Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

Not a surprise. All the CAP gurus have told us they needed to find CAP space no matter which way the AR domino falls. This was probably an easy first step. There'll likely be a few more of these in the coming weeks.
I think it's a bit of a sign that they are going to bring the band back for another year, it's been their MO for 3 years now, I had thought Rodgers might retire but now I expect him to announce he is playing next season and GB won't move him. tc(

I think it's a bit of a sign that they are going to bring the band back for another year, it's been their MO for 3 years now, I had thought Rodgers might retire but now I expect him to announce he is playing next season and GB won't move him. tc(
I agree with this, seems like the most feasible scenario with our front office.

If Rodgers is back. Love should and will ask for a trade. I can't see GB giving him 5th year option for never starting besides 1 game. Love walks after this season because Rodgers plays his BS games of will he or will he not return in 2024 and GB held hostage by him with his contract.

Jones was never, ever going to play out the third year of that contract he signed and IMO he’s not a Rodgers guy, he’s a ML guy. Not surprising at all to me and I don’t think he’s tied to Rodgers, in fact he’s probably one of the guys who would be better off if Rodgers leaves.

Jones was never, ever going to play out the third year of that contract he signed and IMO he’s not a Rodgers guy, he’s a ML guy. Not surprising at all to me and I don’t think he’s tied to Rodgers, in fact he’s probably one of the guys who would be better off if Rodgers leaves.
I can go with all that but the "he's an ML guy" He was drafted by TT when MM was the head coach for his zone running game. ML could take him or leave him in his system. Just saying

I can go with all that but the "he's an ML guy" He was drafted by TT when MM was the head coach for his zone running game. ML could take him or leave him in his system. Just saying
I know he predated ML, but his career only took off when they started running ML's system - that's all I meant. I see him as a guy who likes playing for the coach rather than the QB, if that makes sense.

If my rough calculations are right GB saves about 10 million or so off Jones $20 million cap number for 2023.

I just don't think AR has told the Packers jack squat about his plans. I think they are just having to do what a team needs to do to get their CAP in order. In a sense, I think this is more about making ML happy than AR. I think ML sees his value to the offense, while AR probably doesn't care as much about which running backs are there.

In effect, doesn’t this just kick the can one year down the road? Yeah, we’ll keep AJ in 2023. But they’ll have to renegotiate again next year or release him (WITH a cap hit).

I’m not a fan of the phantom years on contracts as that creates a snowball to avalanche that’ll be hard to overcome.

Back