Packers send safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to Washington for 2019 fourth-round draft pick

By "mini" I mean that there are some pieces to work with. It's not like this is a 2-14 team with nothing to start with. You do have a QB. Looks like you have a few WRs. You have 2-3 OL in place. Jones and Williams seems like a capable pair of RBs. Clark is a good player at a position that can be tough to fill. Martinez is capable and can be part of a winning defense with better guys around him. I'm still hoping that King and Alexander will stay healthy and build on what we saw on Sunday.

I truly believe that with a new coach, a couple of decent drafts and 4-5 solid free agent additions that this team can be back in contention in 2-3 years. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist.

I think this team has a 3 year window to win. So my thoughts
King is Better long term than Alexander
Depth is still at best questionable all over
TE is still a need
S is a mess
Other than Clark it’s a very average DL
Need a real playmaker to rush the passer

Makes you wonder if old man Ted stroked out few years ago and effected his drafting and FA choices. Team finally said enough is enough and got rid of him.

Is this a sign the Packers are bagging this season as lost already?

i said it in shout this morning and i'll say it again. if the team trades away dix - a starting safety who everyone outside of packers fans seems to love - then it's clear to me that they've given up for the season. dix may not be the top-three safety that pff seems to think he is, but he was the best safety we have.

so now the question is - how much of a pretense do you make of "trying to win"?

i'm glad we traded away montgomery. a 7th round pick isn't worth a whole lot more than a ham sandwich, but it's better than just cutting him. but man, if the best you can get for a first round draft pick pro-bowl safety is a 4th round pick, that's pretty sad.

Last edited:
Trading HHCD now when Safety is a need considering even if he's not resigned he'll surely be at least a 4th round 2020 comp pick, is a real head scratcher. Makes me wonder if it wasn't HHCD anonymously tipping Silver and bagging on Montgomery? "The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."

This tells me Gute understands this is a long term substantial rebuild. As 57 says GB isn't starting from zero, but still some major work to do.

HaHa was the best safety "this year" but he is not the player he was when he was a pro bowler. His skills are diminishing and he got toasted just as much as he made a great play ... I see this as a calculated risk. HaHa may go to WAS and be good. He may have stayed in GB and got worse. Gute got a 4th next year instead of waiting till 2020 for a comp pick, that if HaHa really fell off a cliff, may have been much lower.

I like what he's doing. Short term pain for long term gain. That's IF he hits on his draft picks. But seeing as TT whiffed three drafts in a row Gutey has a LOT of work to do.

Trading HHCD now when Safety is a need considering even if he's not resigned he'll surely be at least a 4th round 2020 comp pick, is a real head scratcher. Makes me wonder if it wasn't HHCD anonymously tipping Silver and bagging on Montgomery? "The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."

Getting the 2020 comp pick would only work if Ted "I don't do free agency" Thompson was still at the helm, and then there is still no guarantee it would be a 4th round pick. We've been down that road before where "we think" it will be a 3rd? 4th? and it ends up a 5th or 6th.

Plus, that potential comp pick would be voided if Gute dips into free agency and signs an UFA, which he is likely to be doing year in and year out for the foreseeable future. By doing this now, he has guaranteed the Packers get a (2019) pick for losing HHCD.

Agreed on all of this. We knew he was not worth the 10M he would be asking next year so we got something for him. We also know we most likely are not going anywhere this year as a team so why not?
I like what Gute is doing. We need to retool for the future but also try to get enough talent in here to help AR and win another SB before he is done. Next year we should be able to sign 2-3 FA's as well as have 8-10 draft picks depending if we trade up or not. It will be an interesting offseason next year.

Getting the 2020 comp pick would only work if Ted "I don't do free agency" Thompson was still at the helm, and then there is still no guarantee it would be a 4th round pick. We've been down that road before where "we think" it will be a 3rd? 4th? and it ends up a 5th or 6th.

Plus, that potential comp pick would be voided if Gute dips into free agency and signs an UFA, which he is likely to be doing year in and year out for the foreseeable future. By doing this now, he has guaranteed the Packers get a (2019) pick for losing HHCD.

Excellent point. You only get comp picks if you don't sign free agents yourself. Much better to get a sure thing. If Gute uses FA going forward, there won't be many/any comp picks.

HaHa's play is one thing, but GB's use/treatment of him is another. The guy quit on the team last year, yet MM allowed him to. He kept him in that entire final game against Detroit. They traded Randall, with whom HaHa and the coaches had some issues, yet they brought HaHa back this year and talked about his locker room leadership. Is MM awake? It doesn't make sense. That guy may or may not be a good player but he CANNOT be one of the loudest voices in your locker room. That's a guy you need to hide and just let him play.

This has been a problem forever hasn't it? Before HaHa, our defensive locker room leader was Letroy Guion. They had TJ Lang and barely tried to re-sign him. And if MM wants to be one of those HC who dominate the room then fine, but then you also can't gain 15lbs every year and become a totem pole at practice.

At the end of the day it hurts this year but feels to me like an opportunity for movement in the right direction.

Back