Packers To Hire Matt LaFleur As HC

Now I can let this out. When things were falling apart I started doing homework on new HC as everyone knows. The formula that I used started with coaches that Murphy would put on his list. The NFL and even NCAA is a who do you know that I know deal.

Who's Murphys most trusted adviser ? Casserly And who do they both have ties too ? The skins and the Shanahan's . That started the trail. Once I hit on him you kept reading "QB guru" and "explosive offense " okay I am on to something.

Add in he's from Central Michigan so he's a Midwest guy. Understands the culture. He was a substitute math teacher which means he can teach. He played both QB and WR so he gets those players...two of the biggest egos on a team.

The clincher was the clip I posted on shout. He talks like a FB coach. He just has that juice. I think he got the job because he was able to interview almost last if not last and he's the type of candidate/person to me you don't want to get away.

A ton of luck involved here. I just hope that my gut was right and that Matt is the guy to right the ship and keep her sailing long term.

See I thought this was a Gute hire through and through. Young GM jiving with the young HC candidate and getting a good feeling about him. Maybe the Casserly connection to Murphy gave Murphy comfort in blessing the pick.

See I thought this was a Gute hire through and through. Young GM jiving with the young HC candidate and getting a good feeling about him. Maybe the Casserly connection to Murphy gave Murphy comfort in blessing the pick.
I was thinking the exact same thing. This one had Gute written all over it to me. Time will tell, but I trust Mark's opinion and I'm officially excited about this hire.

One thing caught my eye...the OL will be more physical. I hope he brings a whole new conditioning program. I'd like to see a tougher, more physical presence. That's been sorely missing, imo.

One thing caught my eye...the OL will be more physical. I hope he brings a whole new conditioning program. I'd like to see a tougher, more physical presence. That's been sorely missing, imo.

Bingo. Not only his creativeness has me excited, but it's time to upgrade that OL and make it a focus.

Last edited:
A revamped offense is much needed of course. Need to have #12 and all of the receivers put in a lot of extra time this offseason. I actually think this recharges Rodgers. This is his last go around to get another ring. He'll be all in. Now it's up to Gute to add talent, both sides of the ball.

It was just a few weeks ago when former Wisconsin Badgers and Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas was on ESPN Milwaukee’s “Wilde and Tausch” podcast singing the praises for new Packers head coach Matt LaFleur.

“I remember being in Cleveland and having Kyle (Shanahan) talk about how smart (Matt) LaFleur was when they were together…in Washington,” Thomas said. “And how basically LaFleur was learning everything he knew under Kyle Shanahan.”

While LaFleur never coached in Cleveland, he worked closely with Kyle Shanahan, who spent time with the Browns in 2014 as the offensive coordinator. LaFleur and Shanahan have worked together numerous times the past few years. The pair connected first in Houston in 2008, and then shared stints in Washington (2012) and Atlanta (2015-2016).

“He understood the details of the wide zone scheme,” Thomas said. “He understands how to get the most out of all of his players, and how it fits well with a quarterback that can move, that can threaten the edges, that can threaten the bootlegs. So I think the skillset Aaron (Rodgers) has would fit perfectly with the offense that Matt LaFleur runs.”

So let's assume most if not all the staff on the defense will return as reported. Who would you like to see on offense and special teams hired to coach? The one guy I would like to see as OC is a long shot I think in Rams QB coach Zach Taylor. I think Taylor is a future HC but would not leave for a OC job if he would not be the one calling the plays. Which I think will take out a lot of the bigger names for OC as most if not all will pass a job in which they would not have play calling duty. I could see it being LaFleur's own Philbin aka a guy he knows and trusts who would get the OC job and have the duties to install the game plan and run the offense in practice during the week. Special teams though my good I think you could get a homeless bum off the street and have him figure a better ST coach over Ron Zook.

Great news! People wanted a young innovator who would do things differently than MM, this is your guy. Not a retread. Good news that he’s keeping Pettine, now our guys get to build on what they accomplished and move forward. Coaches that favor one side or the other often fail because they don’t hire well for the opposite coordinator.

I’m excited to see where this team goes from here. The good news is that our team was incredibly dysfunctional and we still won basically 7 games, so solving the dysfunction and were right back in the playoff hunt. MFer is going to have some tools to work with!

Back