The NFL Money Machine

FlaPack

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
  • The average team value grew 14% in the last year to $3.48 billion
  • Every team’s value increased by 10-20% in the past year, except for the Super Bowl-winning Tampa Bay Buccaneers, whose value grew 29% to $2.94 billion — still only 21st in the league
  • The league signed $113 billion in new media deals that run from 2023-33 (Amazon’s begins in 2022). Payouts to each team from these deals will grow steadily from $220 million this year to $377 million in 2032.
  • The league’s venture wing, 32 Equity, has brought in annual returns over 30% on average since its launch in 2013. Its investments include Fanatics, Skillz, and Genius Sports.
  • And remember the salary cap was reduced 1 day before TV deals were announced
Now back to your regularly schedule program

Tom Brady was livid over this saying players and NFLPA were suckers for giving into the owners demands about losing money and lowering the cap.

This is why no player should ever give a hometown discount ofor settle for less. The owners are every bit the greedy bastards people say they are. Players gave up way too much. Why they keep getting suckered is beyond me.

For the players, it's all about instant gratification. The owners keep dangling that carrot out there, and the players jump for it, and get hooked.

For the players, it's all about instant gratification. The owners keep dangling that carrot out there, and the players jump for it, and get hooked.
Yep players are more interested in getting more time off in the off-season less time in pads and being able to smoke weed more then fighting to get more cash out of the owners.

I can remember when players took off season jobs to survive. I remember going out to lunch with Ron Kostlenik every two to three weeks, when he was selling industrial supplies. It was before he actually owned a business. Like he said then, "You need it to feed the family. Football doesn't pay well enough to allow you to buy a home and get set up for the rest of your life."

I also dealt with Don Kessinger, who played with the Cubs. He worked with my bank. Met him for the first time when he was at work there, and a bomb threat was called in. I arrived and took over the scene, and stayed inside, ushering everyone out, through a security check. Got to talking to him when I went outside, after the bomb squad arrived. Had a nice conversation, and we ended up doing lunch quite often during the off season for a couple of years. Nice guy, and he too said you needed a second job to put enough away for after you leave the game.

That's just two, in two different sports. How things have changed.

I can remember when players took off season jobs to survive. I remember going out to lunch with Ron Kostlenik every two to three weeks, when he was selling industrial supplies. It was before he actually owned a business. Like he said then, "You need it to feed the family. Football doesn't pay well enough to allow you to buy a home and get set up for the rest of your life."

I also dealt with Don Kessinger, who played with the Cubs. He worked with my bank. Met him for the first time when he was at work there, and a bomb threat was called in. I arrived and took over the scene, and stayed inside, ushering everyone out, through a security check. Got to talking to him when I went outside, after the bomb squad arrived. Had a nice conversation, and we ended up doing lunch quite often during the off season for a couple of years. Nice guy, and he too said you needed a second job to put enough away for after you leave the game.

That's just two, in two different sports. How things have changed.
Heck today now you have 1st year rookies making over $600K. Even if a guy only played the 3 year average they still should make close to $1 million after taxes. If they had any brains and saved the money and did not spend it that $1 million should help them live a comfortable life even if they go back just to working a regular 9-5 job after their 3 years in the NFL.

Heck today now you have 1st year rookies making over $600K. Even if a guy only played the 3 year average they still should make close to $1 million after taxes. If they had any brains and saved the money and did not spend it that $1 million should help them live a comfortable life even if they go back just to working a regular 9-5 job after their 3 years in the NFL.
Like in any profession, your lifestyle changes based on your salary. Sure that make a $1m clear but after expenses it’s not near what it takes to retire unless your next gig pays well.

Like in any profession, your lifestyle changes based on your salary. Sure that make a $1m clear but after expenses it’s not near what it takes to retire unless your next gig pays well.
No won't let you retire but could let you live comfortable. Could buy you a house and and as long as you don't overspend could have money left over still and having a house paid for that means regular wages can be spent on other things and not a house payment each month.

No won't let you retire but could let you live comfortable. Could buy you a house and and as long as you don't overspend could have money left over still and having a house paid for that means regular wages can be spent on other things and not a house payment each month.
Based on housing prices where? Does he have a family? So many variables. Just using Tampa as an example we are looking to move back and buy and can’t find anything that works under $200,000 for a condo. And that’s not in some high income area either

Last edited:
Back