The Real Packers MVP

Terranimal

Reaction score
Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Favre, Brady, and some others.

What do they all have in common? Teams always had a chance to win with them and they put the team in their back and in big games came up big. Didn't always win but certainly fans and team mates always could count on them to give them the chance to win.

Can anyone say that about Rodgers?

Think a strong argument could be made that Favre did more with less talented teams, especially during the Sherman era then Rodgers has had for teams for the most part over the years.

And the only reason bring Favre up isn't to start that debate over again, but to emphasize a point here.

And yes Favre gave us heart attacks at times, as one game gave us a miracle like win ending and the next game scratching our heads with what would look like a bone head INT.

For all the administration for Rodgers during the regular season and maybe picking up another MVP, 44 yr old retiring Brady led the League with completions and TDs.

But it's the big games in playoffs and SBs that big time players come up big and is where Rodgers has fallen short.

This year was suppose to be the Last Dance and year Pack win it all. Having maybe the most talented offensive team since his SB win year, how can we say anything but the word "choke" in the loss?

So this brought myself to do some serious thinking about the demise of this year's playoff failure.

Leaving Special teams failure out of it and not an excuse as great players rise to challenges and overcome.

Then looked at the Offense. Yes deep threat MVS was out, but this wasn't first time this season and yet we won games. Tonyan was out most of the season so that wasn't it either.

So who was? In my opinion the real MVP for the Pack wasn't Adams or Rodgers. It was running back Corey Dillon.

Sometimes can't go off stats and places like FF. Sometimes the impact of a player is intangibles. So what am getting at here is an not going off stats but rather the eye test and other factors in my opinion if Dillon as MVP.

Dillon gave the true threat if a legit running game and seemed he got better as the game got later. The hammer in second half or needed to control the clock.

Assuming our intelligent ppl here don't need an explanation of the value of a running game.

Jones is a nice piece as a change of pace, situational player. But finally being healthy couldn't carry the team for the run game. The 4th quarter was wondering why we were throwing and abandoning the run and then found out Dillon was out due to rib injury.

Going back to beginning of this thread, this is where my thought comes back. With the game clearly on his shoulders and the great ones live for this challenge and believe they can will themselves and teams to a win, Rodgers once again came up short.

Starr, Staubach, Bradshaw, Montana, Elway, Favre, Brady, and some others.

What do they all have in common? Teams always had a chance to win with them and they put the team in their back and in big games came up big. Didn't always win but certainly fans and team mates always could count on them to give them the chance to win.

Can anyone say that about Rodgers?

Think a strong argument could be made that Favre did more with less talented teams, especially during the Sherman era then Rodgers has had for teams for the most part over the years.

And the only reason bring Favre up isn't to start that debate over again, but to emphasize a point here.

And yes Favre gave us heart attacks at times, as one game gave us a miracle like win ending and the next game scratching our heads with what would look like a bone head INT.

For all the administration for Rodgers during the regular season and maybe picking up another MVP, 44 yr old retiring Brady led the League with completions and TDs.

But it's the big games in playoffs and SBs that big time players come up big and is where Rodgers has fallen short.

This year was suppose to be the Last Dance and year Pack win it all. Having maybe the most talented offensive team since his SB win year, how can we say anything but the word "choke" in the loss?

So this brought myself to do some serious thinking about the demise of this year's playoff failure.

Leaving Special teams failure out of it and not an excuse as great players rise to challenges and overcome.

Then looked at the Offense. Yes deep threat MVS was out, but this wasn't first time this season and yet we won games. Tonyan was out most of the season so that wasn't it either.

So who was? In my opinion the real MVP for the Pack wasn't Adams or Rodgers. It was running back Corey Dillon.

Sometimes can't go off stats and places like FF. Sometimes the impact of a player is intangibles. So what am getting at here is an not going off stats but rather the eye test and other factors in my opinion if Dillon as MVP.

Dillon gave the true threat if a legit running game and seemed he got better as the game got later. The hammer in second half or needed to control the clock.

Assuming our intelligent ppl here don't need an explanation of the value of a running game.

Jones is a nice piece as a change of pace, situational player. But finally being healthy couldn't carry the team for the run game. The 4th quarter was wondering why we were throwing and abandoning the run and then found out Dillon was out due to rib injury.

