Packers Release Jordy Nelson

This is a brutal cut, but he wasn't worth his pay I'm sorry. He looked done to me.

yeah, i don't think any rational person will dispute that. especially if what we saw in the last nine games of last season is a true indicator of what he has left in the tank. but i don't think the first six games of the season were as bad as mcginn would have us believe. he averaged 4.1 catches per game (right in line with his career average). and although his yards per reception were down, he still had six touchdowns. i think he can still be a better receiver than a veteran minimum kind of guy. i mean paul richardson just got paid $40 million over five years and he has only had one out of four season where he had more than 300 yards. yeah i know one player is on his way up and the other is on his way down. but it seems that jordy ought to be worth at least a couple million to some teams.

I was going to leave this be but after the thread and comments on shout... I changed my mind. I get the business end of the move. However other teams take players like Nelson and change them to a # 3 possession WR that find holes in the zones and carves teams up in the red zone. No more 15 plus yard routes..find the hole and catch. However when your HC is a stubborn ass who won't change you have no choice but to do what GB did.

He may never be an all pro but in the right fit, 700 yards and 6-9 TD is realistic. Hopefully he doesn't come back and haunt us in a playoff game.

I was going to leave this be but after the thread and comments on shout... I changed my mind. I get the business end of the move. However other teams take players like Nelson and change them to a # 3 possession WR that find holes in the zones and carves teams up in the red zone. No more 15 plus yard routes..find the hole and catch. However when your HC is a stubborn ass who won't change you have no choice but to do what GB did.

He may never be an all pro but in the right fit, 700 yards and 6-9 TD is realistic. Hopefully he doesn't come back and haunt us in a playoff game.

Could not have said it better. Look no further than Larry Fitzgerald.

CLP)

However other teams take players like Nelson and change them to a # 3 possession WR that find holes in the zones and carves teams up in the red zone. No more 15 plus yard routes..find the hole and catch.

not to mention that he already knows the offense and has a strong working relationship with the qb. they should have made him a reasonable offer, not an insulting lowball gesture.

I love Jordy as much as the next guy but come on. Randall Cobb' s stats stayed virtually the same from 2016 to 2017. Davante Adams stats stayed virtually the same from 2016 to 2017. Jordy Nelson dropped in every category and not just by a little. His targets dropped from 152 to 88. His receptions dropped from 97 to 53. His TDs dropped from 14 to 6. His catch% dropped from 63.8% to 60.2%. His YAC 3.51 to 2.23 and his average per reception dropped from a high of 18 in 2011 to 13.0 in 2016 and only 9.1 in 2017. Yes they could have found a place for him but not at 12.5 million. They needed the cap space to improve the depth. It isn't personal. It's business.

Yes they could have found a place for him but not at 12.5 million.

i didn't see anyone suggesting that they should have kept him at $12.5 million. and i'm sorry, but i refuse to believe that the sudden drop in his numbers were all on him. the guy that was throwing him the ball had more than a little to do with it. as i already pointed out. his stats were pretty much on track until rodgers went down. his average yards per catch was lower, but six tds in six games put him on pace for a 16-td season. not too shabby. as mark said, many older receivers have had successful careers by changing the way that they are used.

i didn't see anyone suggesting that they should have kept him at $12.5 million. and i'm sorry, but i refuse to believe that the sudden drop in his numbers were all on him. the guy that was throwing him the ball had more than a little to do with it. as i already pointed out. his stats were pretty much on track until rodgers went down. his average yards per catch was lower, but six tds in six games put him on pace for a 16-td season. not too shabby. as mark said, many older receivers have had successful careers by changing the way that they are used.
I don't completely disagree but why did Adams and Cobb not drop off as dramatically?

I don't completely disagree but why did Adams and Cobb not drop off as dramatically?
cobb had nowhere to drop to. when was the last time he had a good season? (2014 is the answer)

adams is an ascending star. there's no telling how much better his stats would have been if rodgers had been healthy all season.

Very sad Jordy is gone, BUT it is no surprise. You guys watched him, without Arod throwing him open he had zero separation. He might have been able to contribute as long as our QB stayed healthy, but his skills have deteriorated noticeably. If you ignore the name and watch his play over the last 10 games last year- there is no way you would spend $6-7M on that guy. Then you say his name and your heart swells a little, pride and memories. He was such a class act you kind of feel like the Packers owe him something else. Pride and memories don't count for crap in the NFL. Those things are reserved for the fans.
Gute knew this would be one of his toughest calls. Jordy will be missed.

Back