Last second shots by Trice

TW

Reaction score
I keep hearing how the Badgers want to have the ball in Trice's hands as the game is on the line. Why? He ends up passing on chances to get the ball to guys who are wide open, and dribbles the clock down until he takes an off-balance, low percentage shot, and the Badgers end up not getting crucial points.

He has the 9th best shooting percentage on the team, and is less accurate at 3 point range than Pritzl, and about equal with Davison, both of whom are left standing with open shots, while Trice kills their chances.

Trice should do what Trice does best. Play point guard. Let others do the shooting. It's disappointing watching this happen, and knowing it will, before it does. In fact, watching the Illinois-Wisconsin game, I told my wife exactly how it was going to play out.

"How did you know?" She asked. "Seen it before. It keeps repeating itself."

As good as Gard may be, he's not really seeing this problem for some reason. Turn others loose to put up shots, and have Trice work hard to reach double digits in assists, not lead the team in missed shots every game.

The play got blown up. Reuvers was to set a ball screen for Trice but ball went to Davison off missed FT. Reuvers came up to set screen for Davison, who kicked to Trice on left side (less congestion). No time for screen so Trice drove. Passing lane was cut to Pritzl who was supposed to get the shot

One other thing, Trice is not a point guard, more of a 2 guard. Unfortunately Strickland who was recruited to play point transferred. Bowman coming in should help next year and Hepburn in 2021

Still not sold on this being a tourney team 9-6 has a lot to prove.

Still not sold on this being a tourney team 9-6 has a lot to prove.
Its top 30 in NET rating, they just beat a top 15 on the road...its funny they win 4 in row, 2 on the road and crickets, lose one game and its the death march

Saying he's not a point and that he's a shooter means he shouldn't be handling the ball in those situations, since he's 9th best shooter on the team. That said, why is he taking those crucial shots?

I never did think he was a good point, and quite honestly, I have no idea why Gard thinks handing him the ball and having Davison stay out of the way, except on defense, is smart. Davison proved, as a true freshman, that he has the shooting skills, and the savvy to play shooting guard. Yet, here we, are aren't we? Trice either thinking he's the shooting guard, and Greg Gard thinking he is.

Nobody is saying the wheels have come off the bus. There's some good talent on this team, but it has to be utilized, not sit and watch Trice fumble the ball and game away because he won't pass, when he should.

So, why did Strickland transfer out? Because he wasn't going to get playing time behind Trice. We'll never really know if Strickland could do the job or not. I'm not judging whether or not he should have gotten playing time or not. That's not what I'm saying here. I'm saying that Trice ain't that damned good, no matter what I've heard since before the season started. He's not even an average point guard.

But, Trice could be a decent point. He just needs to use his speed to drive to the bucket more, and dish off to the bigs when defenses sag on him, or dish to the sides, where we have solid 3 point shooters. He could prove to be a valuable part of the team. As of now, his dribble and shoot desperation shots is killing us!

As of now, I believe they could get an invite to the tourney. They have a lot of emerging talent, but they need to utilize it, not let things go the way they are.

Davison is not a point guard either. He’s not quick. As a matter of fact if not for his defense I would rather see Wahl on the floor. The whole flop thing is in his head and Hummel alluded that the other night, i don’t trust his shot right now.

The play broke down, it happens. Pritzl was in the in the corner for the shot. If anything I would like to see King handle the ball more but he so effective in post I like him there.

There is not a true point on the roster. As to Strickland he wanted to hoist up a 25 footer than play point. Just not a fit and I think the old man got in the kids head.

it should never have come down to that shot. Second half defense was awful. I honestly don’t mind Trice as a shooter. The issue is he inconsistent just like everyone else right now.

The bigger issue on that play was spacing, King and Pritzl especially. I get the issues at point neither Trice or Davison excel at creating their own shot or a shot for a teammate.

I'm not talking about one play, in one game. I'm talking about a repeat performance that happens too often, even with the shot clock. Trice gets it in his hands with en estimated 12 seconds on the clock, he stands on the outside with no movement, as the clock winds down. Even when guys get open, he doesn't pass it. Instead, he waits until there's about 5 seconds left, than starts his "move," which fails, because they even bring up a second defender on him. All that's left is him trying a desperation shot, or in some cases, even getting stripped of the ball. It's also happening when it's a must score possession, and he doesn't drive to the bucket when it's clear, then decides to go for it, after the lane has clogged, because players are changing position.

It's the way he plays, and it's constant. There's a reason he's #9 in FG percentage, and yet, about 4th in scoring, and throws up the 2nd most shots. As for his assists and steals, 3.3 and 1.0, not that much to show for someone who's playing point. It's time they make a change. It's obviously not working.

In my opinion, and that of a friend who was a 35 year high school basketball coach with three state championships in Illinois under his belt, at a high level, Trice doesn't seem smart enough to understand his role, and his level of play has not really advanced since he was a freshman. It's frustrating. We need to see Davison handling the ball more, with combinations that include two from Pritzl, Ford, and King on the floor, because of their ability to work for open shots, and Davison's ability to draw attention to him, and make the dish to get that shot.

I guess we can agree to disagree, as I said before neither Trice or Davison excel at creating their own shot or a shot for a teammate, neither is a true point guard. For that matter there is not a true point on the roster. Trice is playing that position by default, one big reason is that he can matchup with a true PG on defense, As good of a defender as Davison is he cannot guard a true point or someone quick on the perimeter, case in point Dosunmu or Griffen . And when you watch this team its actually better with Wahl on the floor and not Ford.

Back