With their 5th pick in the 2021 Draft GB selects Ole Miss OT Royce Newman

Might be a project, but might be able to contribute something right away - kinda like Runyan last year. Might be able to get some snaps in small doses. Hopefully they have enough healthy guys with experience to take almost all the snaps this season. I agree that Stenovich might be able to make him serviceable from the get-go.

Be interesting to see what they do with Newman going forward. Seems like they focused him on OG in rookie camp but I'm not sure what that means. I'd want to take a look at him at RT first but maybe that happens in camp. If not then I don't get the draft strategy of the past 2 off-seasons.

Basically they seem to have drafted 3 inside guys in 2020 and now, 3 more inside guys in 2021. Too much emphasis on one area and wasting of picks if they can't get at least 1 guy to play outside. I'll withhold final judgement until we get into camp. Maybe one of those 6 picks gets it done at OT.

Be interesting to see what they do with Newman going forward. Seems like they focused him on OG in rookie camp but I'm not sure what that means. I'd want to take a look at him at RT first but maybe that happens in camp. If not then I don't get the draft strategy of the past 2 off-seasons.

Basically they seem to have drafted 3 inside guys in 2020 and now, 3 more inside guys in 2021. Too much emphasis on one area and wasting of picks if they can't get at least 1 guy to play outside. I'll withhold final judgement until we get into camp. Maybe one of those 6 picks gets it done at OT.
I think at best he would be a backup tackle. I am not trusting a 5th round OT to start at RT. I think it's more likley you see Jenkins at RT and Patrick/Myers battle for the OC job and then that leave the battle for the guard spots.

I think week 1 the OL could look like LT Turner LG Patrick OC Myers RG Runyan RT Jenkins.

Nijman and Newman the backup tackles leaving 1-2 spots to fight among Braden, Johnson, Stepaniak, Jensen, Van Lanen, Capra, Cronk, Ditzen to fight over.

I am not trusting a 5th round OT to start at RT.

well, i've already mentioned this on page 1, but the title of this thread is wrong. newan was the 4th round pick, not the 5th. the packers have had good success finding starting ol in the 4th round, but it usually takes some time to develop them. i agree with your overall scenario - jenkins will most likely start the season at rt, with turner at lt, and myers or patrick at center. god help our qb (whoever that is).

I'm not trusting Newman to start at RT week 1 either. I'd like to see if he can be developed there to at least serve as depth and eventually maybe start in a year or two.
Like rb I want them to at least try and see if maybe they got value in that pick. Maybe they get lucky again.

If all you do is work him at OG it's hard to have him even be a depth option at OT.

Agree that Jenkins and Turner are the likely OTs to start week 1. You should be able to find 3 competent inside guys among Patrick, Myers, Runyan, Stepaniak, and Van Lanen.

First day of voluntary OTA's and the o-line starters were:

Jenkins - LT, Runyan - LG, Myers - C, Patrick -RG, Turner - RT.

Sounds like Newman was getting snaps at RG but no mention if he was also working at another spot.

First day of voluntary OTA's and the o-line starters were:

Jenkins - LT, Runyan - LG, Myers - C, Patrick -RG, Turner - RT.

Sounds like Newman was getting snaps at RG but no mention if he was also working at another spot.
I can get behind that starting 5.

wow. jenkins at left tackle? impressive. definitely one of the best gute draft picks so far.

wow. jenkins at left tackle? impressive. definitely one of the best gute draft picks so far.
Yeah I know. That's why when people say Packers screwed up and should have drafted Metcalf I say well you would have then not got Jenkins had they done that they don't have a answer unless it's to say well they should have taken Metcalf in the 1st round then.

I think we’ll know very quickly if he can contribute early or not. No one planned on Bakhtiari starting when he did but immediately in one on ones in camp that year he just kept winning his reps. Have to see what Newman can do. If he looks competent early, I would give him a look at RT.

Back