Post Game Thread : Green Bay Shuts Out Buffalo 22-0

I think we need to look at Jordy and Cobb side by side. Cobb is more of a slot receiver. We had Allison and Adams on the outside. Both Cobb and Jordy were making about 10M. They went with Cobb because he was younger and more of a slot receiver. I am not saying I agree with the decision but I can see why they made it. IMO, they could have cut both of them based on their production and salary; however, we had to keep one since we do not have any experienced WR's.

Let's look at the game yesterday. Without Cobb in the slot, our offense looked very average. In fact below average. Now I know we had 4 or 5 drops and AR threw some inaccurate passes but we still looked very average without those drops and inaccurate passes. I hate to say it but right now Cobb makes this offense better because he is the best slot option we have. Who was in the slot yesterday? Scantling? He did nothing. Sometimes Monty but he was only their a limited amount of time and is not a great route runner anyway. Whether we like it or not, Cobb makes this offense better. Cobb will be gone after this year anyway unless he takes a massive pay cut. We are also only 4 games into the season. Let's wait and see what kind of a season Nelson and Cobb actually have before we start saying we should have done this or that. Gute has tough decisions and he will have a lot more tough decisions before this is all said and done.

That being said, this offense has issues. Not sure they can be fixed. We need another #1 WR opposite of Adams and we do not have that. Allison is a really good #3 but not a #2, IMO. We continue to not use Lewis at TE which makes no sense to me. Why did we sign him? Why do we continue to use Kendricks and not Lewis or Tonyan?

I do believe this defense is better this year. Is it a lot better? Probably not but we all know it will take time to build this up to where it needs to be. The young CB's have played better than I expected so far. If King can actually stay on the field, we may have some solid CB's for the next few years.

On to Detroit!

# 1 thought. Nelson went what 5 catches for 48. He looked very pedestrian today so let’s pump the breaks. Not a $10m receiver

#2. Rodgers knee is impacting not only his mobility but footwork. He’s not right maybe 70%

#3 defense was what it was vs an inept offense

It’s a win. Celebrating

I believe you missed the fact that Nelson scored a TD as well? He's always been a solid possession receiver, and that obviously hasn't changed.

Here's comparative stats for a few players to date this year, and their NFL ranking prior to the Monday night game.

#10 - Jared Cook 26-370-2 (Raiders)
#27 - Allison 19-289-2
#28 - Adams 28-285-3
#31 - Nelson 16-274-2 (Raiders)

Two ex-Packers in the top 50, and two Packers in the top 50. I see absolutely no separation in abilities from Allison and Adams to Nelson. I'm not buying the theory of it only being 4 games. I see what I see. Nelson is just as productive with fewer targets. Cook, who has been maligned as incompetent, is a top 10 receiver in the NFL. Wow! Now we have Jimmy Dropsie.

Maybe the coaching staff and front office should get their heads out of their posterior. They don't have a third receiver, and their TE has already been a no-show, and it won't be long until Rodgers quits throwing to him. You can forget all the complements Rodgers throws around. Look at the disgust on his face after these guys screw up a route, or drop one. I'd bet he keeps thinking; "I wonder how Nelson is doing."

Good points, TW.
That actually proves that we may have made the right decision in releasing Jordy. Allison has more yards, more catches, and the same TD's as Nelson does. Do we really miss him? Cook was a huge mistake. We all know that now. That will come back to haunt us, I believe. We have to wait and see on Cobb.

Oh and remember, we supposedly tried to trade Cobb in the preseason. Maybe that was the plan. We release Jordy to save cap money and try to trade Cobb because he is younger and has more upside. Just a thought.

I believe you missed the fact that Nelson scored a TD as well? He's always been a solid possession receiver, and that obviously hasn't changed.

Here's comparative stats for a few players to date this year, and their NFL ranking prior to the Monday night game.

