Mike Reinfeldt to introduce Ted Thompson at Packers Hall of Fame induction

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Ted Thompson and Mike Reinfeldt played together in Houston and worked for the Packers. Reinfeldt to introduce Thompson for Packers HOF induction.

home

Continue reading...

Will Ted even be there?

Thought I heard he might not be well enough to attend!

Will Ted even be there?

Thought I heard he might not be well enough to attend!
Yeah I heard that too but my guess if they announced this he must be up to the trip. Though would not be shocked this is last time we see him in GB.

pretty sure i saw an interview of gute after the draft where he said ted would be there.

Honoring him this soon means that his condition has advanced far enough that they want him to at least enjoy the moment for all the hard work he did for the team in the beginning. Nobody can say that he didn't start off doing well, or that what's happened to him isn't a shame, obviously not of his choosing.

I've known several NFL players who have suffered from mental health problems after retiring. I think it's a shame that for too long "getting your bell rung" meant you took a handful of aspirins and went back out on the field.

Thompson deserves our support, as fans, because he was the GM when we won our last Super Bowl, and he obviously was part of the factor that made it happen.

Yup, I'm guessing his condition is forcing this to be accelerated.

Some people really seem to dislike him and feel he was totally incompetent, but the truth is that he was a good GM with one major flaw - he did not use FA enough as an additional tool to build the team. He built one Super Bowl winner and barring that epic collapse against the Seahawks would have had them in a second Super Bowl with a solid chance of victory.
That is when things really started to go downhill. Not sure if Ted was already somewhat compromised at that point or not, but his drafting and lack of FA moves became problematic after that. Likely was not helped by the talent drain that occurred in the front office. His last few drafts were just plain bad and are the root cause of where things stand right now.

Yup, I'm guessing his condition is forcing this to be accelerated.

Some people really seem to dislike him and feel he was totally incompetent, but the truth is that he was a good GM with one major flaw - he did not use FA enough as an additional tool to build the team. He built one Super Bowl winner and barring that epic collapse against the Seahawks would have had them in a second Super Bowl with a solid chance of victory.
That is when things really started to go downhill. Not sure if Ted was already somewhat compromised at that point or not, but his drafting and lack of FA moves became problematic after that. Likely was not helped by the talent drain that occurred in the front office. His last few drafts were just plain bad and are the root cause of where things stand right now.

Totally agree 57.

And I do feel that Ted was becoming progressively compromised over the last 4-5 years that he was at the helm.
For a GM/Team that was nearly exclusively reliant on drafting/developing/keeping in house talent, his last 5 drafts are the evidence of the dearth of talent that was the Packers roster when Ted was replaced by Gute.
I have no ill will towards Ted. Just sympathy and empathy.
But I do wish that Murphy and the BOD had paid closer attention to what was happening inside to Football Operations department at 1265 Lombardi Ave.

Here's the remaining players from his last 5 drafts (which if done well, would have numerous players on their 2nd contracts)

2013 - David Bakhtiari
2014 - Davante Adams, Corey Linsley
2015 - Zero/Zilch/Nada
2016 - (Still on rookie contracts) Kenny Clark, Jason Spriggs, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Dean Lowry, Trevor Davis
2017 - (Still on rookie contracts) Kevin King, Josh Jones, Montravious Adams, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones

Lot's of rumors about what Ted's health issue is. Most rumors point towards some form of dementia.

As a son, I took care of my father, who had dementia, for the final 4 years of his life, and I can attest first hand as to how this condition affects memory and decision making. It would not be hard to imagine, if Ted's condition is neurological in nature, that his decision making processing could have been degraded and resulted in draft picks that just weren't up to his standards of his earlier drafts.

He deserves his place in the Packers HOF, no question about it.

Ted Thompson belongs in the Packers Hall of Fame. I'm glad he got in and given what I've heard about his health, I'm glad we're doing it now. (In my opinion, we waited too long with Reggie and then didn't do it when he wanted which I felt he deserved.)

I never had a problem with Ted Thompson's Free Agent approach. He set an amount he was willing to pay and walked away from the deals if the cost exceed the amount he was willing to pay.

Now, in the later years of his career something certainly seemed off. But if as many are assuming his issues were related to a mental decline, it's the Packers fault for not recognizing and moving him to a less controlling and more honorary position. To me it looks like the Packers Brass was fat and sassy and sitting on its ass.

I wish him well.

Back