Packers release safety Jermaine Whitehead after ejection, put WR Geronimo Allison on IR

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
The Packers released safety Jermaine Whitehead following his ejection against the Patriots and put receiver Geronimo Allison on IR.

home

Continue reading...

Allison had surgery yesterday and they say he will likely miss at least 4 weeks, maybe more. I don't think they wanted to carry him on the roster that long without a replacement. This will allow them to bring Trevor Davis back from IR to handle returns and maybe get some snaps from scrimmage.

The other impact will be for Jake Kumerow. If they bring back Davis they have used one of their two "return from IR" moves. That means that they need to pick between Allison and Kumerow. Seems like they might wait a few weeks to decide to see how Allison's surgery and recovery go.

I think cutting Whitehead was a knee jerk reaction. Stupid, IMO. He's young and will make mistakes. He has played admirable at safety, corner, and LB. Not sure what this is about.

Reactions: #66
Not clear what the cutting of Whitehead means. Doesn't seem like a smart move to me, though I didn't seem him as a future answer at safety. Is it an accountability message? If so, it's not consistent. Not like he's the only guy to make a dumb mistake.

Not clear what the cutting of Whitehead means. Doesn't seem like a smart move to me, though I didn't seem him as a future answer at safety. Is it an accountability message? If so, it's not consistent. Not like he's the only guy to make a dumb mistake.

Something bigger going on. Someone trying to send a message and recapture the locker room or organization.

Whitehead did screw up. I understand the coaching philosophy. You can't let tempers dictate what happens to your team on the field. The coaches might also look inside themselves to figure out why players do these things. It all starts with coaching. It's why some teams play nearly penalty free game after game, and others do stupid things.

I think that they have the "desperate times call for desperate measures" mindset. Montgomery's asinine blunder got him the boot only a week ago, and now Whitehead. They are sending the message that if you want to continue to play for this team, then playing smart is not negotiable.

I think that they have the "desperate times call for desperate measures" mindset. Montgomery's asinine blunder got him the boot only a week ago, and now Whitehead. They are sending the message that if you want to continue to play for this team, then playing smart is not negotiable.

It should also go for coaching smart.....

Back