#10 - Jared Cook 26-370-2 (Raiders)
#27 - Allison 19-289-2
#28 - Adams 28-285-3
#31 - Nelson 16-274-2 (Raiders)

Two ex-Packers in the top 50, and two Packers in the top 50. I see absolutely no separation in abilities from Allison and Adams to Nelson. I'm not buying the theory of it only being 4 games. I see what I see. Nelson is just as productive with fewer targets. Cook, who has been maligned as incompetent, is a top 10 receiver in the NFL. Wow! Now we have Jimmy Dropsie.

Maybe the coaching staff and front office should get their heads out of their posterior. They don't have a third receiver, and their TE has already been a no-show, and it won't be long until Rodgers quits throwing to him. You can forget all the complements Rodgers throws around. Look at the disgust on his face after these guys screw up a route, or drop one. I'd bet he keeps thinking; "I wonder how Nelson is doing."
No I watched Nelson get the TD and I watched the entire game. So if you want to break down stats lets look at it this way

vs Miami 6 - 173 1TD
3 Other games combined
10 - 101 which comes out to 3 receptions per game at 34 yds per game

Watching the game 3 things were clear. #1 Nelson had no burst coming out of breaks #2 yes he has the hands but separation was a big problem. #3 He is clearly the #3 option on the team. Cooper is seeing double teams and Nelson is seeing the #2 CB and single coverage.

I get the love for Nelson, was a great player. But can you imagine our fan base up in arms over a highly paid receiver who gets an ave of 4 catches per game and 43 yds per game and 1 TD not being worth the money? Oh yeah we have one, Graham.

People are looking at 1 game in context to push the Nelson narrative. I tend to look at his body of work over 4 games and its not really special. Oh yeah new QB, takes time....ok its not like Cleveland is the next coming of the Legion of Boom

Other Nelson/WR thoughts

1. Yes Nelson is a good possession receiver but thats 17's role at this point, the need is a big body WR or one who can stretch the field. Adams is not a deep threat.

2. Cook was a mistake to let go. You then try to fix the problem with another mistake Bennett then double down for Graham who is not the same receiver as 3 years ago, the hat trick of mistakes

3. Remember the "Get Favre more weapons" narrative. yep same error from the from office. I get there were other needs but WR sans Adams was not a priority.

4. No Cobb was not worth the money either, same as Nelson. Cobb had a bit more versatility but thats debateable .

anybody watch rodgers' post-game interview? he was visibly unhappy and pretty blunt. said the defense played at a championship level and the offense was horrible. said there was no flow. said that this was the worst that they had ever played while producing 400+ yards of offense. said they should have had 600 yards and 45 points. he didn't call out anyone (other than himself), but you could infer from some of his comments that the thought the gameplan was not good.

anybody watch rodgers' post-game interview? he was visibly unhappy and pretty blunt. said the defense played at a championship level and the offense was horrible. said there was no flow. said that this was the worst that they had ever played while producing 400+ yards of offense. said they should have had 600 yards and 45 points. he didn't call out anyone (other than himself), but you could infer from some of his comments that the thought the gameplan was not good.
well he also had a receiver run a wrong route that should have been a Pick 6. And he better look in the mirror, he loves to audible. Now yes there you can infer that he did not like calls and / or plan but he also missed guys open

Other Nelson/WR thoughts

1. Yes Nelson is a good possession receiver but thats 17's role at this point, the need is a big body WR or one who can stretch the field. Adams is not a deep threat. (True)

2. Cook was a mistake to let go. You then try to fix the problem with another mistake Bennett then double down for Graham who is not the same receiver as 3 years ago, the hat trick of mistakes (True)

3. Remember the "Get Favre more weapons" narrative. yep same error from the from office. I get there were other needs but WR sans Adams was not a priority. (True)

4. No Cobb was not worth the money either, same as Nelson. Cobb had a bit more versatility but thats debateable . (True)

A few notions of things rattling around in my head that seems are not being mentioned about Nelson and Cobb.

1) Both were going in to the final year of their contracts in 2018, and neither would likely have been extended beyond 2018. Nelson due, mostly, to age and Cobb due to lack of not living up to the expectations of his current contract.

2) Jordy was/is no longer a full-time boundary WR. Age and that ACL knee have robbed him of that ability. But, I submit that he is as versatile a WR as Cobb, as far as the Packers needs go. Nelson can still play, on occasion on the boundary, but he also had become a very effective WR playing in the slot for Green Bay.

