Packers Fire Mike McCarthy & named Joe Philbin interim head coach

It might be too much to ask, but Murphy has a chance to fix his messed up management structure in this process. I'd like to think Gute makes the HC hire, which probably means Zook, Petinne, and Philbin recieve nice parting gifts on their way out. I hope they use this limbo time to evaluate some of the backup talent on the roster, so they can cut bait with some.

I'd guess Matthews, Cobb, Bulaga, and maybe some other high usage players aren't back next summer too.

Firing him now is harsh, but if you're planning to do so anyway, it's better to just pull off that band aid now. You don't want to keep the franchise in limbo for the next month as the noise builds from the fan base. Now they can start the process of lining up their candidates without having to make false denials to the press about McCarthy's job security.

No reason to let a guy go out and get wins in a season where it doesn't serve you. You immediately get an idea of if he was the problem based on Philbin's coaching and adjustments. If we struggle even with changes in playcalling, touches, and personnel packages, and player intensity then it could be a much larger problem than McCarthy.

McCarthy deserved to be fired at the end of last season with Dom. I think he has milked enough kindness out of the Packers. Good on Murphy for finally not coming off as too much of a coward to make a decision.

Don't feel sorry for McCarthy, $6,000,000 is $300,000 for 20 years. Most could live with that

With Philbin becoming interim HC, I wonder if Gute didn't orchestrate getting him back to Green Bay to be his man inside, to evaluate what McCarthy was doing?

Just me but you don’t evaluate most guys in 4-5 weeks you use a full body of work. Too many variables. If Gutes doing his job he had a pretty good indication of who’s saying and who’s not. Exception is Boyle. You have to figure out what you have there. Position is to important

I think choice has been made the Packers are moving out with old guard and in with new guard. Only one who has some security with being part of old guard is Rodgers. You will see lot more of Ted's players gone after this season I think.

Better for MM and the Packers that it happened sooner rather than later. The rumors and questions were only going to become more of a distraction. We are now first in line to talk with any college coaches. MM gets a break before deciding which way he wants to go. Maybe could have waited till Monday - but it is what it is.

With Philbin becoming interim HC, I wonder if Gute didn't orchestrate getting him back to Green Bay to be his man inside, to evaluate what McCarthy was doing?
Not at all.... article on him this weekend, Philbin said it was MM who called him and orchestrated his return.

Back