Packers Fire Mike McCarthy & named Joe Philbin interim head coach

Not at all.... article on him this weekend, Philbin said it was MM who called him and orchestrated his return.

I didn't read that article. That answers part of my question. It pretty much tells me they don't really intend keeping Philbin as a coach after the end of the season. That said, I seriously believe McDaniels will be the front runner. The Packers are going to spend the money they need to spend, to make it happen, and he could be the perfect person. He's both offensive coordinator and QB coach if I remember right. Could be the perfect combination in GB.

The only question on McDaniels is if he would be willing to take the job in Green Bay, considering the tough decisions that need to be made over the next two years, dismantling and rebuilding the franchise pretty much around Rodgers, Jones, Bakhtiari, Linsley, and Adams. We might be able to add a couple of this year's rookies to the keeper list, and Allison.

At that point, you have to think like McDaniels would. Who would he pick to be his DC? You can count on him looking for the best, not a buddy like we see way too often in these decisions.

I certainly hope we don't reach into the college ranks to bring someone in who will flounder for three or four years, then get canned. I keep thinking about the Dan Devine era, and it gives me a reason to take two aspirins and take a nap.

Wow. Maybe it was 4 years overdue--not because he's a bad coach, just because losses like the one to Seattle in the NFCC set programs back. Maybe a year, maybe several years. Combo of that loss and TT's terrible recent drafting made it unsalvageable for McCarthy.

Still really surprising that he didn't make it to the end of the season. Locker room and offices must have been a pretty bad environment for this to happen?
In my opinion it was a couple of years overdue, and they should have started clean over last off season when they made the change with Gutey and TT. Unfortunately for MM though, it's not just that they lost, at home, to a 2-9 team; it's that they lacked any energy or focus. A couple of weeks ago my wife said "it couldn't get any worse" . . . unfortunately, it did get worse.

I certainly hope we don't reach into the college ranks to bring someone in who will flounder for three or four years, then get canned. I keep thinking about the Dan Devine era, and it gives me a reason to take two aspirins and take a nap.
shots)

A lot of guys can go 10-6 and win a playoff game every 2 seasons with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Which is essentially what McCarthy did in Green Bay. Make no mistake, Mike McCarthy is not a good NFL head coach and never was.

If you take away 2010, Mike McCarthy won 6 playoff games in 12 seasons and had a 1st ballot HOF QB in all 12 of them. Yeah we did win the SB in 2010, but it was an anomaly if you look at the other 12 seasons. Even 2010 you can make a case there was some bad coaching going on, McCarthy had an absolutely stacked roster and still needed a week 17 win to grab the #6 and final seed. The Packers lost a bunch of games that season because of bad coaching. They over came it with supreme talent and a little luck.

Only got the playoffs bye 3 times in 13 seasons, in a for the most part weak NFC North and a pretty mediocre NFC. That's a joke.

There's a ton of bad NFL head coaches that could do what McCarthy did in 13 seasons with a first ballot hall of fame QB in all 13 of them.

I shut off the TV after the game and went out to dinner. My grandson called me with the news - not really a shock. I'm mildly pleased that he is gone. There was a lot to not like about his coaching even in better years.

This could go one of two ways: We could get a guy who feels the need to rein in Aaron Rodgers, do more early down running, etc. OR we could get somebody who would play the whole game like most 4th quarters - unleash Aaron Rodgers, stop wasting early downs with running plays, etc. Everybody in here should know which one I prefer.

Anybody we get is gonna have some major adjusting to do. Wherever the guy coached, it's safe to say he is used to having an O Line that can actually block somebody as we basically don't. Wherever the guy came from, it's damn sure he didn't coach the best QB in football. It's also fairly likely whatever team the guy was with had better defensive personnel than the Packers have.

I can take or leave Pettine. It wouldn't bother me at all if a new coach brought in somebody else. While it's true the Packer D personnel isn't what it should be, arguably the personnel was as good or better this season and unquestionably, the results were worse. That translates to Pettine's schemes not being worth much. tc(

It will be an interesting off season. Whoever gets the job moves into a fantastic situation - Aaron Rodgers healthy and motivated alone makes this team top tier.

