UW Basketball 2021-2022

Badgers have had a nice run since the last post.

Was really impressed with their performance in the Maui Invitational. Played a couple of really solid, veteran type teams and came out on top. 3 games in 3 days with different game scenarios and they persevered. On top of that the re-tooling Badgers were clearly more ready yesterday than the re-tooling Golden Eagles. Gave me a lot of hope for the season. The Big-10 has some solid teams at the top and the season will be a grind. Assuming no major injuries Bucky seems like they could finish in the top-half and earn themselves a tournament bid.

In terms of the individual players there have been a couple of nice surprises. Jon Davis is clearly on another level this year. You could see hints of it last year, but he's gotten better and without a bunch of upperclassmen I think he's asserting himself more than last year. Davison looks more at ease this year on both ends of the court. Hopefully that continues. Crowl still has work to do but is pretty effective. Wahl is Wahl, solid and tough. Hepburn looks like the real deal and really solid if not spectacular on both ends of the courts. I expect great things of him if he stays all 4 years.

Their only real major lack is a bench. They have some "OK" guys coming off the bench, but nobody who can score or provide much spark. If Bowman can become a little more consistent on offense he could be that guy, and I suspect might start in place of Davison next season.

After that weird, tumultuous season last year, it is good to see Gard get the ship back on course. Sometimes it's addition by subtraction. Doesn't seem like they are really missing that senior class at all at this point. I'm not interested in re-hashing all that crap but that group along with Tucker clearly just needed to move on.

Badgers have had a nice run since the last post.

Was really impressed with their performance in the Maui Invitational. Played a couple of really solid, veteran type teams and came out on top. 3 games in 3 days with different game scenarios and they persevered. On top of that the re-tooling Badgers were clearly more ready yesterday than the re-tooling Golden Eagles. Gave me a lot of hope for the season. The Big-10 has some solid teams at the top and the season will be a grind. Assuming no major injuries Bucky seems like they could finish in the top-half and earn themselves a tournament bid.

In terms of the individual players there have been a couple of nice surprises. Jon Davis is clearly on another level this year. You could see hints of it last year, but he's gotten better and without a bunch of upperclassmen I think he's asserting himself more than last year. Davison looks more at ease this year on both ends of the court. Hopefully that continues. Crowl still has work to do but is pretty effective. Wahl is Wahl, solid and tough. Hepburn looks like the real deal and really solid if not spectacular on both ends of the courts. I expect great things of him if he stays all 4 years.

Their only real major lack is a bench. They have some "OK" guys coming off the bench, but nobody who can score or provide much spark. If Bowman can become a little more consistent on offense he could be that guy, and I suspect might start in place of Davison next season.

After that weird, tumultuous season last year, it is good to see Gard get the ship back on course. Sometimes it's addition by subtraction. Doesn't seem like they are really missing that senior class at all at this point. I'm not interested in re-hashing all that crap but that group along with Tucker clearly just needed to move on.
Good write up. Crowl also needs to add some bulk. I sense he’s going to struggle in conference play. I like Bowman. Has a lot of Trevon Hughes in him. Not as quick but a better scorer.

My only disappointment is Carlson. I get he’s a freshman based on court time but he looks lost at times on both ends

Down 20 to Indiana and come back and win. This team is tough as hell.

Busy working. Just saw the win. Didn't know they came back from 20 down. Holy cow

Most fun comeback in years. This team doesn't have the talent to be a contender for the B1G title, but they will outwork and "out-grit" some better teams this year and find ways to win more games than they should based purely on talent. It's sure looking like it's going to be a fun season.

It's the largest comeback in D-I this season, and matches the largest in Wisconsin history (also done on January 5, 1976 vs Ohio State)

Ugly loss today. They really never found their shooting touch as a team and were giving up some easy baskets and second chances to the Buckeyes today. Despite the poor defense at times, they weren't going to win with that point output today. They really needed a #3 offensive player today, but nobody stepped up. Vogt was OK, but Wahl (3pts), Hepburn (5pts) and Crowl (0pts) were mostly non-factors on the offensive end of the court. Just one of those days.

For the first time today Hepburn looked like a freshman, Crowl needs to bulk up, he’s going to struggle in conference play. I’m just waiting for Carlson to break out a bit. He is capable of giving quality points off the bench. Bowman out hurt a bit. There will be more days like this

Back