Passing Game: Who will step up?

Here is what I think we could be looking at next year for WR

Adams as the #1, Packers draft a WR day 2 do be the #2 of the future. MVS and Lazard. Those will be the set 4 After that you bring back Kuemrow is a ERFA so he comes back cheap on his 1 year also have Shepard as a ERFA and have St. Brown on his rookie year deal. Those 3 along with any UDFA will fight for 1 or 2 open spots to fill the back end of the roster.

A drafted WR is 2 years away from contributing. That's why I wouldn't mind a trade. But I like MVS and EQ too. Year three will be another step for them.

Plus there's Sternberger.

A drafted WR is 2 years away from contributing. That's why I wouldn't mind a trade. But I like MVS and EQ too. Year three will be another step for them.

Plus there's Sternberger.

i mostly agree with you. i'm not sure what to expect from eq though. this year did not add anything to his development. it's a lost year. and frankly, we just don't know if there will be any long-term effects of his injury.

sadly, we can say the same for sternberger i think. technically, thy can still bring him back (unlike eq), so maybe he'll get a little bit of game time yet.

mvs, we can see is already developing. he started out the year looking like he was going to have the dreaded sophomore slump. but i think that was because he was having to learn a whole new offense. it looks like he's starting to get it. contrary to popular belief, i still think he could be the #2 receiver next year, and if not #2, certainly #3.

Reality,

I think you are looking at MVS as a #3, IMO. Not sure he can consistently get open, especially on shorter routes when you have to use your hands and body to get open. We need to draft a #2 minimum in the 2nd round next year. We also need another difference maker at TE.

Kumerow can easily be replaced. I like him and he seems like a great guy but he has hit his ceiling. He is a #4 at best. Allison should be cut after this year. He has also met his ceiling and can be easily replaced. ESB, I think will be cut next year. He has shown me nothing and does not seem to get it. Remember he was a 6th round pick for a reason and now he has a major injury. I agree on Lazard. This kid has potential because of his size and his hands. He seems run routes fairly well and has deceptive speed. We will see how he develops.

We need to draft a #2 minimum in the 2nd round next year.

i guess we'll just have to disagree on mvs. in his rookie season he had over 500 yards receiving, and this year he is on pace for a 950 yard season. imho, he has the potential to be a #2.

the reality is that anyone you draft in the second round is unlikely to be a #2 receiver until he's been in the league for a year or two. sure, there are exceptions, but davante is a good example. he is an excellent #1 receiver, but he didn't really hit his stride until year 3.

This was from back in June.

I wonder if the Adams injury has forced them to use more players than they thought they would in the passing game, or if it has always been considered a major part of game planning?

Against the Raiders, I saw several pass receivers make plays, and I hope the coaching staff continues to cultivate that, and force teams to play Adams in single coverage.

What a lot of people don't see is that our running game, although not gaudy, is doing things to greatly improve our passing game. Just because Jones is only averaging 4.0 yards per carry, don't let it sway you. The running game is just fine. If the defenses start playing stronger against the pass, that YPC will go up quite a bit.

Pats just traded a 2nd round pick for Mo Sanu. I don’t think Gute was going to go there. If the ask for Sanders is similar, that’s a tough sell.

I wonder if the Adams injury has forced them to use more players than they thought they would in the passing game, or if it has always been considered a major part of game planning?

Against the Raiders, I saw several pass receivers make plays, and I hope the coaching staff continues to cultivate that, and force teams to play Adams in single coverage.
I find it interesting how an injury to a key player is often a blessing in disguise. Adams injury is turning out to be a great example. No lost games. We now have a much better idea of MVS who is getting valuable reps for growth. We may have found a gem in Lazard. And we are turning our RBs into dynamic pass catchers. Heck, we might have woke Jimmie! Plus, and getting to your point... When Adams comes back, teams may have to play him in single coverage now as we've greatly improved our other weapons.

Back