The Sunset Years Of Aaron Rodgers

Many of you might not like it but I can almost guarantee you Mike and Ted are thinking crazy thoughts about Brett Hundley right now. It will depend on how he develops. If he regresses or plateaus this year then they start over but if next off-season comes and goes and it looks like he needs to play then all bets are off. You know that succession plan Murphy talked about? It ain't just about TT IMO.

I am thinking either in 2017 or 2018 you start sniffing the draft to see if you can groom a replacement. Odds are slim you find another HOF QB to replace the 2 before and if you get lucky you get an above average QB to come in here say a Andy Dalton or someone like that.

I am thinking either in 2017 or 2018 you start sniffing the draft to see if you can groom a replacement. Odds are slim you find another HOF QB to replace the 2 before and if you get lucky you get an above average QB to come in here say a Andy Dalton or someone like that.
There are 2 guys in 2017 that have a chance to be very good. Past that it's a mess

Is Hundley better than I thought yes. But he was a disaster coming out of UCLA. Still think his ceiling is a serviceable backup

I think we'll know more about Hundley and is ceiling after we see him play this summer. Evidently he has made nice strides this year.

These times are different than the Wolf era. With the mixed bag of QBs that are coming out of college what is the upside in drafting QBs every year? Just to keep cutting them and wasting the picks? I'd rather take one every 3 years, develop him to see what you have and maybe trade him if you can. Fill in the gaps with guys like Tolzien. If you see one as value every few years, grab one.

I just don't see the benefit of drafting one high at this point We have no idea when AR will quit. It was one thing when BF was talking retirement, but for all we know AR will play another 6-10 years, ala Tom B. To keep using 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd Rd picks to "guess" as to when you might need him and thus forego other needs doesn't seem like it will pay great dividends given that AR is only 32 right now. I'd start thinking about it when he gets to 36 or so, but not before. (Unless of course his play is clearly deteriorating severely or he openly indicates a desire to retire.)

Yes, it is optimum to have a guy get 2-3 years to learn, but there are also plenty of examples of guys who have started nearly from day 1 and done well. If you do want to force the guy to remain on the bench, then you sign a stop-gap guy for a couple of years.

what is the upside in drafting QBs every year? Just to keep cutting them and wasting the picks? ...

I just don't see the benefit of drafting one high at this point ... To keep using 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd Rd picks to "guess" as to when you might need him

i'm sorry if you thought i was talking about using any of our top three picks. i truly did not mean to imply that at all. the packers used a 5th round pick on hundley - which most pundits agreed was an excellent value. that's what i'm talking about. a 5th - 7th round pick.

i'm sorry if you thought i was talking about using any of our top three picks. i truly did not mean to imply that at all. the packers used a 5th round pick on hundley - which most pundits agreed was an excellent value. that's what i'm talking about. a 5th - 7th round pick.

I would look at Jake Coker as a 7th round or UDFA type guy to bring into camp. Let him sit on PS squad for a year and see if he can develop at all.

I would look at Jake Coker as a 7th round or UDFA type guy to bring into camp. Let him sit on PS squad for a year and see if he can develop at all.
Coker goes Rounds 5-6

Aaron wasn't a HoF QB when he was drafted either.
That's why Ted hired Mike.

Aaron wasn't a HoF QB when he was drafted either.
That's why Ted hired Mike.
But he was top 5 talent that slipped for really no good reason. Outside of medical or off the field issue I don't think you will see a player who was supposed ot go top 2 fall like that again.

Back