Packer Draft Grades

This is from FoxSports.. I highlighted what to me is the most important part of this:

Green Bay Packers: B

It wasn't the petty draft I would have hoped for, but the Packers took Lukas Van Ness out of Iowa at No. 13 overall with the intention of playing him inside rather than on the edge. That alone makes me feel better about them not selecting a pass catcher in the first round, though it means Green Bay will field eight first-round picks on the defensive side of the ball alone this coming season. The defense is out of excuses.

Clearly, taking a receiver at No. 13 was too rich this year — Jaxon Smith-Njigba didn't come off the board until No. 20. But Green Bay did address pass catchers on Day 2, taking two tight ends and a wide receiver. Jayden Reed out of Michigan State may actually be my favorite of the picks for the way he can complement the Packers' other young wideouts. —Vitali
Exact and to the point. Everyone from Gutey on down is out of excuses for defense. Coaches, players, everyone. This unit needs to play like a unit with 8 first-round picks (and that includes the playoffs) or the defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt.

This is from FoxSports.. I highlighted what to me is the most important part of this:

Exact and to the point. Everyone from Gutey on down is out of excuses for defense. Coaches, players, everyone. This unit needs to play like a unit with 8 first-round picks (and that includes the playoffs) or the defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt.
If they underperform to open the season i don’t think Barry will last half way.

Anyway, I’m always an optimist after the draft, seeing the new guys show up to see what they can do is always interesting.

I still think the Packers wanted to hire Leonhard as DC but he wanted to take year off and thus why team is giving Barry another year. If Barry sucks again Packers will go back to Leonhard to see if he changed his mind and wants to get back in the game.

For what grades are worth right now for the Packers. Pretty much everyone seems to think while not a home run draft it was a solid draft to help the rebuild.

NFL.com A-
PFF B+
Sporting News C- (for what it's worth Sporting news gave Indy an A+ despite drafting Richardson)
Draft Kings B-
NY Post B
Fox Sports B
SI B+
First off . . . I didn't realize the Sporting News was still around - or is this a new one?
I looked at a handful of reviews, in how overall they ranked the Packers draft compared to all 32 teams; and for the most part, they pretty much all had the Packers draft ranked "better than average".
I think there is always going to be debate around players when you get to day 3. Players get selected that others had as UDFA, but I think there's always that caveat where the teams see something in a player that fits their scheme better than others, so they take some chances, especially rounds 6-7.

I guess having only seven first round picks on defense was a good enough excuse.

Back