Battle for Packers' 5th receiver spot heating up

so there you go - he's at least a three-trick pony. i'll just let you guys have the last say. now that it seems that everyone is jumping on the "disagree" and "dislike" buttons it's getting a bit too ugly for me. we will just have to wait and see. by the way, i do want to make one thing clear - at no point have i ever tried to insinuate that i think jeff janis will be an all-pro this season. nor do i think the 5th wide receiver on our team (whoever it may be) will have any kind of major impact. don't want people to think i'm some sort of jaff janis groupie. i'm just saying that it is my opinion that he is currently the fifth best receiver on our team.

Hell that's what I said 2 pages ago ... he's the # 5 WR right now. All if it is subject to change of course.

so there you go - he's at least a three-trick pony. i'll just let you guys have the last say. now that it seems that everyone is jumping on the "disagree" and "dislike" buttons it's getting a bit too ugly for me. we will just have to wait and see. by the way, i do want to make one thing clear - at no point have i ever tried to insinuate that i think jeff janis will be an all-pro this season. nor do i think the 5th wide receiver on our team (whoever it may be) will have any kind of major impact. don't want people to think i'm some sort of jaff janis groupie. i'm just saying that it is my opinion that he is currently the fifth best receiver on our team.

That is what happens when you dont agree or have a different opinion from the masses........

One thing about packer fans we sure our a passionate bunch. Nice little debate here. I think it took Driver 2-3 years to get the swing of it. Janis most likely needs a year after reading his coach's opinion. But Mark hit in when he talked about White no one behind Janis other then White has a shot right now.

Abby is a guy we all wanted to pan out but just can't see it. Packers could IR him and give the kid a break. Year to rethink things if you will out of respect for the hometown fans maybe ?

That is what happens when you dont agree or have a different opinion from the masses........
Interesting, I have been told, I March to the beat of a different drummer. Yep I March to the beat of my drummer. I have freedom of thought, it is logical to me. I also will listen, to someone else's argument. Most of the time I fine my logic sound. I generally, am never influenced by the masses. Lemmings follow the masses and look where it gets them!

The NFL is the preferred spectator sport of the masses in this country. The Packers are the preferred topic of discussion of the masses here. Pretty sure the masses are happy with Rodgers at QB. Feel free to avoid those influences.

Last edited:
Wow. Look at everyone with their judgy pants on! Really? The thread is about our 5th WR spot and people and sheeple alike are riding their dislike buttons? I would have thought this site was just a little above that.

Have usually appreciated the DISCUSSION on different topics. Between Janis and White I would believe size and STs abilities would tip the scale in favor of Janis right now. Both are inconsistent and that's why they are in competition for the 5th spot, not 3-4! IMO.

Agree, awfully testy discussion considering we are talking about the #5 receiver battle. With Abby likely out of contention at this point, it does come down to White and Janis. I'm on the Janis side because of the measurables. Yes, he's a work in progress but we are talking about the #5 guy who is often inactive on game day.

Janis has improved and there is something to be said for a guy who can force the defense to play "off" on the outside, or force safety help against some teams because the CB cannot stay with him. It forces the defense to make adjustments and compromise themselves. That's why I see if I can develope him even though he's not enough of a consistent threat right now.

White is a nice reciever who lacks strength and seems to lack focus at times during games. If I was looking for a safe choice who can run the whole route tree then I'd take him over Janis, but given that the #5 is not going to be a big part of the gameplan, I go with the physical talent.

I do kind of agree with another poster on Driver. Another physical freak who took a few years to make his mark.

Interesting, I have been told, I March to the beat of a different drummer. Yep I March to the beat of my drummer. I have freedom of thought, it is logical to me. I also will listen, to someone else's argument. Most of the time I fine my logic sound. I generally, am never influenced by the masses. Lemmings follow the masses and look where it gets them!

I saw a t-shirt the other day that read: 'Be Careful When You Follow the Masses...Because Sometimes the 'M' is Silent!' Has nothing to do with this discussion, but pretty funny imho.

BTW, I'll take Janis for the measurables and incredible potential. Potential is okay...for the 5th WR spot. Good comparison using Driver as an example. Don't give up on the kid too quick. He played in a small, small division in college. The patience could pay HUGE dividends.

I don't know if either has that great potential. Janis is very fast but I don't know that he's sudden. NFL is a quick twitch game, for WR's you need to make fast moves in small spaces, you need to stop and accelerate and adjust, explode out of your breaks. I've seen Driver's name here a couple times - Donald Driver could do the electric slide standing in a cardboard box, he had Mohammad Ali feet. So give Janis a free or weak release and he will blow right by you, but most of the time you need to work yourself or sell yourself open at the pro level and I don't think we've seen him do that yet.

White gets targeted more because he's getting himself open more but he's had some bad drops in games - what can you do with that? He's a bubble player who just isn't stepping up when he needs to. Don't know if he's small, but seems slight of build. Really don't see that high of a ceiling for him.

It's kind of a pick 'em for me - Ty Montgomery is a nice upgrade at #4 WR compared to Boykin and figures to be active every game, and that #5 spot (and #6 if they keep another) is highly unlikely to be activated on game days regardless. tc(

Just need to add 2 quick comments because it needs to be addressed. The rating system is just that a way for members to rate posts... good /bad/ugly. Some folks got butt hurt about that and I am sorry that you feel that way but it is what it is.

And while a few of you addressed concerns today about the tone in this thread... a heated debate between 2 parties on any subject is what a forum is all about. As long as it's not made personal ... and stays on the topic. Carry on hof(

Back