Post Game Thread: Packers Dump Bears 31-23

Division games on the road are tough, no matter what. Ask the Seahawks.

Anyway, couple bright spots: Ty Montgomery in the return game, James Jones (!) coming out of nowhere with 2 TDs, one TD taken away by penalty and one dropped, Peppers, CMIII with the play of the game, offense humming along.

Third down defense was backbreaking, run D had a handful of nice moments but most of the time were just getting washed out. Give the Bears credit for executing a game plan, I hate to think what could have happened if Kevin White was healthy. Penalties were terrible and MM damn well better get that crap cleaned up. Veterans on D jumping offsides 3 times is just unacceptable.

I think the biggest problem for the defense was the poor tackling. If those tackles are made, you dont see most of the other problems that happened. All of the penalties need to be cleaned up to, way to many. Just an all around sloppy game. The defense had the worse game, but the offense has work to do also. With a few games under their belt, the offense will click better, I just hate the slow starts.

The Bears are a much improved team. Their OL seems alot better. If they are fully healthy, they have a good chance to win today. How many of our problems today could be from the Bears being better under the new coaching staff and forcing our problems? I think that needs to be taken into consideration to. Next week will be a harder game, especially with the Seahawks losing today. Our guys better come ready to play as they wont be able to afford to play like this next week.

Continue reading...

Packers coach Mike McCarthy had a of of praise for James Jones and Clay Matthews in his press conference following Green Bay’s season opening victory over the Bears.
Other highlights from his press conference:
* It’s a good way to start the season. “A lot of good things to build off of. A lot of things we can learn from.”
* Wanted to establish the run and the pass. “Aaron and Tom Clements did an excellent job handling that; Aaron did a good job managing things at the line of scrimmage.”
* “The run defense was a bit of an issue in the beginning.” “Came in with a lot of respect for Matt Forte and really he obviously played very well in the first half. We’ll have some things to learn from there.”
* “The pre-snap penalties – there’s no excuse for that. We’ve got to get rid of that.” “Clay coming up with the huge play, the fourth down stop down there in the fourth quarter – those are huge plays for us on defense and definitely the turning point in the game.”
* James Jones: “Knowing Aaron Rodgers and their relationship, if I was a betting man, I would have bet the ball was going to go to him. James looks like he never left. He’s in playing shape. Aaron and JJ have a connection as far as timing and so forth. JJ made a huge catch in the end zone to our left. I’m not surprised at all JJ came in and stepped right in and was able to play.”
* Defense. “We’ve got to clean up the penalties. … Our run defense improved in the second half.”
* Lacy’s catch. “It wasn’t practiced that way I can assure you that. Hell of a play by Aaron and obviously catch by Eddie.”
* Peppers. “Julius – Father Time is treating him well. He’s the same player every day.”
* “We have a group of men that have spent a lot of time together.”

* “I’m glad James Jones is here. It’s great to have him back. He’s a great guy in our locker room. He’s a wonderful family man. He’s always represented the Packers the right way.”
* “He’s a pro. James is a man who puts in a lot of extra hours. It’s not uncommon to run in to him late at night downstairs doing extra things whether it is in the weight room or the training room. That’s how you play the way he played today. He’s a sneaky preparation guy. He doesn’t really want you to know he’s down there doing it but he puts in a lot of extra time.”
* Great respect for the rivalry. Bears were a point in the highlight video with the team before the game.
* “Clay Matthews is obviously a terrific talent. Let alone an outstanding football player. I thought he was going to score. If he keeps cutting back like that, we might have to get him on offense. That was a big time play. That was a play we needed. I thought that play changed the game.”
* Ty Montgomery. “He made really good decisions on when to bring the ball out of the end zone. Blocking unit did a really good job. Ty ran his track and hit it, the blocking and second effort by our return unit looked to be darn good.”
* “Special teams did a lot of good things today. Our return game was really good. ... We didn’t see anything crazy schematically from them today.

Starting the season with a win is good. And it's the first game of the season so nothing to really be concerned about yet,

Sloppy game. Which we all expected it would be.

Offense was good.

Defense was bad with the exception of a few players.

Props to Jones for his first game. Was he a good signing? Ask me at the end of the year.

Player of the game: CMIII tackling Forte from behind, and the INT changed the whole game...

Also props to CHI for having 1st and goal on the 2 and only running Forte once. GB appreciates that.

Positive's :
James Jones - Welcome back.

Aaron Rodgers - Seems even more comfortable/in command of the offense than years prior. Scary prospect for other teams.

Clay Matthews - Claymaker.

Julius Peppers - Disruptive.

Ty Montgomery - Looks good on kick returns.

Negatives :

Sam Shields - Today is what we'd call a nightmare for him.

HHCD - Work on that tackling.

The rest of the defense - Seriously, work on that tackling.

Solid win,defense looks concerning hopefully they can improve as the season goes along.

But Clinton Dix whiff is the new Brad Jones, FP(bh(

This D is really bad...very lackluster and no ability to get off the field on 3rd down...bad...all kinds of bad if they don't get turnovers...

Rodgers and company were rusty after not working together full speed. It's going to take 2-3 more games to click. I'll take the win but it was far from pretty.

Studs

Aaron Rodgers - 18-23, 189, 3 TD 0 INT

James Jones - 4-51, 2 TD's (Shoulda been 3)

Lacy - 19-85, 1 TD Bounced it outside a bit too much, but ran hard inside.

Clay Matthews - Key INT and great play to run down Forte

Special Teams - Other than penalty on Shields, who had a bad day overall, Special Teams were solid.

Duds

HHCD - 2 of the worst tackle attempts I've ever seen.

Shields - Penalties on ST, on defense, and got beat on coverage.

Richardson - Can't cover, and threw in a bad penalty for good measure.

Defensive front 7 - Haven't had time to sort everything out, but run defense was terrible.

A few thoughts :

I couldn't count the missed tackles by our D today, especially HaHa. Needs to improve. Lacy is just what we need in the running game.

Jones showed why he will help all season long. He has size and hands on the outside. I'm looking for him to do very well this year. No hesitations about saying it too.

Cobb is obviously still hurting. Yeah, he's putting out on the field and is a tough son of a gun. But he is hurting out there. Maybe they can put him on a snap count the next couple of weeks.

Our team seemed out of sync or less than disciplined at times. Weird. Gonna need to improve next week.

Given the game plan, I'm not surprised that da Bears hung in there a long time. But I don't think they ever had control over our guys.

On to Seattle next week !

Saying Shields had a bad game is an understatement. That guy spent more of the day on the ground than standing up. Game ball has to go to James Jones for essentially having a very Jordy Nelson day after being cut by 2 teams. Obviously Aaron also had a great game, and Ty Montgomery looks like a real return man, which is great.

Sam seemed to be slipping around on that awful turf. I think not having Burnett back there hurt more than we thought it would.

Back