Packers Free Agency: Letroy Guion agrees to 3-year deal, per report

I doubt he'll be offered less than Guion. Ted likes to keep his own - especially first rounders. And I don't see another team offering BJ the moon. I don't think we can have too many fatties in there.

Don't know if they will give him 4 million a year also.

Kinda surprised that Guion was the 1st one re-signed. But like some have said maybe they have offered Raji something and he hasn't/won't take it.

I can't see Raji making big money either. But you never know.

I doubt he'll be offered less than Guion. Ted likes to keep his own - especially first rounders. And I don't see another team offering BJ the moon. I don't think we can have too many fatties in there.
Based on production he should be paid less

This is an OK move. The deal may look better or worse depending on the structure. I'm guessing there are some character clauses in the deal.

Raji is still in play. He may just want to test the waters and see what his value is on the open market, but he may find that Guion's deal is about as rich a deal as he can find, so may end up taking similar money.

Pennell is a nice, cheap depth guy but if he could do what Guion and Raji could do he would be getting more snaps, so apparently he's not doing quite as much. Hopefully he continues to develop because it's good to have depth at DL to keep guys fresh. Also hope we can add another big guy to the mix in a draft that is pretty deep at DL "bigs".

I still think we'll make a play at Raji. That is more money than I expected for Guion though.

The one leaking these news is almost always the agent, and it's usually good news for the team if nothing is said about guarantees... And in exchange for low guarantees, the team can pay a bit more per year for the security of knowing they can cut the player at any point.

3.75 avg was more than I thought, but then I usually spend February and March repeating "more than I thought". :D

This signing completely removes the need to draft a run-stuffer. G'luck elsewhere, Jarran Reed ;)

I'm a little surprised that Guion was first, and for so much. I would have thought Ted would start lower with him. But as others have said, it could just be that he started out offering similar money to both, and Guion just had the good sense to be the first to say yes. Based on how much he thought he was worth during previous contract negotiations, he probably has a higher number in mind for himself - so it wouldn't surprise me if he's slow to come around. The Guion signing may even delay negotiations, because his agent will probably argue that Guion's contract raises the floor for Raji.

If he doesn't get any bigger offers, he'll probably stay in Green Bay rather than go play for a coach who may not tolerate his inconsistent production. He may get more somewhere else, but I wouldn't pay much more if I were a GM. He's past the point in his career where he can demand big money for potential - players his age get paid for production, and his track record is pretty well-established at this point. Personally, i don't think he has the numbers to argue for much more than this. I think it's even money he's back with Green Bay, but if Ted overpays him and ignores the linebacker problem again this offseason, I swear to god I am going to say some extremely unpleasant things about the man.

Love the Guion signing. Less than $4 mil per over 3 years is a steal so long as he can provide the same production he has for us the last two seasons. Look around the league at what other DT's are getting and it's an incredibly reasonable contract. Pretty much identical to the deal Sammie Hill signed in 2013.

I thought some more about Guion's contract. I don't have the details, but if there were any significant guarantees, the agent would be hyping the heck outta the fact. He chose to leak just the 11.3M amount...and what that almost always means in Agentese is:

"It is NOT a 11.3M deal, except in name only."

If none of the deal was guaranteed, Guion would have to earn even the 1st year in camp. If multiple players beat him at his job, he'd get the axe for zero cap hit. But I suspect Guion got some little portion of it guaranteed, enough to keep him on the roster for the 1st year (interesting to see his 1st year haul). I bet he will still be easily "cuttable" in 2017, should the team want to move on for whatever reason.

A deal like that does not mean ANYTHING for Packers' long term plans, or plans for other players or acquisitions. It simply means we have Guion as an option for 2016, and hold his rights should he produce.

I doubt TT is planning on building our D around Guion. He's not that kinda talent.

Back