Post Game: Eagles defeat Green Bay 40-33

Honestly, injuries have nothing to do with it. The run defense has been bad all year.

I will say I was a little off when I said they have been bad in all of the 4-years ML has been here. They were ok in 2 years.

2022- 32nd- 5 yards per carry
2021- 11th- 4.7 yards per carry
2020- 13th- 4.6 yards per carry
2019- 23rd- 4.7 yards per carry

The rank is ok in 2020 and 2021 but the per carry average is still horrible. You wonder why this team cannot get off the field on 3rd down. Teams are having 3rd and 5 or less most of the time.

This is on Gute as well. He has really ignored the defensive line for the last 4 years. In fact, Kenny Clark was the last DL taken in the first 2 rounds since 2016. A big issue why they cannot stop the run.

Honestly, injuries have nothing to do with it. The run defense has been bad all year.

I will say I was a little off when I said they have been bad in all of the 4-years ML has been here. They were ok in 2 years.

2022- 32nd- 5 yards per carry
2021- 11th- 4.7 yards per carry
2020- 13th- 4.6 yards per carry
2019- 23rd- 4.7 yards per carry

The rank is ok in 2020 and 2021 but the per carry average is still horrible. You wonder why this team cannot get off the field on 3rd down. Teams are having 3rd and 5 or less most of the time.

This is on Gute as well. He has really ignored the defensive line for the last 4 years. In fact, Kenny Clark was the last DL taken in the first 2 rounds since 2016. A big issue why they cannot stop the run.
It’s also on the lack of prioritizing the MLB position. If your DL is meant to take on blocks your inside LB’s need to be able to play. Campbell had a career year last year and his play this year was pedestrian in comparison

Dillon looked like his old self. Jones was good. Watson is improving and did not get hurt.

The offensive line was very up-and-down. At times Rodgers had plenty of time, or there were holes for the running backs, but at other times things got blown up.

The defense just sucks. The run defense especially. And don't bleat about Rashan Gary - that guy struggled to hold an edge.

God Joe Barely sucked. This defense is so, so broken.

Positives:

Gotta like what we saw with Love. I say play him to see what the future could be

Watson wow that kid can move and if he can stay healthy look out

Negatives:

I hate losing like that.

368 rushing yards given up. College teams don't give up that many yards.

That defense looked like they were playing flag football and not tackle football. This defense is SOFT and IMO no DC can keep their job with getting gashed every week with that talent on defense. That being said I also am afraid that he will be given the benefit of a doubt missing 3 starters on that defense.

Here is the bottom line. When I look at the offense, if you squint your eyes just right you can see the talent of certain players, you can see the scheme, you can see how these players will succeed in the scheme, you can see a bit of identity, you can see how it could/should work.

But on D? There is nothing like that. I don’t see scheme, I don’t see intention, I don’t see what they’re trying to do. It’s all just reactive and chasing. They look like they are Mike Pettine’s defense being coordinated by Joe Barry, because that’s exactly what they are. Their best, most talented, always hustling players are now flat and lifeless because they don’t believe in what they’re doing. I’m not usually for in-season firings but how can any HC preach accountability and let Joe Barry continue to keep his job? Giving up 363 on the ground is like Amari Rodgers fumbling his 6th punt return. It’s done, it’s over. ML risks losing the locker room if it looks like he’s unwilling to hold his friend accountable.

One last Q for the X’s and O’s guys - could there be the making of a 4-3 front here? Campbell at MLB (or even SAM) Walker as a weak side backer - allows him to cover and chase rather than plug holes downhill, which is not his strong suit. Gary can play hand down, we know that. The DL isn’t great but I don’t see Wyatt ever taking on double teams and being that kind of player, and they may get less wear and tear on Clark if they can free up his responsibilities inside.

One last Q for the X’s and O’s guys - could there be the making of a 4-3 front here? Campbell at MLB (or even SAM) Walker as a weak side backer - allows him to cover and chase rather than plug holes downhill, which is not his strong suit. Gary can play hand down, we know that. The DL isn’t great but I don’t see Wyatt ever taking on double teams and being that kind of player, and they may get less wear and tear on Clark if they can free up his responsibilities inside.
Need a true NT to make it work, A guy like Gervon Dexter or Siaki Ika in the draft could fix that. You would need a true MLB as well.

Need a true NT to make it work, A guy like Gervon Dexter or Siaki Ika in the draft could fix that. You would need a true MLB as well.
Two players away is not bad though, is it? I just don’t see Walker and Wyatt ever succeeding in these roles, they are very high picks and miscast, and I think the guys they already paid (Clark, Campbell, soon Gary) can do well in a different scheme as well.

I know nothing of secondary coordination and what it would mean for those guys but I think the whole S group needs to be turned over.

Two players away is not bad though, is it? I just don’t see Walker and Wyatt ever succeeding in these roles, they are very high picks and miscast, and I think the guys they already paid (Clark, Campbell, soon Gary) can do well in a different scheme as well.

I know nothing of secondary coordination and what it would mean for those guys but I think the whole S group needs to be turned over.
Mark is working on the next DC thread, we can get into it more there. These Monday mornings after a holiday are bad enough... stick a late FB game and new coach at WI at it geez. More coffee needed

For the first time like ever on social media I actually saw people praising Love saying he did good and that perhaps he should be given the rest of the season to show what he has and that people think he can be a starting QB.

Back