The "position and "players" we need to draft in 2020 Thread.

if i understood that post by mark a while back, the run game is supposed to create opportunities for big (deep) pass plays. that's one reason i thought mvs would be a big part of this offense. but it seems he's more fast than quick. he has build-up speed. it's been so long since we've seen esb that i can't remember whether he's quick or not. but i agree that is a need. hopefully we can find that guy in the draft.

Yup, build up speed is a great way to put it. I don't know what his testing numbers were but I don't see any kind of burst or twitch to him. Not sudden off the line or in and out of breaks. I don't think he reads the ball well in the air or knows how to adjust his pace accordingly (remember all camp long how he and Rodgers just couldn't connect deep?). Worst of all he's a body catcher, always has been. There's a reason he was a 5th rounder. Looking back, if not for other reasons, I think Cobb would've done well in this offense.

Yup, build up speed is a great way to put it. I don't know what his testing numbers were but I don't see any kind of burst or twitch to him. Not sudden off the line or in and out of breaks. I don't think he reads the ball well in the air or knows how to adjust his pace accordingly (remember all camp long how he and Rodgers just couldn't connect deep?). Worst of all he's a body catcher, always has been. There's a reason he was a 5th rounder. Looking back, if not for other reasons, I think Cobb would've done well in this offense.

sometimes draft profiles on nfl.com are pretty accurate.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection Rounds 6-7
NFL Comparison Charone Peake

Overview
Height, weight, speed prospect with intriguing deep ball capabilities as a big field stretcher. Valdes-Scantling is a work in progress who hasn't learned how to create leverage within his linear routes and doesn't have the ball skills he will need to win downfield. He's probably not ready to help a team just yet, but his issues may be correctable so he's worth a Day 3 selection as a stash-and-coach prospect.

Strengths
  • Possesses size and speed traits evaluators look to develop
  • Pushes off the line of scrimmage with good forward lean to build momentum into downfield routes
  • Long strider with build-up speed that eventually overtakes most cornerbacks
  • Saw 26.4 percent of his catches go for 25-plus yards
  • Poor deep ball placement from his quarterback prevented more easy touchdowns
Weaknesses
  • Routes lack sharpness and consistent play speed
  • Gives away stop routes prematurely
  • Slow to gather and redirect in space
  • Anchors on hitches and curls rather than working back to the throw
  • Too much body catching
  • Hands are small for his size and he suffers from focus drops
  • Gets deep but his ball skills down the field are lacking
  • Fails to utilize size to gain position
Sources Tell Us

"His issues look coachable to me. You don't know what he was being taught, but he's big and can run so you take that and then just get those routes right." -- Former NFL Pro Bowl receiver

With MVS and essentially our entire WR group not named Adams, their limitations are really all about "science". If it's heavier, with a higher center of gravity, it's not going to be as maneuverable. Other than the occasional "unicorn" athlete, those taller guys have certain talents and traits you like, but also certain limitations with route running. Harder to stop and start and change directions when you are that size.

Cars are kind of a "rough" analogy - and I'm hardly a racing expert. If you want to beat someone to the next stop light you want a dragster. If you want to beat someone on the interstate maybe a stock car would be a good option. To win a race on curvy mountain road, an Indy (or Formula 1) car would be better. The more you need to stop/start/turn the better it is if it's lighter/shorter/lower.

This team needs an Indy car or two.

The Packers can't keep thinking oh we can find the diamond in the rought on day 3 and we can turn him into a all pro. Players in day 3 are there for a reason and have issues to fix. You go cheap at a postion like Packers have at WR you get the results we have seen. Time to spend some high draft capital and get more talented players.

I was a Terry McLaurin WR Ohio, ( decent 3rd round indy car) fan last year. Someone to cover the spot after Cobb left. Not to be a revisionist, but he was picked 76, one spot behind Jace Sternhavenotcaughtonepassthisyearberger.

The issue with WR is it’s so difficult to project them to the next level. Watching USC last night was a perfect example. Basically no route tree, it’s about finding green grass. That’s not going to cut it in the NFL but that’s what so many of these spread systems are about. It’s why I like guys like Ruggs and Lamb especially Ruggs. More pro concepts

I'll keep beating this drum too.

Laviska Shenault

“The biggest thing to me is physically he can do everything,” Lieberman said. “He’s limitless and can run every route in the route tree. He also has strong hands. The first time I met him he was with seven other Colorado receivers, and they have a bunch of really good wide receivers, but his ability to explode just stood out a lot.”

Dylan Moses is off the table at ILB. He’s returning to school.

Question is now will a WR be on top of the board when it's possible 3-5 WR's could be drafted when GB picks. I could see a OL or DL be on the top of the team's board if that is the case. Or even possible Packers feel nothing they can't get if they don't move down 4-5 spots and out of the first round and get a extra day 3 pick.

Question is now will a WR be on top of the board when it's possible 3-5 WR's could be drafted when GB picks. I could see a OL or DL be on the top of the team's board if that is the case. Or even possible Packers feel nothing they can't get if they don't move down 4-5 spots and out of the first round and get a extra day 3 pick.

I guess it's all how the board falls, and again, drafting later each round.

Back