Rodgers to play past 40?

here is a list of every wide receiver drafted by ted thompson during his time as the gm for green bay.

terrence murphy, 2005 - 2nd rnd
craig bragg, 2005 - 6th rnd
greg jennings, 2006 - 2nd rnd
cory rodgers, 2006 - 4th rnd
james jones, 2007 - 3rd rnd
david clowney, 2007 - 5th rnd
jordy nelson, 2008 - 2nd rnd
brett swain, 2008 - 7th rnd
randall cobb, 2011 - 2nd rnd
charles johnson, 2013 - 7th rnd
kevin dorsey, 2013 - 7th rnd
davante adams, 2014 - 2nd rnd
jared abbrederis, 2014 - 5th rnd
jeff janis, 2014 - 7th rnd
trevor davis, 2016 - 5th rnd
deangelo yancey, 2017 - 5th rnd
malachi dupre, 2017 - 7th rnd

james jones is kinda iffy, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 5 out of 18 isn't what i would call a good eye.
Most were day 3 picks can't expect much out of a day 3 guy his day 2 now we're pretty good

here is a list of every wide receiver drafted by ted thompson during his time as the gm for green bay.

james jones is kinda iffy, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 5 out of 18 isn't what i would call a good eye.

TT's decline in later years is well known, but how many pro-bowl/all pro/league TD leading WR do you think a GM normally drafts?

Five 7th rounders on that list, one of them actually made a little career for himself. And Murphy gets an asterisk because his career was cut short so quickly.

TT's decline in later years is well known, but how many pro-bowl/all pro/league TD leading WR do you think a GM normally drafts?

Five 7th rounders on that list, one of them actually made a little career for himself. And Murphy gets an asterisk because his career was cut short so quickly.

yeah, i knew i would get the late round blowback. but seriously, are we saying that any wide receiver drafted after the second round isn't good enough to play in the nfl? i think you'll have to agree that's not true. i don't know what other gms' records are of late round successes. but i bet there are some who found more than zero.

i think one of the other glaring things about that list is that no wide receivers were drafted at all in 2009, 2010, 2012, or 2015. and other than davante, you have to go all the way back to 2011 to find a good pick.

Quite a few of these played elsewhere, and btw Terrence Murphy was gonna absolutely be a super star. Had one of those neck impingements like Nick Collins. That dude was the real deal.

Hard to break a roster with Diver Jennings et al on it. Also, Bragg was drafted as a punt returner. Corey Rodgers too.

Quite a few of these played elsewhere

quite a few? like who?
"played" as in starter or bench warmer?

i mean, sure clowney went to the jets where he caught a total of 16 passes in four years.

after he left the packers, brett swain was picked up by the 49ers, where caught two passes for 15 yards.

cory rodgers got picked up by the 49ers but he never played in a single game even on special teams.

craig bragg never played a single snap for any team.

kevin dorsey never played anywhere after he was cut from the packers.

jared abbrederis had one season with the lions, where he caught three passes for 44 yards.

jeff janis was picked up by the browns after he left the packers but he did not play in a regular season game for the browns or any other team.

trevor davis had 7 catches for 83 yards in his (less than) one season with the raiders.

deangelo yancey never had any stats anywhere.

malachi dupre actually did get on the field for one game with arizona in 2018. he did not have any stats.

i guess charles johnson had the biggest career of them all. after he left the packers, he went to the cleveland browns, where he had zero stats. then he went to the vikings, where he had his best three years, averaging 20 catches for 278 yards per year.

sorry, but none of these guys were nfl material.

quite a few? like who?
"played" as in starter or bench warmer?

i mean, sure clowney went to the jets where he caught a total of 16 passes in four years.

after he left the packers, brett swain was picked up by the 49ers, where caught two passes for 15 yards.

cory rodgers got picked up by the 49ers but he never played in a single game even on special teams.

craig bragg never played a single snap for any team.

kevin dorsey never played anywhere after he was cut from the packers.

jared abbrederis had one season with the lions, where he caught three passes for 44 yards.

jeff janis was picked up by the browns after he left the packers but he did not play in a regular season game for the browns or any other team.

trevor davis had 7 catches for 83 yards in his (less than) one season with the raiders.

deangelo yancey never had any stats anywhere.

malachi dupre actually did get on the field for one game with arizona in 2018. he did not have any stats.

i guess charles johnson had the biggest career of them all. after he left the packers, he went to the cleveland browns, where he had zero stats. then he went to the vikings, where he had his best three years, averaging 20 catches for 278 yards per year.

sorry, but none of these guys were nfl material.
These guys were special teamers. Remember Swain stuffing all those fake punts by Chicago!? That's how he blew out his knee iirc.

Yancey and Dupre disappointed me. Charles Johnson had a torn up knee which went undiagnosed by our crack(ed) training staff, back when players were looking to local yoga instructors and the P90X guy.

Ted was very good, but he let the defense slide. "We have Aaron Rodgers. We're going to outscore teams."

Anyway, Ted's WR sweet spot was in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

Back