Packers set to sign ILB Joe Thomas to their 53-man roster

[BCOLOR=#fbfbff]DL is fine for next week. We have 5 right now, and even when we've had more in the past, the 6th guy is typically inactive on game day. [/BCOLOR]

I would say once Guion comes back either Gaston or Goodson goes. I have not seen a whole lot from either but I feel solid about CB with Gunter and Rollins backing up the actives. I would not mind having an extra d-lineman on the squad.

Also, Gaston has more upside since he is a rookie. Goodson has been here what two years and has not really improved. Just my humble opinion.

I would say once Guion comes back either Gaston or Goodson goes. I have not seen a whole lot from either but I feel solid about CB with Gunter and Rollins backing up the actives. I would not mind having an extra d-lineman on the squad.

Also, Gaston has more upside since he is a rookie. Goodson has been here what two years and has not really improved. Just my humble opinion.

but goodson has been active (although he hasn't done squat) for both games and gunter has not. to me that says he is higher on the depth chart. believe me, i'd rather keep gunter too, but it appears that the coaches see it differently.

Goodson is a starter on ST coverage units, which have been pretty good so far (only 2 games). They've cut ST starters in the past but we should probably hope they don't do so again, based on past results. I know it isn't sexy and it's easy to dismiss their contributions but I can't remember the last time this team had good ST contributions from the bottom of the roster like this - Janis, Goodson, Banjo, Ripkowski, Elliot and Montgomery have all done a very nice job so far, though with the caveat of course that it's only been 2 games.

Gaston has been inactive, and though I'd hate to lose a DL who has flashed pass rush even a little, logically I think he'll be the guy unless someone else goes to IR.

Good points, RP. I agree with you on ST's.
We can always cut Gaston and put him on the practice squad if he gets through waivers.

The Packers have been bringing by my count 4 DL 2ILB for looks. I know all teams do this. So these two areas of the defense has to concern them. No suprise there depth wise

Thought I recognized the name Joe Thomas and I did after looking - he was once a football UW Badger. Someone needs to update his Wiki however there was much information to glean from the read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thomas_(American_football)

I see he is now around age 30 but having read the Wiki - he maybe a valuable help to the Packers. I see in his early college years he was flexible at what ever position he was assigned to. He well may still be a multiple position player as per necessary. Hoping very much he performs well and this turns out to be a solid signing for the Packers. I am encouraged the Packers organization responded quickly to give him a try. He will have to get up to speed and up to date with all things Packers as far as play book and play. Have to wish him the best of luck and skills. - Feel terrible about season ending injuries or injured reserve for the individual players so far this season. Got to wish them well in their long processes of recovery and injury rehab. - Kaye

Back