What Will Be The 2015 Packers Biggest Issues/Concerns ?

ReasonablySober

Reaction score
What do you see as the biggest problems on the Packers for the 2015 Season?

No doubt this is a top five team in the NFL by most people's account and expectations should be Super Bowl or bust. That said there are still some question marks on both sides of the ball as we are nearing September.

Offense:

LTWith the uncertain health of Bakhtari, the Packers need to look at the #1 backup spot at LT/RT. Protecting Aaron's blind side is imperative. Barclay has been worse then awful - not only in preseason games, but in practices. Some people have said undrafted rookie Josh Walker hasn't really embarrassed himself there, but to take on the best OLBs and DE's in the regular season seems like a super tall order.

I think they MUST look at vets that are available: Anthony Collins - Tampa Bay (released) had a rough 2014, but was good 2013. Jake Long - a 4 Time Pro Bowler - when he can go he is good, but he has dealt with constant knee injuries. The other thing to do is just wait for final cuts and pick the best out there.

TE- The Packers really have not been able to find a real good TE since Finley was in his prime. With the loss of Nelson this weakness could show itself more. I think Rodgers and Quarless have a ceiling which puts them a little below average among starting TEs in the NFL. You would definitely like to see the Packers improve the position, but it looks like they will have to rely more on the RBs catching the ball out of the backfield = more screen passes.

WR- Even though the Packers had the best depth in the NFL at WR- losing your #1 brings cause for concern. I might have more faith in the #3 and #4 WRs (before the Nelson injury) then most fans. I really think Adams and Montgomery will step up and along with Cobb will form a dynamic trio. I look for Adams to surpass the 1k yard mark along with Cobb and Montgomery to be top 5 in yards for rookie WRs. Janis and White are interesting prospects and will round out the top 5.

Defense:

ILB- They have to do much better against the run - I think Barrington and Ryan (Palmer/Bradford are 23 year olds who have showed flashes) are going to be an improvement over what they had last year.

OLB/Pass rush- If Ryan can step up and be just decent enough to plug the whole at ILB - then Mathews should remain at OLB because they really need his pass rush opposite Peppers. I don't think he will ever be the player he once was, but if he can be about 85%+ then that could be enough. I have been impressed with what I have seen from Elliott.

(NT)I have to admit to not following the latest on Raji, Guion, Pennel, etc - I don't think we have a better then average player that will stand out, but in this defense if they can just cause some disruption and plug the whole it should be fine.

(DE)In Daniels you have one side figured out. Jones needs to stay healthy and play like the player the Packers thought he could be when they drafted him in the first round. Boyd and Gaston are OK. You don't need Reggie White or Bruce Smith in this defense, but you need some improvement opposite Daniels.

Overall the interior of the D-LIne has to do a better job against the run.

(**)D-Backfield- It looks like they have turned a weakness into a possible strength. I stress the word "possible" because we have yet to see Rollins, Randall, and Gunter in a regular season game. All three of these players have showed something in practice and the preseason games. It's very early, but I am extremely enthusiastic and bullish on these three.

The ILB position once again is a weakness. It's better than last year because of no Hawk/Jones but we still can't cover the middle of the field unless #52 is playing exclusively there and we want him to rush the passer from different angles.

Our options are limited but we should try Sean Richardson as the dime ILB as has been mentioned here and other places.

The backup LT position is also the big problem that's looming if Bakhtiari can't go. I really don't want Bulaga at LT because he tore his knee up there after making the switch.. I want him comfortable and at his best - that is at RT.

The WR core is an issue with Cobb hurt... I don't have any faith in Montgomery and Janis running the correct routes. #12 is going to have a lot of heated moments as I think he throws more INTs because these WRs won't be able to get open.

Also, the lack of offensive creativity will hold the team back. Clements should center the offense on the running game and balancing it out but I fear he will be like MM and fall in love with passing the rock too much.

Dom Capers also can't be trusted but then again.. aside from the secondary and a couple guys on the front 7, he doesn't have much to work with at LB and DL. That's TT's fault for having horrible drafts on the DL and LB corps.

Health, like 2013, is the biggest concern.

My concerns

1. Health

2. The defense all across the front seven

3. Special Teams are still a joke.

The ILB position once again is a weakness. It's better than last year because of no Hawk/Jones but we still can't cover the middle of the field unless #52 is playing exclusively there and we want him to rush the passer from different angles.

Our options are limited but we should try Sean Richardson as the dime ILB as has been mentioned here and other places.

The backup LT position is also the big problem that's looming if Bakhtiari can't go. I really don't want Bulaga at LT because he tore his knee up there after making the switch.. I want him comfortable and at his best - that is at RT.

The WR core is an issue with Cobb hurt... I don't have any faith in Montgomery and Janis running the correct routes. #12 is going to have a lot of heated moments as I think he throws more INTs because these WRs won't be able to get open.

Also, the lack of offensive creativity will hold the team back. Clements should center the offense on the running game and balancing it out but I fear he will be like MM and fall in love with passing the rock too much.

Dom Capers also can't be trusted but then again.. aside from the secondary and a couple guys on the front 7, he doesn't have much to work with at LB and DL. That's TT's fault for having horrible drafts on the DL and LB corps.

Health, like 2013, is the biggest concern.

I've been a fan of trying Sean Richardson as the dime ILB but his play Saturday scared me. He showed some garbage out there that's given me second thoughts.

1) Special Teams- You saw the Eagles game
2) Defensive Line- Just a bunch of guys that take up space except for Daniels, IMO.
3) ILB- I was worried before but now after seeing Barrington get shelled against the pass on Saturday, I am even more worried.

My Biggest Concern : Toughness

Agree. I'm hoping the Eagles game was more of a Jordy-Cobb hangover. After losing Jordy, to come out and lose Cobb on the third play.....?
It seemed like we had a WTF attitude. Haven't seen much emotion on the field. I don't need a bunch of rah rah guys, but how about a little something for the effort?

DL is so pedestrian! LT is paperthin. No ILBers that I've noticed yet. (Barrington is disappointing, a lot of talk-not much production)

WR doesn't worry me yet. I think ARod makes people around him better and we have some young talent. Cobb-Adams-Monty are nothing to sneeze at. Yes, depth hurts, but whose doesn't when you lose your #1?

Honestly, the front 7 as a whole worries me. Assuming Clay plays inside most downs, I'm not sure we have enough guys that bring pass rush. Not sold that Peppers has another year in him. Both Neal and Perry are more meant to be rotational guys, IMO. Barrington is purely a run stopper. Datone Jones has shown almost nothing. Getting to the QB is going to be a major concern

Honestly, the front 7 as a whole worries me. Assuming Clay plays inside most downs, I'm not sure we have enough guys that bring pass rush. Not sold that Peppers has another year in him. Both Neal and Perry are more meant to be rotational guys, IMO. Barrington is purely a run stopper. Datone Jones has shown almost nothing. Getting to the QB is going to be a major concern

Our pass rush last year wasn't all that bad. ILB is more a concern IMO along with ST.

Back