Packers Defensive Issues

C'mon guys. Capers isn't the problem. He is the best DC out there. You all know it comes down to execution....

Now who do we execute first?

C'mon guys. Capers isn't the problem. He is the best DC out there. You all know it comes down to execution....

Now who do we execute first?

I think it's against the law to execute defensive coordinators... at least in Green Bay!

See. This is why I am worried even Capers will stay.
I would not be surprised.

I also wouldn't put it past MM to keep him in order to prove that he is the one that wields the power, not the fans nor the press. All you ever hear, is how Capers is an innovative genius from his earlier years. I just don't see it anymore. The stats don't lie.

Last edited:
I have always felt that Kevin Greene left our coaching staff because of issues with Capers and probably Moss. I don't think they appreciated his coaching style, and I suspect, willingness to go nose to nose with them, over issues that he felt were undermining the defense's level of play on the field.

He's now with the Jets, and if they rise as a defensive power next year, and their LBs show real progress, we might be able to understand more about why he left Green Bay, other than that which was in the press.

I have always felt that Kevin Greene left our coaching staff because of issues with Capers and probably Moss. I don't think they appreciated his coaching style, and I suspect, willingness to go nose to nose with them, over issues that he felt were undermining the defense's level of play on the field.

He's now with the Jets, and if they rise as a defensive power next year, and their LBs show real progress, we might be able to understand more about why he left Green Bay, other than that which was in the press.

It would be interesting to know if there is more to the story of him leaving. I'm hoping that he succeeds with the Jets. The dude definitely has the passion. As for the Packers defense, the 4-3 stuff Mark posted is very good. I always liked Narduzzi(sp?).

From Adam Schefter via Rob Demovsky:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921588
Sources: Dom Capers, Packers defensive boss since '09, expected out after season

11:36 PM CTESPN
Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers, who has been with the team since 2009, is not expected to return next season, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Guide To The NFL Coaching Carousel
The Giants were the first team to fire their coach, but firing-and-hiring season in the NFL is only just beginning.

This will be the most significant of the off-season changes to Green Bay's defensive coaching staff.
Capers, 67, is coming to the end of his ninth season in charge of the Packers' defense. It's the longest he's spent in any NFL job since he broke into the league with the New Orleans Saints in 1986.
He was twice a head coach -- both with expansion teams (the Carolina Panthersin 1995-98, and the Houston Texans in 2001-2005) -- and was fired from both jobs.
Capers addressed speculation of his job earlier this week by saying "my plans are from week to week in this business."
Dom Capers has been the Packers' defensive coordinator since 2009. He has also served as head coach to two expansion teams -- the Panthers and the Texans. AP Photo/Bob Leverone
"One thing I've learned through a long career is you don't want to spend any time in this business concerning yourself with things that you don't have any control over, you know? You put the blinders on, you go to work, you try to be consistent in the way you do things and try to get guys ready to play," Capers said.
The Packers' defense will finish outside the top 15 in the league rankings for the sixth time in seven years. If the Packers don't improve from their current 22nd overall defensive ranking after Sunday's finale at Detroit, it will be the fourth time in that stretch in which they've finished in the bottom third of the NFL (including a dead-last ranking in 2011).
Capers hasn't fielded a defense ranked in the top 10 since the Super Bowl season of 2010, when it was fifth.
ESPN's Rob Demovsky contributed to this report.

Back