The NFL Money Machine

I can remember when players took off season jobs to survive. I remember going out to lunch with Ron Kostlenik every two to three weeks, when he was selling industrial supplies. It was before he actually owned a business. Like he said then, "You need it to feed the family. Football doesn't pay well enough to allow you to buy a home and get set up for the rest of your life."

I also dealt with Don Kessinger, who played with the Cubs. He worked with my bank. Met him for the first time when he was at work there, and a bomb threat was called in. I arrived and took over the scene, and stayed inside, ushering everyone out, through a security check. Got to talking to him when I went outside, after the bomb squad arrived. Had a nice conversation, and we ended up doing lunch quite often during the off season for a couple of years. Nice guy, and he too said you needed a second job to put enough away for after you leave the game.

That's just two, in two different sports. How things have changed.
True even though too young for the time (60's) I do remember in 70's hearing Lombardi's talking how they all had to havejobs in off season . This was why there used to be long hour traning camps so players got back in shape. Vs now when it's a ft job w workout bonuses and they stay in shape year round

This is why no player should ever give a hometown discount ofor settle for less. The owners are every bit the greedy bastards people say they are. Players gave up way too much. Why they keep getting suckered is beyond me.
The problem is there are not enough in the rank and file willing to miss a paycheck. On the flip side 90% of ownership would be more than happy to cancel the season than move on revenue. I know Smith get a bad rap but until the players get the sack to miss paychecks and hold out for a significant length of time with significant being the key word that’s not ever changing no matter who is running the NLFPA

The problem is there are not enough in the rank and file willing to miss a paycheck. On the flip side 90% of ownership would be more than happy to cancel the season than move on revenue. I know Smith get a bad rap but until the players get the sack to miss paychecks and hold out for a significant length of time with significant being the key word that’s not ever changing no matter who is running the NLFPA
This what pissed Rodgers off he wanted guys to hold out but a guy who's made over $200 million playing can say that. A guy who's making league min and going to get a raise? No way is he holding out he's taking the money he can get now.

This what pissed Rodgers off he wanted guys to hold out but a guy who's made over $200 million playing can say that. A guy who's making league min and going to get a raise? No way is he holding out he's taking the money he can get now.
Well that’s my point. The rank and file is not going to risk a check. Owners welcome a lockout.

Well that’s my point. The rank and file is not going to risk a check. Owners welcome a lockout.
Yep and owners no players will never take a lockout and proved it by giving the min players a raise to get the CBA to pass. Will always work this way.

The work out bonuses that most players get today is actually more than most players got as a seasonal paycheck back in the day.

The work out bonuses that most players get today is actually more than most players got as a seasonal paycheck back in the day.
Yep Rodgers gave up 500K workout bonus over his protest.

This is why no player should ever give a hometown discount ofor settle for less. The owners are every bit the greedy bastards people say they are. Players gave up way too much. Why they keep getting suckered is beyond me.
While most owners are greedy bastards, nothing in what Pack stated listed anything to do with how much money the teams made. The reason the salary cap went down this year is due to lower than normal revenues LAST season because of empty stadiums. The teams growth in value does not mean they made money, it's simply an estimate made by someone stating what they think the teams are worth. Could be because of increases in real estate values, and is also influenced by potential future profits that will actually add to the teams' balance sheets.

While most owners are greedy bastards, nothing in what Pack stated listed anything to do with how much money the teams made. The reason the salary cap went down this year is due to lower than normal revenues LAST season because of empty stadiums. The teams growth in value does not mean they made money, it's simply an estimate made by someone stating what they think the teams are worth. Could be because of increases in real estate values, and is also influenced by potential future profits that will actually add to the teams' balance sheets.
Well it’s a cash cow. Remember the cap decreased before the new TV deals were announced. Coincidence? Hardly.

Each team gets a check for $321m each year before the lights go on. That does not include local revenue. That number will hit $400m once new deals kick in. And honestly even if team had to “open the books” I’m not convinced that we would know the “true” NFL revenue portion. Atlanta as an example is under the LLC AMB Sports and Entertainment which includes the MLS franchise, stadium non football revenue. Dallas local media is under a separate LLC Blue Star Media, Washington has a similar set up, most teams do

Back