Is The Packers OL Better?

George Cumby

Reaction score
Is Bakhtiari back or is his knee shot?
Will Jenkins make it back around mid season and will he be the same player?
Will Newman make a big second year jump?
Will Meyers make a big second year jump?
How good is Sean Rhyan?
How good is Zach Tom?

Runyan and Nijman are the only two without major question marks. Runyan is a solid player and Nijman is an average player. So we have a couple OK pieces.

This could be a disaster if things dont fall the way we hope.

Or it could be a real strength if everything falls into place the way we hope.

Or it could fall somewhere in between.

It will be interesting to watch it play out.

Is Bakhtiari back or is his knee shot?
Will Jenkins make it back around mid season and will he be the same player?
Will Newman make a big second year jump?
Will Meyers make a big second year jump?
How good is Sean Rhyan?
How good is Zach Tom?

Runyan and Nijman are the only two without major question marks. Runyan is a solid player and Nijman is an average player. So we have a couple OK pieces.

This could be a disaster if things dont fall the way we hope.

Or it could be a real strength if everything falls into place the way we hope.

Or it could fall somewhere in between.

It will be interesting to watch it play out.
Lets say about half the things go our way.

Bak is done for but Jenkins makes it back to 100%
Meyers takes a big jump but Newman doesn't.
Rhyan is a legit player but Tom is too light

The beginning of our year would be

Nijman (average)
Runyan (decent)
Meyers (taking a big jump forward)
Newman (being below average)
Rhyan (a rookie)

And Jenkins would replace Rhyan half way through. Possibly Rhyan could take over for the struggling Newman.

This is a legit possibility with all the question marks we have and about half of them going our way. If something like this happened and our receivers are mediocre, we might struggle mightily on offense.

They should be better, but there are still tons of questions. If Bakhtiari is back, they can probably put Nijman at RT until Jenkins is ready. But if neither Bakh or Jenkins are back at the start of the season, then Nijman probably has to start at LT. In that scenario, RT is a huge question mark. Van Lanen, Rhyan, Tom and maybe even Newman would get a look at RT.

They should be better, but there are still tons of questions. If Bakhtiari is back, they can probably put Nijman at RT until Jenkins is ready. But if neither Bakh or Jenkins are back at the start of the season, then Nijman probably has to start at LT. In that scenario, RT is a huge question mark. Van Lanen, Rhyan, Tom and maybe even Newman would get a look at RT.
There's even been some discussion, from what I've heard, that Van Lanen could end up at LT at the start of the season. Lots of questions here on health, and rightfully so. One thing I do know. When they get healthy, along with Tonyan, the offense could kick it up a notch. On defense, Z. Smith & Alexander will be a great help.

I'm anxious to see how it all plays out.

EDIT: My bad! Z. Smith is no longer with the Packers. Scratch his name. Sorry!

Last edited:
Lots of opinions from various quarters as to who lines up and where they line up.
They did a little musical chairs during OTA’s and mini-camps to try and get an inkling about who/where.
I only can go by what I’ve read at various places, but I’m hopeful there is enough athletic talent amongst the OL and the coaching staff that they can make this work even if they have to wait a bit on Jenkins and Bak.

I like all these rookies. I bet two of them will be able to play LT. I bet Van Lanen is gonna be a player too. LT is the only position I'm worried about.

Then again I like Newman and Meyers, so I'm not too stressed.

Take every OL combo you've seen in OTAs etc with a huge grain of salt. If Van Lanen makes the team it will be as an interior player or not at all.

OL depth is shakey relying on rookies and 2nd year guys to step up. They do great if not you have trouble

I remember when people said Bakh should be cut, because his footwork sucked.

But that was a while back, wasn't it? I'm not saying that Val Lanen is the answer to replacing Bakh, but I am saying there's a reason they've considered penciling him in at LT, and a back up in the interior after Bakh gets back? I dunno.

Back