Packers Defensive Issues

NO !!! No more 34 with soft zone DC. If you change it up you go get a young coach who gets after the defense. Screw hiring retreads

I totally agree. It's time to step it up. You can rebuild a defense in two or three years, so it has to be now, or the Rodgers era will be gone.

I totally agree. It's time to step it up. You can rebuild a defense in two or three years, so it has to be now, or the Rodgers era will be gone.

I think you could fix this D by the time the 2018 season starts, if the GM was committed to actually doing so, and could without breaking the budget or the locker room.

I know it's a completely different model, but the Badgers made the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and within one season were highly effective, and they've made it work with 3 different DCs in three years!

PS. and I heard Jimmy was receiving offers from other schools for DC and higher jobs... I don't think he'll go anywhere just yet (his wife loves Madison (and both of their entire families are in WI)), but it's a possibility, I guess.

You don't need to rebuild it. There are enough solid veterans in place. You need to get a DC who can get them to buy into a system (3-4 or 4-3) and play cohesively and with some god damn passion! One or two draft picks for EDGE rotation and another CB with speed a key FA and we could be easily a top half defense (provided we stay reasonably healthy). A DC with an ability to engage the players could really make a significant improvement. This team isn't going to make the playoffs this year and that should motivate them a little. We'll be okay, unless Capers is back. That would mean nobody is accountable, then it's over.

After looking around a little more I found a guy who I think would fit the bill for our new DC.

Ron Milus is currently DB coach with the LAC:
Entering his 18th NFL season, Milus served as a defensive backs coach for the Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos before landing with the Chargers in 2013.
He points to former NFL defensive coordinator and head coach Ray Rhodes, along with defensive assistant Rick Venturi, as mentors during his time in the NFL.
“He treats everybody the same,” said safety Jahleel Addae, who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2013, the same year Milus joined the staff. “He holds everyone accountable, whether you’re an undrafted player or a Pro Bowler.

Holds everyone accountable? Are we ready for this?

After looking around a little more I found a guy who I think would fit the bill for our new DC.

Ron Milus is currently DB coach with the LAC:
Entering his 18th NFL season, Milus served as a defensive backs coach for the Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos before landing with the Chargers in 2013.
He points to former NFL defensive coordinator and head coach Ray Rhodes, along with defensive assistant Rick Venturi, as mentors during his time in the NFL.
“He treats everybody the same,” said safety Jahleel Addae, who joined the Chargers as an undrafted rookie in 2013, the same year Milus joined the staff. “He holds everyone accountable, whether you’re an undrafted player or a Pro Bowler.

Holds everyone accountable? Are we ready for this?

Holds everyone accountable? I don't think that will work in GB. There always has to be a "fall guy" for coaching fiascos. His name is "execution." I almost spit my coffee all over my monitor when I read that last line. You hit the nail on the head!

I'm still trying to figure out whom I'd like to be the new head coach, if McCarthy leaves after this year, or even next year. It's a tough one to be honest.

Do I want to stick with the modified WCO on offense? Do I want to totally scrap the 3-4 defense? Who would make the best coordinators? How do you end up with the right HC that will bring in the best coordinators? Will it be a "good old boy" list of coaches or some new, fresh, ideas?

Is it possible McCarthy doesn't really know how to use the talent that Thompson is drafting? There are some ex-Packers around the league who are doing pretty well, and we just let them go. Was that on McCarthy? On Thompson? On both?

If we do get a new GM, who do they pick to insure he hires a solid HC, who will make the right decisions on assistants?

If you're looking for "fresh," do you leave the realm of NFL coaches already out there, and grab someone like the Eagles did, with Peterson, who has fresh new ideas, and has done a heckuva job? Maybe coax someone who played, into the front office as GM?

All the directions, and options, is mind boggling, but I do know one thing. I'd rather see the Packers step outside the box with their next decisions on GM and HC. Just don't bring in some college coach who thinks the veer, or the old Texas wishbone is the answer. I want to see someone who realizes that the 3 yard and a cloud of dust offense is too "Woody Hayes" for today's game.

As for Saban, not interested! Your thoughts?

I'm still trying to figure out whom I'd like to be the new head coach, if McCarthy leaves after this year, or even next year. It's a tough one to be honest.

Do I want to stick with the modified WCO on offense? Do I want to totally scrap the 3-4 defense? Who would make the best coordinators? How do you end up with the right HC that will bring in the best coordinators? Will it be a "good old boy" list of coaches or some new, fresh, ideas?

Is it possible McCarthy doesn't really know how to use the talent that Thompson is drafting? There are some ex-Packers around the league who are doing pretty well, and we just let them go. Was that on McCarthy? On Thompson? On both?

If we do get a new GM, who do they pick to insure he hires a solid HC, who will make the right decisions on assistants?

If you're looking for "fresh," do you leave the realm of NFL coaches already out there, and grab someone like the Eagles did, with Peterson, who has fresh new ideas, and has done a heckuva job? Maybe coax someone who played, into the front office as GM?

All the directions, and options, is mind boggling, but I do know one thing. I'd rather see the Packers step outside the box with their next decisions on GM and HC. Just don't bring in some college coach who thinks the veer, or the old Texas wishbone is the answer. I want to see someone who realizes that the 3 yard and a cloud of dust offense is too "Woody Hayes" for today's game.

As for Saban, not interested! Your thoughts?

I think you have to look at Bevell out in Seattle. Experience in the WCO and in GB, but can also scheme guys open with motion and seems more committed to the running game. Has experience with a scrambling QB in Wilson, which would add a comfort zone with Rodgers

Speaking of new coaches, this thread made me remember back when MM was hired one of his primary jobs was to break Favre of some of his bad habits, especially throwing INTs. What’re some of Rodgers bad habits that need to be broken? For me it’s disciplining him with the RPOs and getting him to hand off more.

Back