The "position and "players" we need to draft in 2020 Thread.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Right now for me it's..... MLB, TE, OL depth and a #2 WR/RB.

Some guys I like in rounds 1 and 2

Erroll Thompson*, ILB, Mississippi State

Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt

CeeDee Lamb*, WR, Oklahoma

Tristan Wirfs*, OT, Iowa ( If There he's the next Bulaga. Solid RT)

Right now the first 3 picks need to be in no order right now are (OT,WR,ILB)

I would be willing to go BPA of any player at those 3 spots. Bulaga I don't think returns. ILB is clear we have nothing beyond Martinez and he's a FA. WR we need another playmaker to take double teams off Adams. We have not take a WR high since we took Adams in 2014 second round. You can only expect so much out of late round and UDFA's. Heck we can even consider a TE high enough if there is one to be worth drafting. We have so many needs that this will probably take 2 more drafts until we can start filling all the holes on the team.

Here's my thoughts on what we need in the next off-season. We are starting to see what’s good and what’s not. Things can obviously change over the rest of the season. Some guys develop and get better. Guys get injured and maybe leave their careers in doubt. Guys are at the end of contracts and we haven’t seen enough to think they’ll be renewed.

Needs for 2020 off-season ranked.
1 - OT – seems like this has been a need forever. Bulaga is gone I assume. They need a RT early in this draft because I’m not so sure Light is really more than a swing/back-up tackle. You can find guys later, but I think you up the odds if you take one in the first 2 rounds.
2 - WR – I see some decent guys but no true #2. I think about taking one early this year if available. Adams has a few top years left in him, but it’d be nice to develop a guy for a few seasons.
3 - QB – really might be need #1, but chances are we’ll still have AR for another season or two or three. You want to find a new guy but you don’t want to “press”. Take value if it’s there but don’t reach for some guy you don’t believe in, especially in Rd1. Later, sure, take a flier.
4 - ILB – they keep trying but just don’t find the right guy. I think Martinez is solid despite some coverage issues and he needs to be re-signed. After that, it’s still a mixed bag. Maybe Burks shows up in the second half of the season, but I think they need a solid second guy. Anywhere in the first 3-4 rounds would be fine.
5 - TE – you have 2 guys here that likely won’t be there in 2020. Tonyan might be solid. Obviously we know nothing about Sternberger yet. No need to go real early at TE, but a solid blocker in a later round might be a good idea.
6 - RB – Jones is the real deal but hasn’t been durable in the past. JWilliams is that perfect #3 guy. Solid pass blocker, solid receiver, and hits the hole fast and takes what’s blocked. Not a dynamic runner and not much of a threat. I’m still looking for that #2 guy. Probably not early but I’d want one somewhere in the draft.
7 - S – need a depth guy here, maybe a cheaper FA.
8 - CB – I like the group but you never rule out a top CB if he becomes available.
9 - DL – same as CB. A premium position where you always consider a guy if he falls.
10 - OLB – ditto. We are good here, but pass rusher is a premium position. Take value if it’s there.
11 - K – not sure how Crosby’s season will go, plus he’s in the last year of his deal. If there’s a guy there in the 6th or 7th that you really like, take him.
12 - OG – Taylor will be gone in 2020, but they have Jenkins and hopefully Madison and Patrick. Not a high priority right now, but I would still add a late round guy.
13 - FB – no need, and easy to acquire in the UDFA market.

Hopefully Gute will be able to fix a couple of spots in FA again. They should have enough CAP space after they release Graham and Taylor - about $35-40mil. They need to re-sign Martinez ($8-9mil/yr?). After that maybe they need to re-sign Crosby ($3-4mil/yr?) if he has a solid year, and maybe Fackrell if you want to maintain your OLB depth. Really not much money to be spent keeping their own. They don't "need" to do Clark next off-season, but if he stays healthy and continues to play like he is, they should try to get it done. That'll hurt a little. Probably to the tune of $15-20mil/yr. Even if they do a deal with Clark they should have enough money for a tier 2 type FA.

I have no solid thoughts on players yet. I do like Wirfs if he's there but it seems like he might not be an option for us, especially if we keep winning. Another interesting guy might be Walker Little from Stanford. Tore an ACL a couple of weeks ago so his draft stock will drop. Might be a good get if you are willing to take the risk on the knee. Later in Rd 2 or Rd 3 seems about right.

top four draft needs: ol, ilb, rb, wr.

top free agency targets: ilb, #2 receiver

What I saw last night didn't change my thoughts. OT, WR, ILB & TE are still the top needs. Maybe after the way the defense got destroyed against the run I should elevate DL as well. What a miserable performance by the front 7 last night.

I will say my top 2 are ILB and OT. Martinez is fine, but he needs someone solid to play alongside him. Even if Bulaga stays, we will need a OT to groom for when he is gone. Another rb to go with Jones would be next. I don't have a problem with our WRs as I think they will be fine....they are al young yet. TE, depends what they do with the current ones. Graham has another year on his contract, then Tonyan and Sternberger. Lewis I believe his contract is up after this year. Maybe a mid round TE to take Lewis's spot.

At this point IMHO needs as follows:

OL, WR, OL, ILB/MLB, OL, OL, TE, OL, DT, RB, and maybe OL?

In all seriousness to take the next step in the rebuild GB needs a better OL, better WR, better DL, better ILB/MLB, better TE, and more RB depth. Pretty much in that order.

Last edited:
Packers will draft Taylor in round one

Back