The Sunset Years Of Aaron Rodgers

Aaron wasn't a HoF QB when he was drafted either.
That's why Ted hired Mike.
McCarty was hired before Rodgers was drafted. As a matter of fact McCarthy was the OC in SF when they passed on Rodgers. No college qb is A HOF player when they are drafted. But fact is Rodgers ran a pro style offense at CAL. That's the exception not the rule with QB coming out now. The future QB pool is very limited. Development will take longer and more of a crap shoot.

I think we'll know more about Hundley and is ceiling after we see him play this summer. Evidently he has made nice strides this year.
I agree we need to see him in camp /pre season yr 2 before we really know enough. I believe if not then TT should be looking the 17/18 draft for the right guy and get him in place.

McCarty was hired before Rodgers was drafted. As a matter of fact McCarthy was the OC in SF when they passed on Rodgers. No college qb is A HOF player when they are drafted. But fact is Rodgers ran a pro style offense at CAL. That's the exception not the rule with QB coming out now. The future QB pool is very limited. Development will take longer and more of a crap shoot.
Jeff Tedford QBs did NOT have a good record of success in the NFL at that time. Aaron was the first. And btw, Sherman and Rosseley were not successfully developing him.

Jeff Tedford QBs did NOT have a good record of success in the NFL at that time. Aaron was the first. And btw, Sherman and Rosseley were not successfully developing him.

that's true. i remember all the articles talking about how poorly the tedford qbs had done in the nfl. and i also remember how aaron played in his first two years in training camp. it wasn't pretty. and he looked so fragile.

when mccarthy came to town, reportedly one of the first things he said to rodgers was "we didn't pick you. get over it."

Considering Craig Nall was the only QB drafted under Sherman I'm not sure you can judge how he developed QBS. As to Tedford QBS rhe only one that comes to mind is Boller. And no. McCarthy was not hired to develop Rodgers.

that's true. i remember all the articles talking about how poorly the tedford qbs had done in the nfl. and i also remember how aaron played in his first two years in training camp. it wasn't pretty. and he looked so fragile.

when mccarthy came to town, reportedly one of the first things he said to rodgers was "we didn't pick you. get over it."

Never really understood the agnst on Tedford. Very few if any NFL qbs are ready day 1 and don't need the coaching on a pro level. I think it's more important that the system is pro style. Perfect example Alex Smith. Boller was a average at best qb maybe below but his pro coach was supposed to be an offensive genius. Lot of factots to consider.

Considering Craig Nall was the only QB drafted under Sherman I'm not sure you can judge how he developed QBS. As to Tedford QBS rhe only one that comes to mind is Boller. And no. McCarthy was not hired to develop Rodgers.

a little surprised because usually your nfl knowledge is pretty complete.

i distinctly remember several articles similar to this one in 2005.

sample quote:

"Which begs the question of whether Tedford's latest prize pupil, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the likely choice of the San Francisco 49ers with the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, will be more productive than the five that preceded him into the league. That quintet – Trent Dilfer (Tampa Bay, 1994), Akili Smith (Cincinnati, 1999), David Carr (Houston, 2002), Joey Harrington (Detroit, 2002) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore, 2003) – has pretty much flopped both aggregately and individually."

i'm sorry if you thought i was talking about using any of our top three picks. i truly did not mean to imply that at all. the packers used a 5th round pick on hundley - which most pundits agreed was an excellent value. that's what i'm talking about. a 5th - 7th round pick.

I wasn't really referring to anyone but rather the concept hinted at a number of times in the thread - that we start looking for a replacement soon. Replacement generally assumes a rather high pick. Back-ups, like Hundley, are generally late round guys.

I have no problem with a late rounder every 2-3 years, but that's about it. Take them in back-to-back years and you just have a pair of inexperienced guys. For example, I would skip taking one this year or you have nobody with experience. If Tolzien bolts, sign a cheap veteran for a year.

a little surprised because usually your nfl knowledge is pretty complete.

i distinctly remember several articles similar to this one in 2005.

sample quote:

"Which begs the question of whether Tedford's latest prize pupil, California quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the likely choice of the San Francisco 49ers with the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, will be more productive than the five that preceded him into the league. That quintet – Trent Dilfer (Tampa Bay, 1994), Akili Smith (Cincinnati, 1999), David Carr (Houston, 2002), Joey Harrington (Detroit, 2002) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore, 2003) – has pretty much flopped both aggregately and individually."
I was only thinking of Cal qbs. Not where he was an assistant. I give Carr a pass his ol was pathetic. Dilfer had a decent nfl career. I can say the same of Joe Tiller or even Jimmy Johnson when they were college coaches. You still need coaching at the pro level. Your not ready on day 1

I wasn't really referring to anyone but rather the concept hinted at a number of times in the thread - that we start looking for a replacement soon. Replacement generally assumes a rather high pick. Back-ups, like Hundley, are generally late round guys.

I have no problem with a late rounder every 2-3 years, but that's about it. Take them in back-to-back years and you just have a pair of inexperienced guys. For example, I would skip taking one this year or you have nobody with experience. If Tolzien bolts, sign a cheap veteran for a year.
I don't disagree. But the pool is so poor if a guy is there you have to take him. Hell if Hackenburg is there in 3rd I'm very tempted

Back