The Cut List

rpiotr01

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Every new GM is initially tasked with cutting the dead weight on the roster he inherits. It's a little different in GB because the new GM has some responsibility for having built the current roster, but nevertheless, Gutekunst wasn't the one making and shaping the final 53 each year. Ted developed a notoriously long leash for his own guys whether they could hack it or not, and it's resulted IMO in some failed/failing picks staying too long. I thought it might be interesting to really think about which guys are looking at a make or break camp, and why or why not. Here's my list, in no particular order:

Jason Spriggs
Trevor Davis
Kyler Fackrell
Aaron Ripkowski
Ty Montgomery
Quinten Rollins (injury may force this one)
Geromino Allison
Kofi Amichia
Josh Jones

No way you cut Spriggs or Jones. They were both rookies that showed promise. Yes mistakes were made by both guys but they also did some good things. I can see Bulaga getting cut before Spriggs. The rest of your list are career back-ups so cutting them won't be a big deal.

You have to consider adding Nelson to the list. He is not the same old Jordy.

Ty is cheap on rookie deal I would cut Randall Cobb who is overpaid at this point and put Ty in the slot can get the same thing for less money.

I think we can all agree that we should put Ty back as a WR. I thought he showed that he was becoming a solid 3rd WR. Now that we have what looks like two good RBs I'm hoping they switch him back to his natural position.

IMO Spriggs has shown no sign he can play outside at all. If they try him inside and he fails there, might Gutey cut him despite his high draft status?

Josh Jones is an interesting one. I LOVED that pick when it was made but the guy was so lost last year in coverage and was such a liability on ST that Zook had to bench him. Now it's probably a year early to have this discussion about him but if he comes to camp this year and still doesn't get it as a true S, and if Pettine doesn't think he can find a spot for him in the front 7, who knows, maybe they admit the mistake and move on.

Montgomery is a man without a position. He's a failed fulltime RB and I don't think he showed what they're looking for as a WR either. I think his best position is a 3rd down back plus KR, but with 3 newly minted backs last year and who knows, maybe another this year, where does he fit?

The exercise here is to think about moving on from mistakes rather than spending year after year trying to squeeze them in at one place or another.

Okie Dokie....

Kyler Fackrell
Kofi Amichia
Demetri Goodson
Lenzy Pipkins
Jeff Janis
Quinton Dial
Lance Kendricks
Ahmad Brooks
Jermaine Whitehead

Goodson can't get on the field and was a fart in the wind to start with. Whitehead and Pipkins are not quality depth bye.
Dial and Brooks are niners has beens that helped not at all.

Janis isn't going to get a fair shake from MM. Cut him loose already. Kendricks shows flash's but that's been his MO in the league. Go draft a TE and acquire a vet. Cut this guy loose as well.

Fackrell is meh.. we need wow ! not meh.

I'd take Mark's list

Kyler Fackrell
Kofi Amichia
Demetri Goodson
Lenzy Pipkins
Jeff Janis
Quinton Dial
Lance Kendricks
Ahmad Brooks
Jermaine Whitehead

and Add
Devante Mays He was a reach anyway a better RB prospect can be acquired.
Jake Ryan he's ok but I agree with Mark we need more playmakers on defense, stick Matthews in the middle.
Kyle Murphy and Ulrick John, No thank you. Go get better OT depth.

I wonder if they'll hold onto everyone, until both coordinators get a chance to critique what these guys bring to the table. Then there's the draft as well. I don't expect to see a lot of movement, until then, unless it's someone who they just plain don't want - period.

It's so difficult reading what two new coordinators, a new GM, and McCarthy, all agree on at this point.

Back