Packers Release Jordy Nelson

cobb had nowhere to drop to. when was the last time he had a good season? (2014 is the answer)

and i'd like to point out that unlike with jordy, we didn't just cut cobb when his production dropped by 50% after 2014. instead, we kept paying him millions of dollars more than he was worth. even more puzzling is that cobb's still on the team. jordy wasn't worth 12.5 million because he had one bad season? guess what - he still had two more touchdowns than cobb (who was being paid more than jordy, by the way).

I was going to leave this be but after the thread and comments on shout... I changed my mind. I get the business end of the move. However other teams take players like Nelson and change them to a # 3 possession WR that find holes in the zones and carves teams up in the red zone. No more 15 plus yard routes..find the hole and catch. However when your HC is a stubborn ass who won't change you have no choice but to do what GB did.

He may never be an all pro but in the right fit, 700 yards and 6-9 TD is realistic. Hopefully he doesn't come back and haunt us in a playoff game.

There have been some good comments on this subject. I tend to agree with both sides as it's an amalgamation of many factors. Jordy has lost a step. Isn't the same as he was. HC doesn't necessarily craft his offense in a way that puts Jordy in the 3 spot. On the other hand, how much do you pay him to stay in the 3 spot? Does he even want to be considered a 3? All we see is the 1265 business side but maybe Jordy wasn't willing on his end either. It's definitely a sad day to see a Packers great leave. Will he fit in another offense? Sure. I'm sure he'll snag a few receptions and TDs. Jerry Rice did with the Seahawks. Does it make it wrong that GB let him go? Not in my opinion. This season will show us if it was a mistake or not. I'm not high in this offensive staff anyhow and I'm not holding my breath on a suitable, developed, replacement but it was either bring Jordy back at a reasonable price, which will be highly debatable, or release him. Neither thought it was in their best interest.

Last edited:
and i'd like to point out that unlike with jordy, we didn't just cut cobb when his production dropped by 50% after 2014. instead, we kept paying him millions of dollars more than he was worth. even more puzzling is that cobb's still on the team. jordy wasn't worth 12.5 million because he had one bad season? guess what - he still had two more touchdowns than cobb (who was being paid more than jordy, by the way).
Legitimate points. So are their age and position. As I watch the WRs for the last 10 games though, I saw Cobb still huffin' it out there, but Jordy was no where to be found. I'm sure there were many factors that went into the decision. Cobb was not nearly as loved as Jordy, but I'm going to give Gute the benefit of the doubt on this one, because when I take my heart out of it, I can see why this decision was made. It really does resemble the end of Jerry Rice's career. I'm sure there were thousands of 49er fans who didn't like how that ended either.

For the"he's done " crowd >>>
an Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 2m2 minutes agoMore
The #Raiders deal for WR Jordy Nelson is not a done deal just yet. I’m told they have real competition from the #Saints. They are making a hard push. The #Seahawks aren’t out yet.

Don't think so

For the"he's done " crowd >>>

Don't think so

Interest in a player and money spent on a player are not proof that a player is or isn't done. Example, Seattle let Jimmy Graham walk but GB signed him for good money. Is GB's interest proof he isn't done?

Cutting a player for money reasons is not proof that the player is or isn't done. Example, Julius Peppers.

Jordy can still catch passes, he will probably score more TDs with another team. That's irrelevant to what GB is doing.

You seem to be making a black and white issue out of something that isn't so.

I dont think anybody said he is done, but have said he is in decline, which is obvious in watching his play last year. He may have a good season left in him, thats to be seen. Because teams are intetested in him doesnt mean anything more than they need wr help now.

Always better to let a player go a year eatly than year to late. In this case, BG made the right call, even if just for cap room.

Always better to let a player go a year eatly than year to late. In this case, BG made the right call, even if just for cap room.

Yeah or even further, BG made A call because he had to make a call. We don't know if it's the right one or not and really may not ever know. They made a call based on their own evaluations of his play, but if he bounces back with a monster year elsewhere it doesn't mean he'd have done the same in GB, and likewise if he does nothing elsewhere it doesn't mean he still couldn't have been productive in a limited or different role in GB.

I have to admit, watching all the tribute videos has made me very sad and nostalgic. He's a great Packer. It sucks.

I posted this somewhere else, but would like to share it here.
Jordy will probably be better off somewhere else where he will be in a system that will allow him to find soft spots in the defense. He is wily and experienced, great teammate and a positive in the locker room. Where he does not fit anymore is in GB, because of MMs system. Jordy is not going to win the M2M contests anymore. He's lost a step and that's a fatal flaw in Macho Mike's scheme.
In a weird flip of usual circumstances, Jordy's going to be more effective in a new system than the one he came from. Just a different perspective.
The most pi**ed off person I know is my youngest, who just bought his jersey last fall.;)

I posted this somewhere else, but would like to share it here.
Jordy will probably be better off somewhere else where he will be in a system that will allow him to find soft spots in the defense. He is wily and experienced, great teammate and a positive in the locker room. Where he does not fit anymore is in GB, because of MMs system. Jordy is not going to win the M2M contests anymore. He's lost a step and that's a fatal flaw in Macho Mike's scheme.
In a weird flip of usual circumstances, Jordy's going to be more effective in a new system than the one he came from. Just a different perspective.
The most pi**ed off person I know is my youngest, who just bought his jersey last fall.;)

Totally agree with this.

Jordy Nelson on Packers cutting him: "Obviously that was a shock to the system. Not something you want to hear after you've been somewhere for 10 years."

Back