77 T/G Billy Turner
80 TE Jimmy Graham
87 TE Jace Sternberger
89 TE Marcedes Lewis
91 LB Preston Smith
94 DL Dean Lowry
97 DL Kenny Clark
98 DL Fadol Brown

I read tweets that were very complimentary to Kizer. He did look a little more composed and didn't dance around constantly, but I just don't trust him. Maybe the remaining preseason games will make it much more clear.

I agree! As an added bonus, Boyle's receivers were much less likely to be injured. Always a plus. :)

Another player who always disappoints is Moore. He bobbles, he drops, he has no hands, and no 'fire'. I don't care if he caught a TD. He was a bobble away from dropping that, too. IMO. I'd like to see him gone (as of now).

Go Kumerow!!

I felt for Davis not being able to compete tonight.

The 4 turnovers from the D were great. Definitely the difference between a W and a L. Although that's not really what the preseason is about, I'm sure the W feels good to the players and staff. It felt good to me as a fan, certainly. Now, perhaps the young'uns should tackle. T.A.C.K.L.E. Surely they'll hear about that.

I really liked ML's presser. When asked about his QB's remarks concerning practices with other teams, he was hilarious. "I'm not speaking to him anymore", before he said he understood. He's such a breath of fresh air.

gopackgo

Last edited:
Matt LaFleur walked out of the tunnel Thursday at Lambeau Field and couldn’t help but to take a minute to reflect.
At just 39 years old, he was the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

“There was just a brief period of time when I looked up and you just see all the greats written all, in Lambeau,” he said. “It’s a pretty cool moment. It’s something I’ll never forget.”

DeShone Kizer was 8 for 13 with 102 yards and a touchdown and the Packers topped the Houston Texans 28-26 in the preseason opener for both teams and the first game for LaFleur as head coach.

“I told the guys, ‘Whether it’s regular season or preseason, it always feels much better to win than lose,’ so I was happy about that. And more than anything else, I thought our guys gave great effort.”

Tim Boyle added two second-half touchdown passes for the Packers as Aaron Rodgers had the night off.
Rodgers, though, was on a headset all night, something LaFleur thought was helpful for the two-time MVP as he continues to get comfortable with the offense and the communication within it.

“I think, more or less, again, the communication between myself and the quarterbacks,” LaFleur said. “You could see when we’re at practice sometimes, I don’t know if we’re playing the music too loud or what, but they’re having a hard time hearing me with Walkie Talkies. They said tonight was crystal clear.”

With Deshaun Watson not playing and A.J. McCarron sidelined with a thumb injury on his right throwing hand, Joe Webb, the only other quarterback on the Texans’ roster, played the entire game. The 10th-year veteran was 25 for 40 for 286 yards a touchdown and two interceptions.

“Joe competed hard,” Houston coach Bill O’Brien said. “Joe’s really what we’re really looking for in a Houston Texan. He’s a smart, tough, dependable guy. He doesn’t get a whole lot of reps at quarterback and he went in there and competed hard.”

Packers receiver Equanimeous St. Brown recovered a fumbled punt in the end zone for a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.
After the Texans tied it, Kizer threw a TD pass to Darrius Shepherd to give the Packers a 14-7 lead. Ka’imi Fairbairn’s 49-yard field goal made it 14-10 at the half.

Boyle added TD passes to J’Mon Moore and Allen Lazard in the third quarter to give the Packers a 28-10 lead.

“More than anything else was the command,” said LaFleur of what he liked most about the play of Kizer and Boyle. “That’s what we’re looking for. I thought they commanded the huddle. It seemed to me that the communication was on point. … I just thought the operation was clean.”

The Texans rallied with 16 points in the fourth quarter, but fell short.

“I thought the guys played hard,” O’Brien said. “We were in the game right till the end. Guys were fighting, battling, trying to keep us in the game, and I think that’s good to see.”

Defensive tackle Montravius Adams, linebacker Oren Burks and safety Darnell Savage Jr. were the only defensive first-team players who dressed for the Packers, who rested 26 players.

HOMETOWN STAR
Defensive end J.J. Watt‘s tradition of playing catch with kids in the stands before games was a little more special as the Wisconsin native did it at Lambeau Field.
This time he was also able to play catch with his dad.
“It was obviously a really cool experience,” he said. “I mean, we used to play catch in the backyard and pretend you’re Brett Favre. So, to be able to play catch at Lambeau with my dad on the field, it’s pretty cool.”
Watt, who has typically sat out the first preseason game, did not play after tweaking his groin in practice earlier in the weak for the Texans.
Watt, who was the last player out of the tunnel for the Texans, soaked up the applause from the Green Bay crowd and participated in the coin toss.

