was a big whiff. More WR have come in in the past 2-3 years and contributed right away, they’ve gotta grab one guy like that.

Good to bring up the difference between drafting and hitting. Until last year, GB hadn’t used a prime pick on a WR since Adams. Then last year they traded up for Rodgers and used a prime pick on him but it was a big whiff. More WR have come in in the past 2-3 years and contributed right away, they’ve gotta grab one guy like that.
Just think had GB had the firepower to move up for Justin Jefferson couple years ago. Rumor was he was who they wanted but would not give up what it took to go that high to get him. My guess would have taken a future first.

Amari is gonna be a weapon.

GB will draft 2-3 WR's in this draft. Also after the draft will look to add maybe a cheap vet or two.
good lord. just how many wrs do you envision on the team this year? six would be the max imho. and with a reduced focus on passing, it may well be five - especially if we get a decent tight end.

Back