Jordy was 2016 most efficient slot receiver

Cobb, because of his lack of size/speed is never going to be able to play the boundary with much success and thus plays most snaps in the slot and on occasion lines up in the backfield.
So, both have versatility, but in different manners.

3) Lastly, it is common knowledge that Cobb said "NO" to a salary adjustment, but Jordy was open to the idea, it's just that going to league minimum was not what he had envisioned as an "adjustment".
If the Packers had really wanted to, they could have let Cobb walk and kept Jordy (as the primary slot receiver) at a reduced salary and would have ended up saving even more money than they did by letting just Jordy go.

Looking at this year, through 3 games (since Cobb did not play this last week).
Cobb - 17 receptions/194 yards/1 TD
Nelson - 11 receptions/226 yards/1 TD

Looking back at last year (2017)............in the games leading up to Rodgers injury in week 6...........
Nelson - 19 receptions/230 yards/6 TD's (4 games, he missed week 2)
Cobb - 23 receptions/218 yards/1 TD (4 games, he missed week 3)
After Rodgers went down, Nelson had only 42 more receptions (including the week 6 MN game).

2016 -
Nelson - 97 receptions/1257 yards/14 TD's (played a lot in the slot)
Cobb - 60 receptions/610 yards/4 TD's

I only point this stuff out because so many (pundits and Packers FO included) seem to be of the opinion that Jordy just can't cut it anymore. But I think that is a false narrative. I think the Packers stopped using him in a manner at which he had become wildly successful at by playing............. from the slot (Think Larry Fitzgerald), and also that Bumbley very rarely looked to Jordy unless he was the primary target. Bumbley's M.O. was to read his primary target and then tuck & run. Jordy had always found a way to make something happen with Rodgers when a play would break down. But Bumbley just didn't have that ability as a QB.

For whatever reason, the Packers braintrust just didn't want Jordy back, but I don't buy the "declining production due to age" line that they trotted out. There was something else there that's been buried.

Let's talk money. Cobb $11.3 mill, and Graham $5.9. Total of $17.2 mill.
Now for the cuts. Nelson $7.4 mill, and Cook $5.7 mill. Total of $13.1 mill.

Production totals:
Nelson & Cook: 46-652-4
Graham & Cobb: 33-363-2

Percentage of passing production
Nelson & Cook - Percentage of receptions - 38.3% Yardage - 48.9%
Graham & Cobb - Percentage of receptions - 32.0% - Yardage - 33.7%

Yards per catch:
Nelson 17.0
Cook 14.2
Cobb 11.4
Graham 10.6

My statements about Nelson and Cook are based on real time production not saying they're too old, too slow, or anything dealing with conjecture. The fact is, the two that got away are playing for $4 mill less, and Nelson would have settled for $5 mill, at the most $6 mill in GB. The Packers screwed up in who they dumped.

For anyone to use last year's production figures as an analysis as to how good anyone was as a receiver is hogwash. We had a QB for most of the season who was incapable of throwing the ball to someone who ran precise routes, and would be open when the ball got there. He could only throw to someone who was already open because he did not have the field of vision.

If you're looking for a problem explain to all of us how these two Packer cast offs are part of a system that throws the ball for greater yardage, further YPC, and is higher rated than ours, with the best QB in the NFL? Our guys, with Rodgers, should have more production in this comparison. Yet, they don't, and it has to do with coaching and assessment of player value.

Boys, I don't give a rats ass which one you kept your all missing the bigger picture.
Cobb and Nelson can't play OL which has already given up a bunch of sacks and pressure. Cobb and Nelson don't coach the Green bay Packers(BIG BIG PROBLEM).
Cobb and Nelson don't play for the 23rd rated defense which outside of a rookie qb has looked average. Cobb and Nelson can't coach special teams or aquire talent.

Bottom line if ya'll want to run around and chaise your tail like a coon dog with fleas that's great and dandy but your not really touching on a whole lot of other issues here. tc(br)

Back