Official Packers vs Niners NFC Championship Thread

If you are looking for some optimism, here's a big reason to think this game will at least be competitive.

In the November Niners game, Bulaga played 9 snaps. In 2 of the Packers' 3 losses, Bulaga played less than 40% of the snaps (he played 28 snaps against the Eagles).

Alex Light played 70 snaps against the Niners. Alex Light will not play against the Niners this time. Bulaga should be good to go and, if he's not, Veldheer is a legit NFL OT. Veldheer is not an All-Pro, but he's not a Jason Spriggs/McCray turnstile out there like Light was (at least at this stage of his career).

For the Packers to be competitive, their OL has to give Rodgers a chance. With Bulaga they are likely to be. With Veldheer they have a chance to be.

Veldheer is Bruce Wilkerson a quarter of a century later.

It's hard to come up with tangible reasons why the Packers will beat the 49ers. Especially when you consider that Kwon Alexander, Dee Ford, Robbie Gould and Joe Staley were out and GB was coming off a bye for their first meeting, which is not the case this time around. SF is easily the better team on both sides of the ball and on paper, and we're playing in their back yard again.

So, if the Packers are to win, it's the intangibles such as: SF may come in overconfident after their first meeting; the motivation of revenge after being humiliated last time; OL will play above themselves and won't let themselves be embarrassed again after what happened to Rodgers last meeting; Rodgers appeared a much more accurate against Seattle; Packers have yet to put a complete game together, they're due; the Packers are a team that does just enough to WIN; this time we have Swervin' Ervin which means better field position and touches on misdirection runs and passes while Sherman is draped on Adams...

Okay, so with my brain turned off, my reaches on the intangibles above, and my green and gold glasses firmly planted on my face here is my reckless prediction:

Packer 17-14 in a battle won in the trenches

Gotta run the ball to bring the Safeties down, like Nagler said on Cheesehead tv. But when you do throw, gotta get that ball out!

You need to be able to adjust routes mid-game to accommodate the time you have based on the pass rush. Often, it's a guessing game, so you hope you guess right often enough, or that they stick with tendencies.

LOL I see Marks comments makes me think of Shannon Sharpe commenting on Ray Buchannon.

All the talking heads I heard during my drive from San Diego to Ventura this morning, doubt we can win unless Rodgers is the Super Rodgers of Old.

I agree. Running might slow the 9ers pass rush, but Rodgers of Old that ate blitzes and pressure like brats without chicks watching is what we need.

Regarding playing with house money. I think that's short sighted. You only get so many chances at a Championship. Right or Wrong, we're here. They need to win now.

Back