Recruiting and NIL

Was at a dinner last night with some couples from our church. One of the couples has a son, who is now a backup QB at Michigan (his backup highlights include an interception against UW last year). First of all, every summer the Michigan Football team does a 2 week trip - usually to Europe or something; this year they only did a "tour of Michigan". Now, I know we all have been talking about NIL, but let me tell you what their son is getting. The owner of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is a Michigan Alum, and also has a lot of real estate investments. Their son is one of 9 players that he pays their entire tuition ($42 grand per semester) and he gets $5,000 a month. And recently, for a promotion of the MI National Guard, he was on a Chinook helicopter, tweeting about his ride, and he got $18K payment. The father (who played football at Penn State), was just chuckling about how they have now made booster payments legal. The part of this we never talk about is all of that money is TAXABLE - they kicked him off of their tax filing because at their tax rate they were getting killed - so he has to file independently now.
Just reading his bio included on the MI football site (Alan Bowman). His father, who I had dinner with last night, failed to mention that while he was at Penn state, that he was on the National championship team of 82. That he's never told me.

Was at a dinner last night with some couples from our church. One of the couples has a son, who is now a backup QB at Michigan (his backup highlights include an interception against UW last year). First of all, every summer the Michigan Football team does a 2 week trip - usually to Europe or something; this year they only did a "tour of Michigan". Now, I know we all have been talking about NIL, but let me tell you what their son is getting. The owner of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is a Michigan Alum, and also has a lot of real estate investments. Their son is one of 9 players that he pays their entire tuition ($42 grand per semester) and he gets $5,000 a month. And recently, for a promotion of the MI National Guard, he was on a Chinook helicopter, tweeting about his ride, and he got $18K payment. The father (who played football at Penn State), was just chuckling about how they have now made booster payments legal. The part of this we never talk about is all of that money is TAXABLE - they kicked him off of their tax filing because at their tax rate they were getting killed - so he has to file independently now.
It’s
its also an issue with collectives. If they lose 501c status doners contributions then are not deductible

Just reading his bio included on the MI football site (Alan Bowman). His father, who I had dinner with last night, failed to mention that while he was at Penn state, that he was on the National championship team of 82. That he's never told me.
I could tell a few stories myself. The money has been there for a lot of players for a long time. One of the ways they skirted it all was "summer jobs."

I could tell a few stories myself. The money has been there for a lot of players for a long time. One of the ways they skirted it all was "summer jobs."
Agents have also been handing out cash for decades. So have shoe companies and AAU and ….well you get the point. Now instead of some “runner” it’s NIL. Sometimes i laugh when folks think this is some new phenomenon

There will always be loopholes no matter what rules or laws will be put in place regards to further NIL money.

There will always be loopholes no matter what rules or laws will be put in place regards to further NIL money.
The NCAA never cared about “loopholes “ in their own rules for decades. As to taxes and deductions that’s a totally different issue

What's puzzled me in the past is how the NCAA would attack some programs for trivial violations of rules, then use blinders, allowing other institutions to totally disregard the rules.

What's puzzled me in the past is how the NCAA would attack some programs for trivial violations of rules, then use blinders, allowing other institutions to totally disregard the rules.
Simple. Money.
No chance they take blue blood programs in hoops like Kentucky or Kansas or UCLA off TV or the tournament. In football no chance Alabama of Auburn or Florida or FSU are denied a bowl or CFP.

All about the money

Back