Is Rodgers Responsible for Team Woes?

oakleaf

Reaction score
The expectations for Rodgers this year were too high when you consider he's coming off a broke collarbone and then injuring his knee in Game one. However, worth more consideration are the tools Rodgers has been given to work with. By this, I mean the offensive players selected in the draft and from FA. (And we can ignore FA!)

In 2011 the offense was great, and the Capers defense first showed signs it won't be as great as we thought it would be evidenced by getting steadily worse over the years until his dismissal. After the 2011 season there have been seven drafts. During those seven drafts since 2011, only five offensive players were selected in the first three rounds! (Spriggs, Montgomery, Adams, R. Rodgers, Lacy) Further, zero offensive players were selected in the first round during that period, and zero offensive players were selected in the Top 3 rounds of the last two drafts!

Statistics show that drafting is about 50/50 offense to defense overall, and 49/51 offense to defense in first three rounds. No team drafted as many defenders and few offensive players as the Packers since after that 2011 season.

I bring this up because of all the sports media and fan noise about Rodgers poor performance, the team's performance being his fault and that he has too much authority. When in authority, people acquire the necessary weapons/tools to help them win and succeed. In fact, the lack of offensive weapons and seeming inability to acquire any would indicate to me that Rodgers has had very little authority. Since 2011, Packer management strategy appears to be, "Why get more offensive weapons when you can rely on your WMD to win?"

Rodgers is a great QB and GB is fortunate to have him. Last year Rodgers was injured. This year is really the first year he struggled. However, blaming our woes on him is myopic. It's time to give the offense and Rodgers more weapons and we'll see a return to greatness.

Note: I used the Top 3 rounds only because of statistics saying over a five year period, roughly:
  • 15% of ALL draft picks start
  • 65% of 1st round picks start
  • 40% of 2nd round picks start
  • 35% of 3rd round picks start
  • 10% of 4th round picks start
  • 5% of 5th round picks start
  • 2% of 6th round picks start
  • <1% of 7th round picks start
Over 60% of starters were selected in the first three rounds.

You don't get that excuse when you're the highest paid player in the league. You're the highest because you are supposed to be able to elevate everyone around you.

That being said. It's not all on Arod ... TT rightfully deserves a fair amount of blame for ignoring the offense for so long.

After the 2011 season there have been seven drafts. During those seven drafts since 2011, only five offensive players were selected in the first three rounds! (Spriggs, Montgomery, Adams, R. Rodgers, Lacy) Further, zero offensive players were selected in the first round during that period, .

Well you had Cobb, Nelson, Adams, and Jones at some period past 2011 so was there really a need up until 2 years ago to draft a WR high with so many issues on defense? Now TE is different story but they messed up with Cook and Bennett. I don't disagree we needed to add a WR 2 years ago but at the expense other areas I am not sure

Well you had Cobb, Nelson, Adams, and Jones at some period past 2011 so was there really a need up until 2 years ago to draft a WR high with so many issues on defense? Now TE is different story but they messed up with Cook and Bennett. I don't disagree we needed to add a WR 2 years ago but at the expense other areas I am not sure
Adams is no slouch. It isn't the #1 WR GB is missing. It's the 2/3 WR and a decent TE. The whiff in TE has hurt alot.

And that is exactly the reason why Capers should have been let go 3-4 years earlier than he was. The defense was given more draft captial and still returned garbage results. In the meantime, the offense aged/retrograded.

If MM had manned up and canned Capers after the 2014 season (OT loss in NFCC in SEA), he might still have his job and GB might have better overall team talent.

Adams is no slouch. It isn't the #1 WR GB is missing. It's the 2/3 WR and a decent TE. The whiff in TE has hurt alot.

Maybe should have just bit the bullet and extended Cook, even when he asked to more money.

I know.....................................hindsight 20/20

You don't get that excuse when you're the highest paid player in the league. You're the highest because you are supposed to be able to elevate everyone around you.

That being said. It's not all on Arod ... TT rightfully deserves a fair amount of blame for ignoring the offense for so long.
You don't get what excuse? That you're coming off an injury or playing the best you can on an injured knee, or you didn't motivate your teammates enough to their potential/capability (which is intrinsic, BTW)?

And that is exactly the reason why Capers should have been let go 3-4 years earlier than he was. The defense was given more draft captial and still returned garbage results. In the meantime, the offense aged/retrograded.

If MM had manned up and canned Capers after the 2014 season (OT loss in NFCC in SEA), he might still have his job and GB might have better overall team talent.

Thats are much on Thompson as Capers...Worthy, Neal, Datone Jones, Thornton, even Perry to some extent more drafted out of position.

YES!!! You draft for the future and never stand pat.

Thats are much on Thompson as Capers...Worthy, Neal, Datone Jones, Thornton, even Perry to some extent more drafted out of position.

Sure it is. But Pettine has had less to work with this year than Capers ever did and even though the results are uneven, they have played better than almost all of Capers defenses did from 2011-2017

Back