Post Game: Packers Nip Lions 23-20

The problem isn't Rodgers' mechanics in a vacuum here, the problem is his mechanics relative to the changes that have occurred in his upper and lower body over the past 2 seasons. He said himself in his post-game presser, when the ball left his hand on those deep shots, he thought they were on target even though they weren't. There is a disconnect between what his brain and muscle memory are telling him, and what his bones and muscles and tendons in his knee and arm and shoulder and torso are allowing him to do.

So it's not about back foot, front foot or anything like that. I don't think he's accepted the fact that what his brain thinks is a 95mph fastball on the corner is now sailing up and away. And look, Peyton Manning went through this and re-taught himself how to throw the ball after his neck injury. He worked and worked and worked at it. What has me pessimistic about Rodgers future is that he's shown no signs of admitting that he needs to do the same thing. Rodgers is not the student and technician that Manning was. He could play another 5 years at a high level if he was but he isn't. I think he's going to roll with what he has and what he's been doing, and then settle down on his Malibu estate at whatever point.

One of the best thought out, best articulated posts I've read in a long time. Well done my friend.

Rodgers has I think 2 more good years out of him. By then you better have a QB waiting in the wings because I don't think Rodgers after that point will be worth keeping at his 30+ million cap number.

Rodgers never should have tried to play through his collarbone injury. It threw everything off in his delivery. It's like a baseball pitcher continuing to pitch with a problem, and never regaining the muscle memory they had that worked in the past.

Sometimes it's more than muscle memory. I used to pitch. Wrestle. Play football. No major injuries yet in my mind, I should be able to sling it like used too. Unfortunately, my body says otherwise. It just may be that age is catching up with him. People may hate this, but I love what Shanahan did with Elway in his later years. Time for us to realize AR isn't that same spring chicken.

He said himself in his post-game presser, when the ball left his hand on those deep shots, he thought they were on target even though they weren't. There is a disconnect between what his brain and muscle memory are telling him, and what his bones and muscles and tendons in his knee and arm and shoulder and torso are allowing him to do.
I noticed on replays - two anyway - it seemed to me that after he made his throws (overthrows) he was watching the outcome of them with every expectation that they were catchable, and after realizing they were not his face went to an expression of "Damn, I'm off." His post-game presser confirmed this. I was disappointed at Rodgers public display of disapproval of MVS when his own play was as off as it was.

The problem isn't Rodgers' mechanics in a vacuum here, the problem is his mechanics relative to the changes that have occurred in his upper and lower body over the past 2 seasons. He said himself in his post-game presser, when the ball left his hand on those deep shots, he thought they were on target even though they weren't. There is a disconnect between what his brain and muscle memory are telling him, and what his bones and muscles and tendons in his knee and arm and shoulder and torso are allowing him to do.

So it's not about back foot, front foot or anything like that. I don't think he's accepted the fact that what his brain thinks is a 95mph fastball on the corner is now sailing up and away. And look, Peyton Manning went through this and re-taught himself how to throw the ball after his neck injury. He worked and worked and worked at it. What has me pessimistic about Rodgers future is that he's shown no signs of admitting that he needs to do the same thing. Rodgers is not the student and technician that Manning was. He could play another 5 years at a high level if he was but he isn't. I think he's going to roll with what he has and what he's been doing, and then settle down on his Malibu estate at whatever point.
When I talk about trading Aaron it is primarily this, to which I am referring.

He is an over valued commodity. We can get much more for him right now than he is worth.

Matt Ryan went 8-8 his first year in Matt's system, won the MVP in year two. But Aaron's situation is complicated by his refusal to use proper footwork and mechanics.

Doesn't seem like he wants to take the ball from under center either.

But who knows, I'm not at practice. And again, they didn't practice this week in particular, so it would make sense that his throws are a little bit more inaccurate than usual.

When I talk about trading Aaron it is primarily this, to which I am referring.

He is an over valued commodity. We can get much more for him right now than he is worth.
Again wrong. And there are 37.4 million reasons why. That’s the amount of dead cap space this team would eat if you traded him. No it’s can’t be negotiated. Read the CBA. Sorry to let pesky facts get in the way

1) Blake Martinez needs to go. He was absolutely horrible against the run. Choosing the wrong hole and no aggressiveness at all. Lowery also got man handled in the first half on a lot on runs by the Lions.
Martinez had a great game with a QB hit, a sack, a TFL, a Pass defended and an INT. He wasn’t the only reason for some of those big runs. One of the biggest complaints on Blake has been the lack of splash plays despite his consistency vs the run. He had several in this game but blew a few against the run and now he has to go? I don’t get the desire to dump a consistent solid defender in favor of an unknown.

Back