The Blueprint

Terranimal

Reaction score
Suppose some might think by the title that this is about the Rams. They went all in and traded away their picks for star players.

That way is so risky. There is no guarantee that it will work either getting all those personalities together. It for them because of their culture and leaders in the locker room. Still feel they are the exception and not the rule, not to mention the window is short as cap issues and expiring contracts come due.

The Blueprint I'm referring to is the one Cincy used and for the most part, the one the Pats used during the Brady era.

The Pats model signed older vets and players needing second chances. They had the locker room and culture to handle players that were maybe problem players prior.

But the part that always drove me nuts during the Thompson tenure, was Pats traded players they knew they couldn't re-sign and aquired draft picks for them. Meanwhile TT had players play out their contracts and then only got comp picks.

The Bengal model is one that might be more in line with Green Bay.

They drafted some players who already played in big stages for National Championships and from big programs. They didn't break the bank in free agent signings but rather hard working blue collar type players.

The one thing all their players had in common? They all loved the game if football and like the Rams bought into the culture of team is bigger then me mentality.

I keep hearing it's hard to get free agents to come to GB. Well no one outside the Bengal locker room thought they had a shot at the season they did and came off a 3 win season, yet signed a bunch of free agents. It's the sell on the culture. And not all players come from big cities, many come from small towns or the country, like Jordy did for example.

Suppose some might think by the title that this is about the Rams. They went all in and traded away their picks for star players.

That way is so risky. There is no guarantee that it will work either getting all those personalities together. It for them because of their culture and leaders in the locker room. Still feel they are the exception and not the rule, not to mention the window is short as cap issues and expiring contracts come due.

The Blueprint I'm referring to is the one Cincy used and for the most part, the one the Pats used during the Brady era.

The Pats model signed older vets and players needing second chances. They had the locker room and culture to handle players that were maybe problem players prior.

But the part that always drove me nuts during the Thompson tenure, was Pats traded players they knew they couldn't re-sign and aquired draft picks for them. Meanwhile TT had players play out their contracts and then only got comp picks.

The Bengal model is one that might be more in line with Green Bay.

They drafted some players who already played in big stages for National Championships and from big programs. They didn't break the bank in free agent signings but rather hard working blue collar type players.

The one thing all their players had in common? They all loved the game if football and like the Rams bought into the culture of team is bigger then me mentality.

I keep hearing it's hard to get free agents to come to GB. Well no one outside the Bengal locker room thought they had a shot at the season they did and came off a 3 win season, yet signed a bunch of free agents. It's the sell on the culture. And not all players come from big cities, many come from small towns or the country, like Jordy did for example.
Let’s not compare Cincinnati as a city / market to GB. It’s not even close. And Nelson played P5 football at K State

Cincy also had some very high draft picks that got them very good talent. Unless GB goes n a hole and picks top 5 for a few years in row can't be the same.

Let’s not compare Cincinnati as a city / market to GB. It’s not even close. And Nelson played P5 football at K State
I don't get this line of thinking anymore, it's straight out the "70's and 80's" mentality. 99 times out of 100 a UFA will sign where the money is best, in GB or otherwise. There is nothing inherent about GB or anywhere else that precludes a UFA from not signing there. Again, go back to winter 2019 when Gute went on a FA splurge, read the player quotes. Always something akin to, "My agent called and said we had a deal, and I said where am I going?"

I don't get this line of thinking anymore, it's straight out the "70's and 80's" mentality. 99 times out of 100 a UFA will sign where the money is best, in GB or otherwise. There is nothing inherent about GB or anywhere else that precludes a UFA from not signing there. Again, go back to winter 2019 when Gute went on a FA splurge, read the player quotes. Always something akin to, "My agent called and said we had a deal, and I said where am I going?"
Yep this was Z. Smith saying pretty much the same thing that he let his agent do all the talking just call him up let him know who gave him how much money. The union also pushes the player to take the biggest contract and not go were they prefer because they don't ever want a player taking less.

Most of those guys are professionals, you go play wherever for whatever money you can get, you find the good part of things and deal with it. It's their job. No one is making them spend their whole carers there or the rest of their lives.

On the other hand, yes, some small percentage of UFAs might be off limits because they want to play in LA or something and that is what it is. It's absolutely nothing that prevents a team from competing for a SB.

I have heard the opposite directly.

Yep this was Z. Smith saying pretty much the same thing that he let his agent do all the talking just call him up let him know who gave him how much money. The union also pushes the player to take the biggest contract and not go were they prefer because they don't ever want a player taking less.
The NFLPA does not get involved as much as some would like you to believe. They love the high AAV which is what’s published for PR purposes but all the Union cares about it guaranteed at signing

Cincy also had some very high draft picks that got them very good talent. Unless GB goes n a hole and picks top 5 for a few years in row can't be the same.
Cincy also has an owner that was known as a cheapskate. From player contracts all the way down to locker room amenities. They have been drafting in the top of the draft for decades. Law of averages says they were finally due to hit on some picks. No one, not even them expected to be in the SB this year. Again, 30 years since they won a playoff game. This is a franchise that is a perennial bottom dweller for a reason. Brown wasn't known for spending on facilities, etc. Employed damn near all his family and had one of the smallest personnel departments in the league. Didn't want to pay scouts. They may have changed some in the most recent years but let's not act like Cincinnati is the new gold standard.of front offices.

Last edited:
Cincy also has an owner that was known as a cheapskate. From player contracts all the way down to locker room amenities. They have been drafting in the top of the draft for decades. Law of averages says they were finally due to hiton some picks. No one, not even them expected to be in the SB this year. Again, 30 years since they won a playoff game. This is a franchise that is a perennial bottom dweller for a reason. Brown wasn't known for spending on facilities, etc. Employed damn near all his family and had one of the smallest personell departments in the league. Didn't want to pay scouts. They may have changed some in the most recent years but let's not act like Cincinnati is the new gold standard.of front offices.
What's helping the Bengals is I think his daughter is now running the team for the most part which I think has helped change things.

Back