With their first pick in the 2023 draft GB selects Lukas Van Ness Iowa

GB has to stop This habit of high picks not getting to second and third contracts. It’s part of the reason this team has no on field leadership.
No argument, but, remember, they did that with Rodgers and Bakh, and that's why they're in cap hell now. They put too many of their eggs in two baskets, and now they have to pay the price, to clear that dead money off the books.

GB has to stop This habit of high picks not getting to second and third contracts. It’s part of the reason this team has no on field leadership.
Who in the world gave any indication that Gary wasn't getting a second contract?

No argument, but, remember, they did that with Rodgers and Bakh, and that's why they're in cap hell now. They put too many of their eggs in two baskets, and now they have to pay the price, to clear that dead money off the books.
A QB is always the exception. In Bakhtiari's case it was actually his THIRD contract that did them in. TT had a rule about no 3rd contracts except for the QB and I think Gute would be wise to follow that.

There's barely enough of a track record with Gute to know how he'll handle second contracts for his own high picks. His first draft pick just got one - Jaire. His second pick, Josh Jackson, was bad and didn't deserve one. Elgton Jenkins has been solid and got a second contract.

From the previous regime, he extended Kenny Clark and Davante Adams because they deserved one. The rest of TT's top picks in the years leading up to Gute taking over mostly sucked so not all that much history.

I think he'll extend Gary and Love. Maybe a modest deal to AJ Dillon. Likely to pass on Savage. Too early to say on most of the others. Stokes injury leaves him a question mark and Josh Myers looks like a pass (Creed Humphrey would be another story - ugh!) but both of them still have some time to earn 2nd deals.

The third contract for Bahk may have been as much to placate his whiny starting QB as anything else - a mistake he hopefully won't repeat with a younger QB taking the reins.

The other important thing about drafting Van Ness is that he really seems like the kind of player who won't assault the other team's medical staff on the field, and GB needs that in their 1st round picks going forward.

Who in the world gave any indication that Gary wasn't getting a second contract?
I didn't say they won't give him a new contract. I am indicating that they might be a little skeptical about putting too much money into him. After getting burned with Bakh, and Rodgers.

In all honesty, trading him and getting an early first round pick would be an enormous assist for the 2024 draft. But, I would not work on a trade until the end of the 2023 season, when you could slap the franchise tag on him, or suggest they will, if necessary, to put him in a negotiating mood.

It's just a "what if....."

In the first 2 rounds, the Pack needs and needed to have been drafting immediate impact players who would walk in and beat out anybody - including good veterans - for the starting job.

The Pack is always looking down the road, which is how we've gotten here and why we went to 1 Superbowl with Rodgers. We're always planning for a couple of years down the road. We wasted Rodgers best years. It was not about getting talent for him. It was about getting game ready now players for the Pack.

Now, we don't have Rodgers. We have the unknown. And, the projects we drafted for Rodgers haven't gotten to the 'potential - possibility - of their draft status.

Unless your team is absolutely loaded, 1st and 2d round picks should be immediate impact players. Projects are for later rounds.

Screw Gute.

Go Pack Go! The Pack will Be Back!

Back