A lot of guys can go 10-6 and win a playoff game every 2 seasons with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Which is essentially what McCarthy did in Green Bay. Make no mistake, Mike McCarthy is not a good NFL head coach and never was.

If you take away 2010, Mike McCarthy won 6 playoff games in 12 seasons and had a 1st ballot HOF QB in all 12 of them. Yeah we did win the SB in 2010, but it was an anomaly if you look at the other 12 seasons. Even 2010 you can make a case there was some bad coaching going on, McCarthy had an absolutely stacked roster and still needed a week 17 win to grab the #6 and final seed. The Packers lost a bunch of games that season because of bad coaching. They over came it with supreme talent and a little luck.

Only got the playoffs bye 3 times in 13 seasons, in a for the most part weak NFC North and a pretty mediocre NFC. That's a joke.

There's a ton of bad NFL head coaches that could do what McCarthy did in 13 seasons with a first ballot hall of fame QB in all 13 of them.

And here is where I disagree. As much as we bitched at Wolf for not giving Favre weapons, Thompson did a piss poor job the last 5 years restocking this team. Yeah he and a few 10-6 records but also won 11 two time, 13 once, 12 once and 15 once. If you base your success on draft and develop you better hit at 75% and Thompson did not. Sean Payton going 7-9 3 seasons in a row with a HOF QB makes him a bad HC and how many SB's? No, did it make Shula a bad HC with Marino around him no. Yeah its nice to have a HOF QB but it does not guarantee success. Its still 53 players and 2 sides of the ball. The mess in GB is yes part McCarthy but there is more blame to go around

Last edited:
The college game today is much different that before and so many of the principles are used today. See the interest in Kingsbury. for every Devine there is a Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Green. I get the argument against but I think you have to look at the evolution of the game

The college game today is much different that before and so many of the principles are used today. See the interest in Kingsbury. for every Devine there is a Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Green. I get the argument against but I think you have to look at the evolution of the game

I disagree. The number of college teams that run offenses and defenses that translate into the pro game aren't as plentiful as people think. I don't want to see anyone who needs to be taught how it works. Then there's the fact that the "successful" coaches in the college ranks are primarily in that position because of their recruiting skills, and a raft of top level assistants which are plentiful, moving up. In the NFL, parity comes through the draft, and losses of key pieces every year due to contracts with players. You need look no further than Nick Saban who was a horrible NFL coach but as good as they get at the college level.

A good college coach coming in and spending two or three years learning the nuances of the game, and how to deal with players, union issues, and the complexity of today's NFL, fine, but not at the head of a billion dollar business. It's like having a guy who can fly a Piper Cub better than anyone else, stepping into a 747 and saying; "I got this!," and immediately taking over a route.

I disagree. The number of college teams that run offenses and defenses that translate into the pro game aren't as plentiful as people think. I don't want to see anyone who needs to be taught how it works. Then there's the fact that the "successful" coaches in the college ranks are primarily in that position because of their recruiting skills, and a raft of top level assistants which are plentiful, moving up. In the NFL, parity comes through the draft, and losses of key pieces every year due to contracts with players. You need look no further than Nick Saban who was a horrible NFL coach but as good as they get at the college level.

A good college coach coming in and spending two or three years learning the nuances of the game, and how to deal with players, union issues, and the complexity of today's NFL, fine, but not at the head of a billion dollar business. It's like having a guy who can fly a Piper Cub better than anyone else, stepping into a 747 and saying; "I got this!," and immediately taking over a route.

I look at pro teams today that incorporate college principles into their offense with success. Philadelphia, Carolina, Houston, KC, LA to name a few. College coaches have to deal with alumni, boosters and yes many college programs are million dollar businesses. Does it always work no, but neither does elevating a coordinator who have ran the same system for 15 years

way back when mccarthy was first hired i said it was a bad choice. he was coming straight off being an oc for the 49ers, who were dreadful (ranked 30th in the nfl in points scored and dead last in yards gained). his packers connection was that he was brett favre's qb coach in 1999. after that he became the saints oc for five seasons where he achieved very mediocre results in four out of five seasons. as the packers head coach, he had two hall of fame qbs to work with and in 13 seasons made it to the superbowl one time. i believe there are a lot of coaches who could have done a lot better.

Back