Going back to beginning of this thread, this is where my thought comes back. With the game clearly on his shoulders and the great ones live for this challenge and believe they can will themselves and teams to a win, Rodgers once again came up short.
The problem here is that outside of Adams and Rodgers this team was not very talented on offense. Jones is nice fit but most of his yds come in chunks and he’s not real consistent. While I like what Dillon brings he’s not going to be Jon Taylor guy who can take it 80 yds, he’s a grind out guy. The WR like Lazard are pedestrian and we got little to no production out of the TE position.

If I may be a bit esoteric, the real MVP was commitment to the run game. ML goofed it by blowing up the OL group that had gotten into a good rhythm running the ball (Yosh to the bench, Patrick to RG, inserting Turner and Myers both coming off injury), and he goofed it by abandoning the run when Dillon got hurt. I don't know much about Patrick Taylor, but every time he touched the ball this year he ran with murderous intent, and we sure could've used some of that on a snowy cold field at Lambeau. ML has some of that MM thing where he seems unwilling to give guys opportunities until it's too late. Or maybe that issue has to do with the guy that ML and MM had in common at the QB position...?

The problem here is that outside of Adams and Rodgers this team was not very talented on offense. Jones is nice fit but most of his yds come in chunks and he’s not real consistent. While I like what Dillon brings he’s not going to be Jon Taylor guy who can take it 80 yds, he’s a grind out guy. The WR like Lazard are pedestrian and we got little to no production out of the TE position.
No, Dillon is not the guy who's gonna take it 80 yards. But in the cold, his size and physical play will take a toll more so than Jones running will - especially in the playoffs.

No, Dillon is not the guy who's gonna take it 80 yards. But in the cold, his size and physical play will take a toll more so than Jones running will - especially in the playoffs.
In certain situations yes but over 17 games he’s more of a complimentary guy. Could he have made a difference in the divisional game maybe but that’s not putting him in MVP conversation

Dillon might have been the "MVP" had he been able to go the entire game against the Niners, but that Niners defense is a tough group and not likely to be intimidated or worn down by Dillon. We'll never know.

The Favre discussion is interesting only in that it points out, to me anyway, that it's about the team. Favre got to the big game when he had arguably one of the most talented teams in history around him. Once the roster was depleted a bit, it got tougher. Both Favre and Rodgers played in 5 NFC championship games and each won a single Super Bowl though Favre won one more NFC championship and at least got them there a second time.

Both Favre and Rodgers made this team look better than it really was and covered a lot of warts with their singular talent. Packer fans will argue various points of this until we die, but ultimately there was always someone or something that let this team down at various points the past 3 decades and prevented the Packers from winning at least a couple more championships. Sometimes it was the QB, often it wasn't.

The most obvious ones in a Favre era were the decisions on the roster for the Super Bowl against Denver that let the Broncos wear out the d-line and let them run all over us, and the poor job Favre did in the cold against the Giants culminating in the ugly final pass in overtime.

For Rodgers it's the stupid implosion by the defense and special teams against the Seahawks that cost them another Super Bowl appearance along with Rodgers subpar play and ugly last throw against the Niners 10 days or so ago. (You could also argue that Kevin King alone cost them another trip last year, but that's a murkier discussion.)

For Rodgers it's the stupid implosion by the defense and special teams against the Seahawks that cost them another Super Bowl appearance along with Rodgers subpar play and ugly last throw against the Niners 10 days or so ago. (You could also argue that Kevin King alone cost them another trip last year, but that's a murkier discussion.)

Rodgers stunk against the Seahawks in 2014. 19 for 34, 178 yards, 1 TD 2 INT. Once again, if the MVP played anywhere near his MVP level, the game wouldn't have come down to ST.

Rodgers stunk against the Seahawks in 2014. 19 for 34, 178 yards, 1 TD 2 INT. Once again, if the MVP played anywhere near his MVP level, the game wouldn't have come down to ST.
He also played on one leg basically that day. Not an excuse but he had issues pushing off and moving in the pocket

He also played on one leg basically that day. Not an excuse but he had issues pushing off and moving in the pocket
He played on one leg for half that season. He was outstanding the week before against Dallas on one leg. No excuses. He fell back into hero ball mode, same as ever. It's a muscle memory for him, in times of stress I think he can't help it.

Back