2024 Draft Thread

I got on Bill Hubers ass this morning about this and I'll stand pat here, GB history of drafting DB isn't stellar, it's not all about measurables. I've heard bitching for over a decade or more about underperforming defense...fire the DC!! Well we keep bringing in different guys same result and still, I hear " Damn coaching"

* We have passed on a lot of all-pro talent through the years... a ton.

How about your acquiring talent that's not performing up to the hype? The point is that you can't teach instincts and vision, if GB is going solely off measurables then it would explain a lot. Gute screws this draft up he should get axed along with scouting...he won't but he should.

yes i stand corrected, Savage was under 9 as well. But still, upper echelon guys athletically seems to be their thing in rd 1.
Yeah though is there a RAS breakdown by position?

I got on Bill Hubers ass this morning about this and I'll stand pat here, GB history of drafting DB isn't stellar, it's not all about measurables. I've heard bitching for over a decade or more about underperforming defense...fire the DC!! Well we keep bringing in different guys same result and still, I hear " Damn coaching"

* We have passed on a lot of all-pro talent through the years... a ton.

How about your acquiring talent that's not performing up to the hype? The point is that you can't teach instincts and vision, if GB is going solely off measurables then it would explain a lot. Gute screws this draft up he should get axed along with scouting...he won't but he should.
100% TRUE, Gute did well last year but he's had some awful years. Both TT and Gute seem to have a type but it has rarely equated to working out on defense, very hit and miss.

I think athleticism is important up to a point. I'm not super worried about Kinchens though I think the Packers might be. Ignoring the speed and athletic testing has hurt them in not taking guys they should have, but also has burned them when they've ignored the numbers. Amari Rodgers, Josh Jackson and Quentin Rollins are a few examples. I'm sure this keeps GM's and personnel people up at night.

That said I'm not going to say Kinchens lack of speed doesn't bother me at all. You just have to be convinced that all the other stuff he does well makes up for not having top end speed. I'll be reading up more on him from people who know better than me (like Mark) to try and get a better feel for him.

RAS is a nice way to put a simple number to things and it doesn't say it all. Reed is a nice example. His RAS was low because he was regarded as being undersized. He actually ran a 4.45 which is a very solid time.

trying to use RAS and this other stuff is straight vodoo GBP4, every FB team has an almost set board right now. All this stat stuff is fun and all but it hardly ever pans out on draft day because it doesn't factor in the board and who goes ahead of you etc.
I have a hard time believing that Brian Branch would’ve fell into the mid second round last year if he ran a 4.4-something rather than a 4.58. I also don’t know if Jordan Davis goes top-15 the year before without the stellar combine workout. It means something.

I find it interesting that Gutes shied away on the usual 'Packer Measureables' last year on a couple of choices - Karl Brooks & Jayden Reed - and hit big on both. Will this trend continue?
He also shied away from them when he picked Josh Myers over Creed Humphrey and bit the team in the ass

Back