Aaron Rodgers not consulted on Packers' QB coaching change

Criticism is fine, but there is little constructive criticism from what I've read.

bingo! what exactlyis constructive about calling someone a dick or a prick or a prima donna or any of the other terms used around here? nothing.

Hate to admit it in here, but I like Rodger's sense of humor. It's dry. I don't find him arrogant (or Arrongant), but just rather plain speaking. His politics and mine are on opposite sides of the pole, but who cares. He's one talented SOB, and I'm glad he's here.

i also love his sense of humor. and i agree that people blow every little comment he makes way out of proportion. they put their own spin on it. they "read between the lines" based on their preconceived notions.

And had 2 SB to show for it ???

that's not on rodgers.

How many of you that are bashing Rodgers listened to the interview? He did a 12 minute interview with lots of good stuff. He answered a direct question if he found anything curious in the offseason moves. His answer in no way sounded like he was miffed. He sounded confused. It was less than 30 seconds of a 12 minute interview. Players build a relationship with their position coaches and he obviously had a good relationship with AVP. The only questionable thing he said was they made the move without consulting him. Maybe they have consulted him with past moves. Maybe they asked him before giving AVP the QB coach position which if that happened it would only seem right that they would talk to him before they got rid of AVP. Bottom line is none if it matters and all the speculation that he is miffed and may want to leave is just that, speculation.

I thought the most interesting thing Rodgers said in the interview was they are not that far away from being Championship caliber and that they need to get back to playing championship defense. He is happy with the coordinator moves and he is ready to get at it.

If you would like to listen to the interview it can be found here: http://host.madison.com/listen-aaro...dio_16af264b-2d42-56f6-8e23-3e273a6f8138.html

The questionable content happens around the 8 minute mark but the whole conversation was good and he never sounded angry or arrogant.

IT's not too hard to guess what happened. Van Pelt wanted to be an OC, so he let the Packers know he was going to let his contract expire. Rodgers and everyone else knew this. Probably Van Pelt and maybe Rodgers had some expectation that Van Pelt would be hired by the Packers as OC (or at least interview) at some point. When Bennett was let go, and Van Pelt wasn't interviewed, that was the end of the relationship.

I note that Van Pelt didn't get hired as OC by anyone, so make of that what you will. Packers probably should have told Rodgers, but I'm guessing he'd be disappointed for (what looks like) his friend in any case, unless they'd hired him as OC. But Packers and Van Pelt letting the contract expire (assume this was mutual) meant that he either got a promotion or he's gone. Rodgers will get over it. He should be smart enough to have seen the writing on the wall - He can't be naive enough to think that Van Pelt would stay without being promoted. Why would they need to talk to Rodgers and explain anything if Rodgers knew Van Pelt's contract wasn't being renewed? Maybe, like Favre, his best friend as he gets to be the oldest guy on the team will be some equipment guy.

Cignetti's recent coaching resume (Giants) isn't impressive either-wonder if he's from the Pittsburgh area?!?!

born in pittsburgh and was the oc for the pitt panthers. but then you already knew that.

IT's not too hard to guess what happened. Van Pelt wanted to be an OC, so he let the Packers know he was going to let his contract expire. Rodgers and everyone else knew this. Probably Van Pelt and maybe Rodgers had some expectation that Van Pelt would be hired by the Packers as OC (or at least interview) at some point. When Bennett was let go, and Van Pelt wasn't interviewed, that was the end of the relationship.

I note that Van Pelt didn't get hired as OC by anyone, so make of that what you will. Packers probably should have told Rodgers, but I'm guessing he'd be disappointed for (what looks like) his friend in any case, unless they'd hired him as OC. But Packers and Van Pelt letting the contract expire (assume this was mutual) meant that he either got a promotion or he's gone. Rodgers will get over it. He should be smart enough to have seen the writing on the wall - He can't be naive enough to think that Van Pelt would stay without being promoted. Why would they need to talk to Rodgers and explain anything if Rodgers knew Van Pelt's contract wasn't being renewed? Maybe, like Favre, his best friend as he gets to be the oldest guy on the team will be some equipment guy.

Van Pelt's timing wasn't real good here. The Packers season went south because Rodgers got hurt and his replacement was a train wreck. Maybe not all his fault, but not a feather in his cap for the quarterbacks coach either.

Criticism is fine, but there is little constructive criticism from what I've read.
bingo! what exactly is constructive about calling someone a dick or a prick or a prima donna or any of the other terms used around here? nothing.

With all due respect, it's a sports forum first and foremost. One of the reasons we were all drawn here is because we didn't have to worry about the " proper etiquette " unlike so many other places. As for Rodgers he's in a position that regardless what he says it will be scrutinized for it. That's just the way things are in pro sports now. tc(

1. I really dont care if ppl think rodgers is a dick or anything else. Im sure he doesnt care either. Most top qbs or top players overall are arrogant. I want that in competitors. This "packer" ppl talk always made me laugh. Wtf does that mean??
  2. Lets just win and fix this d. Way to much is being read into this little clip. Im just ready for free agency and the combine to get onto more important things

I look at this as GB learned something from the (4) years. Can't let AR dictate everything. As good as he is, and I love the guy...he shouldn't run the program.

With that said, AVP wasn't much of a QB coach. Rodgers can "like" Van Pelt all he wants but after what happened with Hundley, how can you keep him? Van Pelt has been Hundley's QB coach for three years and we saw that Hundley was just not prepared to be a starter. That's just not good enough.

I look at this as GB learned something from the (4) years. Can't let AR dictate everything. As good as he is, and I love the guy...he shouldn't run the program.

With that said, AVP wasn't much of a QB coach. Rodgers can "like" Van Pelt all he wants but after what happened with Hundley, how can you keep him? Van Pelt has been Hundley's QB coach for three years and we saw that Hundley was just not prepared to be a starter. That's just not good enough.

That and also hundley juat shouldnt be in the league and the packers shoild have addressed this

I see Rodgers response as much ado about nothing................

Jason Wilde

@jasonjwilde
Alex Van Pelt did not sign an extension before the 2017 season because he wanted to be able to pursue a coordinator job. Mike McCarthy has historically blocked position coaches from coordinator interviews if under contract. Ben McAdoo did same thing after being blocked.
9:20 AM - Feb 1, 2018
5 5 Replies 15 15 Retweets 43 43 likes

AR had to know a long time ago that AVP would be leaving if he didn't get bumped up the coaching ladder in GB.

Back