ALSO FEELING AT HOME
Green Bay native Max Scharping got in on Houston’s first offensive drive. The rookie offensive tackle was selected by the Texans in the second round out of Northern Illinois.

INJURIES
Texans: WR Keke Coutee carted off the field in the first quarter with a leg injury.
Packers: LB Oren Burks suffered an apparent injury to his right shoulder on the first series. He had an ice bag on the shoulder and did not return.

ROSTER MOVES
Texans: Houston acquired running back Duke Johnson in a trade with the Browns. Johnson rushed for 201 yards on 40 carries and had 47 catches for 429 yards and three touchdowns last season with Cleveland. Johnson has to pass to physical to complete the trade. The Texans also signed rookie QB Jordan Ta’amu and waived C D.J. Coker.
Packers: Green Bay signed S Ibraheim Campbell, waived injured LB Kendall Donnerson and released RB Corey Grant. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound Campbell had 20 tackles (16 solo), a forced fumble and a pass defensed in three games (one start) for the Packers last season.

A lot more effort from the reserves this year vs the past under MM. It's early but a lot more positives then negatives coming out of camp.

Boyle looked way better than Kizer. Especially, accuracy with the longer to mid range passes.

He has better pocket presence than Kizer and actually goes through his progressions.

What I read this morning was the biggest difference between Kizer and Boyle was that Boyle is able to get the ball out in rhythm were-as Kizer hesitates too often and misses open receiver opportunities.

They also said Boyle may be slightly less accurate than Kizer, but I'll take the player that gets the ball out on time rather than the guy that turns too many plays into a sandlot scramble drill.

We now have both a head coach and defensive coach that is going to hold players accountable AND a head coach that isn't going to just ignore the defensive side of the ball. You know, because a head coach shouldn't just focus on the offense. Weird concept. There is a lot of change. A lot to be optimistic about.

Boyle IMO looks like a classic backup QB. He makes excellent, professional, starting quality throws. He also makes some inaccurate throws and bad decisions. If he didn’t have that volume of misses he wouldn’t just be a backup. But the pro qualities and ability are there.

Biggest positive overall was the +3 for turnover differential. Teams historically win 91% of the time that they have a +3 in any game.
Biggest negative is that we can't expect a +3 in most games and other that the TOs we were outplayed.

We saw some cool stuff for a preseason game last night. Our secondary made the biggest impression on me for its depth. We had players all up and down that part of our roster making plays. Hollman, Sullivan, Greene, Redmon, Brown & Ento all looked solid. Added to Amos, Savage, King, Alexander & Williams, and this looks to be a very talented group all the way through.

Nice seeing they signed S Ibraheim Campbell too yesterday. That dude can play, and has the added benefit of knowing Pettine's system.

Our OL did some impressive stuff. My biggest two contributors were Elgton Jenkins and Cole Madison. Really impressive showings by both. I keyed in on a lot of that work, especially late watching Nijman. The kid can run block. Made some nice moves in pass protection too, but can get caught in the minutia for lack of a better term. He has his moments, but I consider him a lock simply for the development opportunities that lie ahead, especially with his size and athleticism.

Our DL has some solid depth, as Adams, Keke and Simon showed well. All 3 of those players were impressive in run support and in collapsing the pocket. I think Rashan Gary just needs to learn more moves to get to the QB. He's got some great people to learn from. Not worried about him at all. Gilbert flashed.

LB looked pretty damn good with Summers, Crawford, Bolton, and Ramsey, but our pass rush looked unimpressive. Ton of missed tackles in run support, but first time out tackling this year. Coverage was hot and cold. I really like Curtis Bolton. That dude plays with some good energy and made a nice PD, short arms and all. Could tell Summers was worn out, and that he wasn't happy with his performance, but showed well early. I think he played nearly the entire game from the 8:00 mark of 1st Q when Burks went down.

STs looked decent, but they have work to do. EQ's TD was a great play. JK Scott did a nice job, and good to see Crosby back out there.

Looks like backup QB biggest challengers are Boyle and Wilkins. Boyle played lights out.

At RB Dexter Williams flashed his potential, but the run blocking seemed less than desired overall. That will change with more reps. I wanted to see more of Tra Carson.

TE, it was the Big Bob Show. Tonyan is so damned impressive. Made some nice blocks and made a great catch on 3rd and long.
---
On the other side, Moore and Kizer look done. Sheldon at LB seemed to struggle. Burks going out will not help him. I'm really wondering about Oren Burks, and expected a bit more from him. He seems like a square peg in a round hole... more than anything.

Burks injury worries me. I wonder if it is the same shoulder as last year. He could have a problem if it is.

I thought Ty Summers looked pretty good at times. He had a pretty good first half but then fell off in the second. He does look like he could develop though.

I did not hear anything about Savage last night. Anyone have any updates on him?

Back