Is the Packers defense for real?

well yes and no. Some of those lanes and gaps were so wide Raji could have gained 5 yds per carry and it not just this week but Minny and Denver had success. entire front 7 was exposed a bit

I know it’s not all on Blake, but I hope the org doesn’t make the mistake of extending him for a lot of money. He’s primary line of defense on a lot of these plays and he just doesn’t attack the hole the way real difference making LBs do.

well yes and no. Some of those lanes and gaps were so wide Raji could have gained 5 yds per carry and it not just this week but Minny and Denver had success. entire front 7 was exposed a bit

Agreed on the gaps, but the way the Packers lined up on defense, at the line of scrimmage, we were asking for it to happen. The only line of defense we had beyond the front line was Martinez, and he had 10 solo tackles and 5 assists. Next was Amos, who recorded a ton as well. We were trying to cover a wide front, and if two blocks materialized, and they could chip Martinez, or he was frozen as a spy on Wentz, there was no defense until 10 yards up field.

As soon as the Eagles saw that front, they must have known that concentration of two blocks would spring a runner. You could see it coming, when the Packers lined up on defense.

Front seven last night pretty much meant that we had a 7 man defensive line, with Martinez trying to plug over half the line of scrimmage from sideline to sideline. I don't care who you put on that job, and I've said it before, with Barnett and Hawk, people can point their finger and say; "Too slow," but that's not the problem. To make it work, you need to constantly have a front three on the field that can pressure a QB, and turn blockers into tools they use to take down runners. I don't see that, and I quite honestly am tired of hearing from the organization how good some of these guys are, then watch them dump them the following year, realizing that they weren't nearly as good as they thought.

I honestly believe that the last really good interior defensive lineman we had was Raji. He did exactly what needed to be done, to anchor the middle of the defensive line, and because of his play, required two blockers on anything run inside both tackles. Until we get that, it doesn't much matter.

3rd weeks in a row same issue, where was the answer the last 2 weeks?
On the bench, possibly. Montravius has been out. How much has Kingsley played? Dunno, but let's see what Pettine can bring to bear. He bsits teams into running, that's part of his plan. He believes it is harder to win in the NFL by running the ball.

bsits teams into running, that's part of his plan. He believes it is harder to win in the NFL by running the ball.

This doesn't work when teams are gashing you at will in the run game, in fact it's a great way for them to get momentum back while down and cool off our offense. It's how Minny and Denver got back into their games, and how Philly got back into this one and took the thing over. Giving up a run here or there while preventing big plays is one thing, but if Pettine's plan is to give up 7 minute drives and 6-7-8 yards per carry on first down all while hoping for a pick in the redzone, that plan needs to be flushed down the nearest toilet.

On the bench, possibly. Montravius has been out. How much has Kingsley played? Dunno, but let's see what Pettine can bring to bear. He bsits teams into running, that's part of his plan. He believes it is harder to win in the NFL by running the ball.
If they were the answers they would be getting reps. His “plan” has been creating pressure and forcing TO’s

If they were the answers they would be getting reps. His “plan” has been creating pressure and forcing TO’s
Well Montravius has been hurt, Kingsley is a rookie. Might be working him in slowly.

You know, Gary got his sack with his hand in the dirt. He's very good stuffing the run, when he holds the edge. Don't discount him lining up there either. Zedarius too, if he's healthy.

This doesn't work when teams are gashing you at will in the run game, in fact it's a great way for them to get momentum back while down and cool off our offense. It's how Minny and Denver got back into their games, and how Philly got back into this one and took the thing over. Giving up a run here or there while preventing big plays is one thing, but if Pettine's plan is to give up 7 minute drives and 6-7-8 yards per carry on first down all while hoping for a pick in the redzone, that plan needs to be flushed down the nearest toilet.
I thought the defense played "well enough" to win. Could have been better. But what killed us were ST, officiating (you win some, you lose some, yesterday we lost some) and INJURIES.

We were RIGHT THERE to win that game, despite it all.

So I rewatched the tape and here is what I saw:

Defense

In the first half they played OK. Nerd, you are correct. The two ST's gaffs killed us in the 2nd quarter. I blame Crosby for both. If he kicks the first kick off in the end zone, we have no issue. And we know what happened with the 2nd one. However, the D missed a huge opportunity on a 3rd and 1 at the 50 when they stopped Wentz behind the line on the sneak and then let him get it on the 2nd effort. I will say, Fackrell was big time lazy on that play. He was stopped but not down and Fackrell was right there to grab him and pull backwards but he stood there and watched Wentz get the 1st down. I also understand the point TW is making with how we were lined up and having Martinez the only ILB. He was also 8 yards off the line of scrimmage. Not sure why you have your ILB playing off that far but he was. Very tough assignment but he was washing out many times by a lineman on running plays and he just does not have any instincts. He is waiting for the RB and does not get to the hole until the RB is 3 yards down field. He also read the running play wrong and what hole the RB was going to hit numerous times in the game. Not impressed with Blake so far this year.

Offense

We ran the ball OK in the first half. Jones had a TD and had a few solid 5 to 6 yard runs. 2nd half not as good but we passed much of the game since it was working. AR played really well on Thursday but again he had numerous check downs to Jones and Vitale and continues to look downfield. He also looks at Adams way too much. Now is Adams open most of the time? Yes but he also has other open WR's or RB's and misses them. I think RP mentioned this last week with some videos on some plays. Both drives in the 1st half when we got FGs, AR had Jones and Vitale open underneath and he forced both to Adams and the passes were in complete. They both would have been 1st downs and we may have gotten TD's off those drives. Lastly, we had at least 3 TD drops on the 2nd to last drive before we were on the 1 yard line. I did not like the calls on the 1 yard line but if the WR's do their jobs, we do not even have the issue. As for the last drive and the INT, I really do not blame anyone. Unlucky there. Looked like a rub screen for MVS and he did not get his hands up in time. Could they have called PI? Maybe but it was close. I do not blame AR for not looking at Shepherd because he did not look open at first and MVS did. Like I said unlucky but also a good play by the Eagle D.

I really think they have to play Goodson on D more. He helps that run D. We need 2 ILB's. We may get caught with ILB's on TE's or a RB but if we don't I think we will continue to get gashed in the running game. Just my opinions.

One thing Wes Hodkiewitz brought up in the Packers podcast is that the Packers D hasn't been rotating players much. Which is probably why they had so few mistakes, keeping younger guys on the bench.

But then when it comes to a Thursday game with a 4 day turnaround, your guys who played 80-90% of snaps aren't gonna be as fresh as those guys who rotated in and out on Sunday.

Still, I thought the D played "well enough" to win. They are not what cost us this game imo.

Back