Post Game Thread: Packers Dump Bears 31-23

A few thoughts :

I couldn't count the missed tackles by our D today, especially HaHa. Needs to improve. Lacy is just what we need in the running game.

Jones showed why he will help all season long. He has size and hands on the outside. I'm looking for him to do very well this year. No hesitations about saying it too.

Cobb is obviously still hurting. Yeah, he's putting out on the field and is a tough son of a gun. But he is hurting out there. Maybe they can put him on a snap count the next couple of weeks.

Our team seemed out of sync or less than disciplined at times. Weird. Gonna need to improve next week.

Given the game plan, I'm not surprised that da Bears hung in there a long time. But I don't think they ever had control over our guys.

On to Seattle next week !

Ha Ha had a couple of lousy misses but he had some good ones too. Sam had an awful day.

Ha Ha had a couple of lousy misses but he had some good ones too. Sam had an awful day.

Agree, many Packers had a worse day than HaHa. Mike Neal, Barrington and Palmer were three guys who really don't even look interested. Neal's run defense was non-existant, he got owned a couple times trying to set an edge. I' sorry, but Barrington and Palmer are not an upgrade from last year IMO. You gotta WANT to hit somebody! DL got little push, mostly pushed around.

I really think we get out game planned sometime. How do they get away with constantly isolating Forte on a LB? Effort on Chicago's last TD drive was pathetic. We lack desire and toughness on D.

The last TD drive didn't bother me effort wise. It did bother me defensive scheme wise. Prevent defense in that case was an awful call. The long drives the rest of the game were concerning. Not making a stop on 3rd and long most times was very frustrating. #37 was awful and single handedly nearly gave the game away. Offsides on the FG and falling down more than a 12 month old trying to keep up with the family dog was unacceptable. From all accounts the Bears are an improved team with a good coaching staff so getting the win yesterday was huge.

People saying Seattle is going to come in angry and focussed should be saying the same thing about Green Bay. If that defensive performance didn't anger them then it is going to be a long season.

Barrington was playing on a bum ankle so I'll give him a break. We had that 2 DL thing going with Peppers on one side and Neal on the other and I have never known that look to be effective against the run. When a team runs the ball 30 times and your team leader in tackles is Sam Shields, there is a problem. CHI did a good job getting favorable match-ups and exploiting them. With those looks and match-ups now in the books it'll be interesting to see how the chess match goes in November.

As for the OL, I thought it was feast or famine but mostly feast. Two holding penalties, one to wipe out a TD, and one false start were just terrible, but otherwise Rodgers was not sacked or even knocked down. They kept him very clean. Josh Sitton was just having his way with guys. James Starks converting a 4th and 2 run tells you how much push the OL got. Hopefully they can get a little more in sync as the season goes on but overall a good start for those guys.

There were many moments where we were in position to make a stop on 3rd down and just didn't get the job done - especially in the first half. In that half we played stupid football with lousy tackling and dumb penalties while the Bears were playing about as well as they reasonably could and we were only down by 3 at the half. It looked like adjustments were made (and a stern talking to by MM ;)) in the locker room and they played better in the second half.

Barrington was playing on a bum ankle so I'll give him a break. We had that 2 DL thing going with Peppers on one side and Neal on the other and I have never known that look to be effective against the run. When a team runs the ball 30 times and your team leader in tackles is Sam Shields, there is a problem. CHI did a good job getting favorable match-ups and exploiting them. With those looks and match-ups now in the books it'll be interesting to see how the chess match goes in November.

As for the OL, I thought it was feast or famine but mostly feast. Two holding penalties, one to wipe out a TD, and one false start were just terrible, but otherwise Rodgers was not sacked or even knocked down. They kept him very clean. Josh Sitton was just having his way with guys. James Starks converting a 4th and 2 run tells you how much push the OL got. Hopefully they can get a little more in sync as the season goes on but overall a good start for those guys.

There was one holding call on Bak that I thought was bogus. It appeared like he pancaked Jared Allen.

T It looked like adjustments were made (and a stern talking to by MM ;)) in the locker room and they played better in the second half.

Bears ran for 189 total, with 60 of those in the second half as they were trying to play catch up. Cutler threw for 154 of his 225 in the second half.

So while the D did a little better in the 2nd against the run I'd still say they moved the ball almost at will against us.

Starting the season with a win is good. And it's the first game of the season so nothing to really be concerned about yet,

Sloppy game. Which we all expected it would be.

Offense was good.

Defense was bad with the exception of a few players.

Props to Jones for his first game. Was he a good signing? Ask me at the end of the year.

Player of the game: CMIII tackling Forte from behind, and the INT changed the whole game...

Also props to CHI for having 1st and goal on the 2 and only running Forte once. GB appreciates that.

Was pleased to see the first sentence - impossible not to agree with that, and the best part was it didn't smack of "a win is a win". However, you then have to follow that up with "don't worry, be happy" because it's only the first game. We can't get upset before this, because "it's only preseason". Now, we can't get upset because it's only the first game. After seeing defenses that can't get off the field when necessary ever since the last Super Bowl (you mention them later), pi$$-poor tackling (ibid), and ultimately making a comfortable win into a nail-biter (thanks, in great part to the Bears, as in your last comment) when CAN we be concerned?

I really an not trying to be snarky, just couldn't find the appropriate emoticon. I just continue to feel my few remaining hairs stand on end when folks say R-E-L-A-X.

Back