With Their Pick In Round 3 GB Selects Josiah Deguara TE Cincinnati

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Name pronounced DUH-gwah-ruh.

• First-Team All-American Athletic Conference.
• Participated in the 2020 Senior Bowl and NFL Combine.
• Team captain capped one of the best seasons for a tight end in school history, leading the team with 39 receptions for 504 yards and seven TDs.
• Averaged almost 13 yards per catch (12.9) and became only the second tight end in UC history to eclipse 1,000-yards receiving for his career (1,117) along with Brent Celek (1,135).
• His 92 career receptions is the most in school history for a tight end and he’s just the second tight end in school history with 500 or more yards receiving in a season, along with Travis Kelce who tallied 722 yards in 2012.
• Took part in the NCAA Career in Sport Forum (STORY)

• Earned Second-Team All-AAC honors in 2018.
• UC’s second-leading receiver on the year with 38 receptions for 468 yards and five touchdowns. Those numbers are the best for a UC tight end since Travis Kelce finished with 45 receptions for 722 yards and 8 TDs in 2012.
• Entered the season with 15 catches for 145 yards and no scores. He had a career-best 112-yard day with a TD at UConn, had a reception in every game and caught three or more balls in seven games.

• Saw action in seven games ... had 11 catches for 98 yards ... caught his first two balls of the season at Miami (OH) ... added a 14-yard grab at Navy ... set career marks with four catches for 30 yards against Marshall ... had a season-long 28-yard snag vs. UCF ... caught three balls for 17 yards at USF.

• Played in all 12 games, mostly on special teams and as a reserve tight end.
• Finished with four receptions for 47 yards.
• Had a season-best 28-yard grab against Houston.
• Tallied a pair of catches for 15 yards in the season finale at Tulsa.

• Redshirted.

PRIOR TO UC
• Former two-star tallied 240 receptions for 3,274 yards and 42 touchdowns as a prep, including 114 receptions for 1,671 yards and 24 scores as a senior.
• Earned MaxPreps California Division I All-State Football Team honors at TE and grabbed Sacramento Bee First-Team All-Metro honors as a hybrid back in 2014.
• Bulldogs went 30-1 over the 2013-14 campaigns, won the CIF State Division I Championship in 2014 and took home three-straight San Joaquin Section Division 2 Championships.

Related Content

There is no related content available.
Related Headlines
Related Press Clips
Related Videos

Related Photos
Statistics
Season:

Historical Player Information

Strengths
Takes run-blocking duties to heart
Good angles up to second level and squares his target
Finds his block fit and sustains with balance and footwork
Counted on to help seal the edge in run game
Basketball feel and fluidity in his route breaks
Stems defenders out of place with sharp head fakes
Monitors safeties and surveys spacing against zone
Races to soft spots and demands the football
Catches what is thrown at him and rarely has focus drop

Weaknesses
Inconsistent hand placement at point of attack
Gets grabby outside of the frame to finish
Needs better pad level to create point of leverage
May not have speed to consistently threaten the seam
Has a little too much sauce in his routes
Could struggle to separate against NFL man coverage
Rigid in his body adjustments to throws outside the frame
Lacks creativity after the catch and tends to bull forward

How NFL.com talks him up he could be a FB more then a TE

Defending Love was easy compared to this. Liked Dillon, just not in the 2nd. I got nuthin' on our 3rd rounder.
DejaVu to when they drafted Richard Rodgers, seemed to come out of the blue. Ouch.

Maybe closer to Quarless than RR.

High floor. Solid blocker. Matt values that. Important to the offense. Another guy who will need a redshirt season.

I think he was drafted as a blocking tight end, who can catch the ball if you get it to him, when he happens to get open. I was wondering if we were going to look at TE before the draft, but didn't think they'd invest in someone until real late. There were so many needs out there, and at this point, this is another pick that quite frankly does not help plug any holes that seem to be out there.

Oh well! Might as well enjoy the ride.

He’s going to be an H-Back/FB. He will be GB’s version of SF’s Kyle Jusczyk.
He’s a good blocker in space/on the move and will be a sneaky receiving option.

drafting him and Dillion marks a monumental shift in offensive philosophy going forward.

prediction: Packers will not draft a WR

I mocked Deguara, but in Rd 6. There just wasn't anything really special about him. Not fast, but not slow. Not real tall. Not a real big catch radius. Can block but even if he was a great blocker, that alone usually wouldn't get you drafted in Rd 3. Seemed like a nice depth guy. Just doesn't seem like a great use of a Rd 3 pick. Hope I'm really wrong.

Defending Love was easy compared to this. Liked Dillon, just not in the 2nd. I got nuthin' on our 3rd rounder.
DejaVu to when they drafted Richard Rodgers, seemed to come out of the blue. Ouch.

nfl.com had him rated as a sixth round pick. he was #210 on drafttek's big board. wlter football had him slotted in rounds 5-7. i could go on, but you get the point. a ridiculous waste of a third round pick.

gute is an idiot.

Back