Packers Early 53 Roster Thread

Long as he can play thru his contract.
After 2022 Packers would take $23 million cap hit cutting him but save about $6 million in cap space.
After 2023 Packers would take $11.5 million cap hit cutting him but save about $23.5 million cutting him.

I wouldn't bet the other ball on Rodgers playing 2 more years.... I think it's a one yr at a time type thing with him IMHO.
If Rodgers would retire after year GB is up podo( creek without a paddle with a $100 million dead cap hit.

I wouldn't bet the other ball on Rodgers playing 2 more years.... I think it's a one yr at a time type thing with him IMHO.
I'm not betting! The way that contract has been done though, it would be fairly devastating to carry that cap hit next year for a guy who isn't on the team, I have to think they have a sense that he's more willing than not to go two more years to cover that phase of the contract.

However, there has been a lot of turnover on the coaching staff, if he doesn't like the vibe with Steno I can see him walking away. Wouldn't shock me.

If Rodgers would retire after year GB is up podo( creek without a paddle with a $100 million dead cap hit.
There is some complicated wording in his contract which might give some flexibility

• $101.515M guaranteed at signing (2022 salary, 2022 roster bonus, 2023 salary, 2023 option bonus)
  • 2023 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2025 compensation): $58.3M (guaranteed)
  • 2024 Option Bonus (to exercise the 2026 compensation): $47M (injury guaranteed at signing, fully guarantees the 5th day of the 2024 waiver period)
  • Declining either of the 2023-2024 options converts the base salary for that year into the bonus figure ($58.3M, $47M respectively)
If my interpretation is correct declining the option would give both parties the option to convert the cash and also spread it out. Remember NOLA did a similar thing with Brees

I think he might have agreed to stay until Love is ready. Not sure, they gave him a lot last year, and they seem to have a new sympatico. Now they say they are taking it year by year. It's kind of strange.

Back