Imagine a salary cap reduction

TW

Reaction score
This year is a given. Ironing out the money is a big stumbling block. Next year the league owners may be looking at a $70 million cap reduction. It probably won't be that much but anywhere between $30 and $70 will be a huge hit for teams who have escalating scale contracts with players. It's also going to hit free agents pretty hard. Then there's teams that will be stuck with a player under contract no matter what because they can't afford the escalated hit by having to absorb guaranteed money they'd already paid.

Watching the next year off the field is going to probably be more exciting than watching the games this year.

I think 2021 is a flat cap, neither party wants a reduction for obvious reason. The negotiation is do you take a one year hit or spread it out over 5-10 years. Considering new TV money hits in 2021. Ownership will want a one year hit, NFLPA would like 10 years.

I think 2021 is a flat cap, neither party wants a reduction for obvious reason. The negotiation is do you take a one year hit or spread it out over 5-10 years. Considering new TV money hits in 2021. Ownership will want a one year hit, NFLPA would like 10 years.
I don't think owners will agree to spread it out over entire CBA but players will fight and get it to be spreadh out of 3-5 years

I'm anxious to see how the TV money plays out. I have high hopes that the DirecTV throttle over viewing disappears. I'd be very happy if I could watch the Packers games via a service like Amazon Prime. It's time for change.

I don't think owners will agree to spread it out over entire CBA but players will fight and get it to be spreadh out of 3-5 years
NFLPA wants it spread out for obvious reasons, but as soon as the 2nd year hits they will start crying about it that it's not fair. They are hoping that the new TV money will more than offset it and then try to renegotiate.
This is all about current players (by the way, they are the people influencing the NFLPA) getting as much as possible now, not caring about the future (other than hoping they can weasel out of it).

I'm anxious to see how the TV money plays out. I have high hopes that the DirecTV throttle over viewing disappears. I'd be very happy if I could watch the Packers games via a service like Amazon Prime. It's time for change.
The only thing I know about the DirecTV situation is that the league is adamant about a non exclusive deal moving forward. Now how that plays out is anyones guess but educated guess is 3 players will get involved in the streaming package are Amazon, Apple and Disney. As to the actual TV deals, look for MNF to move to ABC, possible simulcast with ESPN. Thursday Night, would not surprise me if FOX stepped in

NFLPA wants it spread out for obvious reasons, but as soon as the 2nd year hits they will start crying about it that it's not fair. They are hoping that the new TV money will more than offset it and then try to renegotiate.
This is all about current players (by the way, they are the people influencing the NFLPA) getting as much as possible now, not caring about the future (other than hoping they can weasel out of it).
And TV money should / will offset it. I really think its in the best interest of both sides to spread it out. A one year hit will create chaos on some of the longer term deals and some cap concessions will need to be made

I wonder if they'll do like MLB and NBA. Offer two types of packages. Individual team only, or entire league. It gives a person a feeling that they're at least not trying to dump on you like DirecTV has over all these years.

I had my fill of DirecTV, after paying for Sunday Ticket for years, when they made it an added price for HD, and for other perks that went along with the basic game. It became a game of bleeding more and more money out of people instead of making it a service that was promoting itself. I guess, when you own the only game in town, you can screw everyone as much as you want because they can't watch without you.

I wonder if they'll do like MLB and NBA. Offer two types of packages. Individual team only, or entire league. It gives a person a feeling that they're at least not trying to dump on you like DirecTV has over all these years.

I had my fill of DirecTV, after paying for Sunday Ticket for years, when they made it an added price for HD, and for other perks that went along with the basic game. It became a game of bleeding more and more money out of people instead of making it a service that was promoting itself. I guess, when you own the only game in town, you can screw everyone as much as you want because they can't watch without you.
My guess is no, it would be a similar package to Sunday Ticket but more accessible. Remember NBA and MLB the league basically runs the package, NFL is more in the business to gauge networks for all the cash they can. And I am not sure they could scale individual team packages, lot of logistics like national games on "free" TV. I do think at some point a PPV option comes up but again can work for the provider, its all about buy rate, ad $$ and / or subscriptions

Reactions: TW
I have this sneaking suspicion that no matter how much people try to control the future with the games, Amazon is going to be right there, with a piece of the action. They have really solidified a foothold in markets.

Back